PDA

View Full Version : Decreased milk supply.........but only with one breast?

smallestangel
03-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Hi

Well, we got past the engorgement thanks to some heavy duty pumping and things were going fairly well. But now I'm concerned that for one reason or another, my milk supply has decreased during this past week. BUT only on the left breast. The reasons I suspect this are: When I pump, I get just a few drops when I used to get atleast three ounces, Jacob seems unsatisfied after nursing (as opposed to when he nurses on the right and gets that happy little drunk look on his face), and my breast is about two cup sizes smaller than the right (atleast). I also used to leak like a faucet and now I don't leak at all.

Any thoughts? I know his latch isn't the greatest on that side. I'm right handed, and finding a good position when nursing on the left is awkward for us. So maybe the breast isn't being stimulated enough? What different things can I do to up my supply?

Thanks

Amanda
Jacob born 3/11/04 :)

sparkeze
03-26-2004, 04:39 AM
How are you holding him for nursing? Do you have pain when nursing on the left side? If you feel that he's not latched on properly on the left side that could be contributing to reduced supply if he's not stimulating the left breast well. You could try either doing the football hold on the left side, except with your hands the same as they would be for the right - so your right hand holding his head. Or you could try the cross cradle hold, where you would hold him like you were doing the cradle hold, except your right hand would be around him, holding his head.

But if you're not experiencing any pain and him nursing feels the same as it does on the right side, it could just be that you didn't nurse him as much on that side because it was awkward, then the right breast started producing more and your DS preferred that, and then it just repeated itself. Do you think that's a possibility? To increase your supply on the left side you just need to either nurse more often on that side (especially when your baby wants to comfort nurse)and/or pump on the left side while or after your baby nurses on the right. If that doesn't seem to help after a few days you might want to call a LC. But don't worry, you can produce plenty of milk even on only one side (look at twins!)

HTH!

KGoes
03-26-2004, 11:13 AM
We have something similar - DD clearly prefers one breast to the other, and as a result my left side is a bit of a slacker. The best thing to do is to nurse as often as possible on that side. Try different positions - DD's favorite when she was your DS' age was when I was laying down on the bed. You can always start nursing on the weak side and then switch him to the fuller side to keep stimulating the weak side. You could also try pumping on the weaker side after each nursing session, but DS is the best way to stimulate production. It will likely take a few days for you to notice a difference and production may never equal the other side, but it's worth the effort since for the first three months or so you are telegraphing to your body production amounts for the rest of your nursing career - good luck!

Kelley
DD born 7/03

jerseygirl07067
03-26-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Amanda,

I had the same problem. I have a flatter nipple on my left side so in the beginning, DD would not always latch on to that side consistently. Because I was so concerned in the beginning about her getting enough, I would always wind up having her go to the "better side" just to make sure she was getting enough. I would always pump the left side though, and once her latch got better, I would often start her on the left side, then even pump a bit after to further increase stimulation to the left side.
I too am right handed and I find that the cross cradle hold works well so I can support by breast for DD and thus help keep her latched on. If I didn't do this in the beginning, she would sometimes pop off. Over time her latch should improve. If not a LC should be able to help.
I do find that my right side has more of those "streams" coming out when I pump, (okay, TMI :) ) but now if I am diligent, I can often get almost as much milk from the left side, it just takes a bit longer.

HTH!
Mary

netne
03-27-2004, 12:03 AM
I noticed after a bout of mastitis that my supply went down on the affected (right) side. It's never fully recovered and I still get an ounce or two less on that side (5 months later). I try to start more of my nursing sessions on the right side to stimulate more production. It's helped some but I don't think it will ever fully catch back up to the left side. I'm not too concerned though. Still making plenty of milk overall.

The other posters have already given you all of the tips I would have suggested. Just try not to neglect that side even if it is more awkward. It will get easier and after a few months you'll be ampiboobterous. hahaha

DebbieJ
03-27-2004, 02:51 PM
My supply is lower on the left also. My LC said to always start on that side when his sucking is the most vigorous.

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03