PDA

View Full Version : Is pumping more/less painful than having baby feed?

hellosmiletoday
03-27-2004, 12:34 AM
I'm due in May and am researching BF options, though I will wait to make any final decisions 4-6 wks after delivery.

I will be staying home for 12 months due to my husband transfering to another city in a year. I doubt I will remain at home that long for future children. Therefore, cost is not a factor with breast pumps, as it will hopefully be an "investment".

After hearing stories about the difficulty and pain of Bfing, and the number of feedings per day, I feel that I would prefer to pump and keep a freezer stash, so that I do not feel "trapped" inside, as I will not BF in public.

Which pump is the easiest to use...and is pumping more or less painful than having the baby feed? Which is less painful...manual or pump? Basically, my question is which pump will encourage me to keep up with BFing the longest...and dont care how much it costs b/c it will be cheaper than formula no matter what!

I havent been able to find answers to these questions in a book. They just recommend a manual for stay-at-home moms, and an electric for going to work....giving me the feeling that a stay-at-home mom is going to have to struggle just because she has time to spare???? This feels a bit offensive.

Edited 3-28-03...I think my post was misleading. I do not plan to exclusively pump (therefore should not have "supply" issues). I plan on occasionally pumping. I dont mind nursing at home!

My question was basically if there is a pump (and if so which one) for creating a back-up stash for going out, engorgement, etc. Even if I'm not pumping everyday, I'm not so concerned with the cost cause I can always reuse it for a future baby or if I decide to BF for longer than 1 year (I will return to work in 1 yr). Is it not possible to go out for a little while and just give the baby a bottle rather than having to NIP or pump/nurse in a public restroom. I stress that I will not want to NIP...everyone is different, and unfortunately, that's just the way I feel. Can I create a back-up bottle supply for times like this? Oddly enough, if I was working, pumping in a restroom doesn't bother me cause the bathrooms at work are much nicer and cleaner than in public places.

Rachels
03-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Once you and your baby get the hang of nursing, it's WAY easier and much more comfortable than pumping. Keep an open mind and get the name of several LCs now. Your feelings about nursing and NIP may well change once your body begins to make the exact food your baby needs. It's such a miracle, and the connection when you nurse is amazing. Pumping to me is uncomfortable and a chore.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Karenn
03-27-2004, 01:16 AM
I agree with Rachel. Nursing is far simpler than pumping and freezing once you get the hang of it. I was amazed at how easy and second nature it became.

In terms of manual or electric pumps, I had both as a SAHM. The electric (a Medela Pump In Style) was more convenient for me to use. I could just sit back and let the motor do the work. But, the manual (an Avent Isis) was often more efficient. I'm not sure why. Neither pump was painful for me, but they were both a little more uncomfortable than a nursing baby.

Nursing the baby was only painful in the beginning, and part of that was because he had a "poor latch." I'm certain that working more closely with a Lactation Consultant would have reduced the pain. Once Colin and I both knew what we were doing, there was nothing about nursing that was physically uncomfortable for me.

Good luck,

wagner36
03-27-2004, 01:21 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with Rachel. I've been pumping (while at work) for DS for 7 months and nursing (once you've made it past six weeks or so) is so much easier. Right now, DS nurses in about 3 minutes, while pumping (and the set-up and clean-up) takes about 20 minutes. That doesn't include the time wasted freezing, dating, thawing, etc.

The first six weeks of nursing can be hard. For us, it wasn't painful or anything, it just took a long time for DS to nurse (40 minutes or so) and he ate constantly. Once you get the hang of it, it is heaven compared to the hassle of pumping.

Most Lactation Consultants (and you should get some names now, so you're not desperate at 2am) and pediatricians will tell you not to start pumping for your stash until about 6-8 weeks. If you pump earlier than that, it can interfere with regulating your supply. Most doctors also recommend delaying the introduction to a bottle until around the same time, to avoid nipple confusion.

I purchased a Avent Isis before DS was born, just so that I'd have something on hand if I needed it. I've never been able to get the hang of that thing, but some people swear by it. About 2 months after he was born, I purchased a Medela Pump in Style for my return to work. I really like that pump, but it wasn't enough for me to keep my supply up as his needs increased, so I have been renting a Medela Lactina for the last few months.

My guess is that manual pumps are recommend to occasional pumpers NOT because they think SAHMs have more time to mess around with a manual pump, but because people who nurse more frequently than they pump don't need a hospital grade pump to maintain their supply. With my busy schedule, there are days that I exclusively pump and DS doesn't nurse at all. If I was using an ISIS, my body would not be able to maintain its milk supply because the ISIS doesn't have the same cycling as a baby does. The more expensive breastpumps mimic nursing better (as well as being more durable, etc.) and so your supply is better maintained (though nothing will send those messages like your actual baby).

I woudn't buy any pump now, unless its an ISIS. The warranty starts from the date of purchase, so buying it before you need it is kind of silly. Plus, you just have no idea how your breastfeeding relationship is going to develop and your needs and feelings may change.

I would also suggesting taking a breastfeeding class and checking with your pediatrician on support that they provide. Our pediatrician's website has some excellent information on breastfeeding, and they've been nothing but supportive.

Good luck!

Judegirl
03-27-2004, 02:16 AM
Hi! Check out http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppexcluspump

You might even want to pose this question there. There are a lot of women on those boards who just pump for a whole host of reasons, ranging from trouble breats feeding to just not wanting to. You'll likely get a varied sample of opinions. While the advice on this board has been great, I've found that most posts I've read are pro-direct breastfeeding, so it can be difficult to get information from people who prefer to pump.

Should you choose to go that route, there's also a Yahoo group for EPers (women who exclusively pump), which I just learned about here the other day. I don't have the wesbite handy, but it should be each to find in Yahoo groups.

Good luck! I'll be an EPer, so I'll look for you around. (Btw, I decided on a Medela Pump In Style, after many many months on the EP boards. I'll let you know how good/bad I find it once I get started.)

Best,
Jude

kaitlinsmommy
03-27-2004, 02:23 AM
Congratulations on your coming arrival & for trying to give your baby breastmilk!

I used a Lactina (hospital pump), Pump in Style & Isis. The PIS was by far the best for me and I got the most milk from it. It was loaned to me by a friend but I will definitely purchase one for my next baby even though I'm a SAHM.

There is no pain in pumping, but to be honest, bf was very painful for me the first few weeks. Of course, I'm glad I hung there because the pain goes away and it is so easy to do (no bottles to warm, etc).

I never had a problem bf in public so I didn't pump that much. But definitely do whatever makes you comfortable. Just keep in mind that your baby's nursing will be more efficient than a pump and will help increase your supply. In the first month or two, your baby will probably be eating every few hourse (for 30 minutes at a time). There's not much time left for pumping unless you don't mind having something or someone constantly attached to your breast.

Good luck with everything!

Judegirl
03-27-2004, 02:28 AM
Here are a few more on EPing and how hard it is and isn't...

http://www.epinions.com/content_2442895492

http://pages.ivillage.com/epers/whoswho/id1.html

http://www.deleons.com/Pumpinginfo/

kijip
03-27-2004, 03:11 AM
I wholeheartedly support your choice about how you feed your baby. I do have a bit of caution, as a mom who pumped a lot and has been to many lacatation nurses. I had a baby in the NICU post-birth and I had to start with a pump. For most women who are not nursing at the breast the only pump worth trying to establish a supply with is a hospital grade electric. The big one, like the Medela Classic. Not the smaller Lactina, not the PIS, not any manual pump. Some woman are able to do fine with the PIS but I think it is worth starting with the most powerful. Also the Classic is more comfortable than the pump-in-style. Without the baby to establish a supply, using a pump intended for working moms with established supplies like the PIS could be risky. Medela does not market the PIS to moms pumping without nursing from birth. NICU moms are most often directed to, and for a reason, the rental electrics. See if you can try one at the hospital postpartum. Also, if you have a section delivery it is a good idea to ask for hormones, like Dom Peridone, to help you lactate and pump sucessfully. I have used the Classic, the Ameda equiv of the Classic, the Lactina, the PIS and Purely Yours, the Avent and scores of others. The Classic (and the identical Ameda) was the best for me. If you get a supply going the PIS should work after 6-8 weeks. You could rent the Classic at first, then buy the PIS or Purely yours once you have a supply. Best wishes and don't let anyone guilt you for not wanting to nurse- all moms get to decide for themselves!

hellosmiletoday
03-27-2004, 03:27 AM
Thank you for all the information and websites! It has been exceedingly helpful to get real-life experience. I was planning on nursing exclusively for the recommended 6-8 month time period, but the idea of nursing exclusively after that makes me uncomfortable, yet I want to avoid formula. I will wait until purchasing a pump until then...I'm just trying to learn about what's ahead!

Although I will be a SAHM, I was wondering what you do if you want to go out for a full day and dont want to BF in public...what about if you get sick...go on vacation...or if you want to "sleep" and let DH take care of the feeding every now and then. I'm not very informed yet about the number of times a baby needs to be fed...Once they get older, how often do they need to be nursed...maybe that will help me determine if I need to pump. I'm definitely not opposed to nursing, I just want the option of having a back-up supply, and I want to make it as easy as possible on myself to achieve that back-up supply.

I'm realizing that a BF class would be invaluable...but the teaching hospital I'm delivering offers a Labor/BF class in July (how helpful when you are due in May!)...and with my husband being a resident, having one car, and classes at other hospitals being so expensive...I'm worried we just may not have the time and I will have to rely on books...Book suggestions???

Another good reason for doing this research early is that I need to register baby items for a family anxious to buy me lots (but less likely to get gift cards)...so I registered a microwave sterilizer....have a dishwasher, but bad septic system in rental. Not registering a pump as I'll wait on that.

chlobo
03-27-2004, 08:12 AM
I exclusively breastfeed but also wanted a little freedom. I have the Ameda Purely yours, which is fine for me (I also have nothing to compare it to). My dd is 4.5 months old. Currently she sleeps through the night with one night feeding. She goes to bed around 6:30-6:45. The routine I've established is that I get up about 45 min. before dd and pump a bottle (this is the time when my supply is greatest). Then dd gets up and I feed her. She usually nurses about every 2 hours during thee day. In the evening, my husband will give her a bottle and then put her down giving me a break & giving them some bonding. Then, at around 9:30pm I'll pump again before I go to bed (usually get less than a bottle). I keep a stash of 3 fresh bottles in the fridge and a small stash in the freezer. DH uses the fresh every evening.

When I want to go out w/o the baby or have someone else feed her we use milk from the freezer stash. This system seems to be working well. I don't geenrate huge amounts of milk (never have) so I haven't been able to create a huge freezer stash. I'm unwilling to try to pump more often during the day cause the baby takes a lot of time.

Keep in mind that when you choose not to bf the baby you will have to pump at some point to drain your breasts or else you'll get engorged. You'll also have to pump to replace what you just used. And that takes time away from the baby and other things you have to do. I have to say I find this aspect (pump to replace) to be the most tedious aspect of baby feeding. However, during the first few months when dd was extremely fussy I really needed a break from her so being able to have dh feed her was a real blessing. Also, dh really likes being able to feed dd.

I've beem away long enough for her to have several bottles in a row and she seems fine with it.

My advice would be to try to find a way to discreetly nurse in public so you arent tied to the pump instead of the baby (baby is way more cuddly) but to build a stash for those times when you will be away from the baby or just need a break.

HTH

stillplayswithbarbies
03-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Even very young babies only eat every two hours or so, so you will be able to get out without the baby for a trip to the grocery store or the mall or whatever.

Once baby is older, they usually nurse for about 10 minutes at a time at predictable times, so you can plan your outings that way. It's really easy now at 12 months Logan nurses maybe 4 or 5 times a day, sometimes less.

The longer you breastfeed, the easier it gets.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

houseof3boys
03-27-2004, 11:25 AM
You had said the "recommended 6-8 month time period" and I just wanted to say that the AAP recommendation is one year. The WHO recommendation is 2 years.

I think it is wonderful that you are doing so much research in preparation of your upcoming arrival. :) It is much easier to understand all of this stuff once the baby comes. You might be one of those women that just has no problems or challenges whatsoever with the baby and all of this worrying is for nothing.

The most helpful thing you can do is to have an LC lined up for after your delivery. Most hospitals have them on staff and you should ask to see one immediately so that you can have someone there for questions and guidance on positions to hold the baby. I read 2 books before I gave birth and took a specific class on breastfeeding with my husband. That being said, I still saw 4 different LC's before I left the hospital. Maybe go to a LLL meeting now while you are pregnant so that you can meet the leaders and learn firsthand about BFing. I had never seen anyone breastfeed before I went to a meeting and it was an eye opener for me and a good education. It is not unusual for a pregnant woman to go to the meeting either!

I am a SAHM and got a PIS before the baby was born and got to use it while I was in the hospital still! I love the pump and am happy I spent the money and got it. I plan on having more children so the expense of it was worth it. I also use it when we are on a road trip and driving down the road in the car (yes, I'm sure the truckers enjoy seeing that one) on the battery pack.

You don't really need a sterilizer though. Maybe register for a few different brands of bottles (Dr. Brown's wide and Avent wide are some favs around here). You can boil the bottles or put them in the dishwasher instead of using a sterilizer.

If you search the posts, there is tons of advice on this and would be good reading for you!

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your decision to breastfeed. It is a wonderful thing for you and for the baby and it is quite rewarding. Don't get discouraged if things are confusing in the beginning since it is like that for many of us and you just have to stick it out until it gets easier. It is new to you and the baby so *sometimes* it is challenging, sometimes it is not. :)

toomanystrollers
03-27-2004, 12:02 PM
One of my favorite books is "The Nursing Mother's Companion" by Kathleen Huggins.

Breastfeeding has not slowed me down one bit. With our first, I easily nursed in the car or out at the mall - dressing rooms - nursing lounges at Baby Gap, etc. To me, pumping slowed me down :) And remember, around 6 - 8 months, your baby may be going full swing with cereals, fruits, veggies, etc. Right now, Neve (almost 9 months) - probably nurses 4x during the day (10 mins. max each time) and once during the night (20 mins).

I'm sure you'll find how easy bf'ing is once that 'lil bundle is in your arms. If possible, get yourself to a breastfeeding support group/La Leche League before and after baby is born. And I'm sure other BBB members here would be happy to help you that live in your area - just ask :)

suribear
03-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Others have given you good advice. i just wanted to reiterate that it DOES get a lot easier after the first week or so. I found it much easier to just nurse than to pump and bottle feed, though that is great as a backup when you need some time to yourself! As for NIP, if you don't feel comfortable you can always nurse in the car or fitting rooms, Nordstrom women's lounge :) , etc...

it's harder to establish a good supply with pumping alone - nothing is as effective as the baby suckling. If you do decide to go the pumping only route, you should check out message boards on that topic. I've seen them on ivillage, for instance.

And the ideal recommended is at least 1-2 years :) Obviously, that's up to you!

I have both manual and electric pumps. A lot of people like the manual Avent Isis and say that it is as effective as the electric. It's also great for travel!

Do get a good lactation consultant or other support if you decide to nurse. YOu need someone to show you hands on how to do it and trouble shoot in the event of problems. You might not have any issues, but just in case.

Good luck!

Kris

calebsmama03
03-27-2004, 05:35 PM
As Pam said, you will become an expert at navigating your local mall, etc to find the most private places to nurse. Fancy department stores have nice bathrooms with couches/chairs that are great for nursing while out. I never thought I'd nurse in public, but now I do it without a second thought. Keep an open mind - you might find it isn't so bad afterall to NIP. No one really pays much attention I've found, and it's easy to be discreet with the right clothing - think layers - a sling or a blanket. Some people are never comfortable with NIP, and that's OK too.

Re your first post, I pump at work and have for 9 mos now. I find nursing WAY more comfortable (after the initial 6 weeks was over, that is). I have used a Lactina rental, Pump in Style and Purely Yours, no manual ones. Either way I'd rent a pump before you drop a lot of money. The rental is about $40/month, and you might be able to get the hospital to give you the collection kit and bill insurance for it (mine did).
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Momof3Labs
03-27-2004, 07:18 PM
>After hearing stories about the difficulty and pain of Bfing,
>and the number of feedings per day, I feel that I would prefer
>to pump and keep a freezer stash, so that I do not feel
>"trapped" inside, as I will not BF in public.

If you are exclusively pumping, you won't necessarily have much of a freezer stash, you will be pumping to give at the next meal - it is tough to produce a lot more than your baby needs, especially when you are pumping alone. And keep in mind that you will have to pump every time the baby eats for the first 3-4 months, so your number of feedings will actually be worse while pumping (since you will, say, pump 10-12 times per day PLUS feed baby a bottle 10-12 times per day, so you are looking at 20-24 feedings per day time and effort-wise). It's okay if you absolutely don't want to BF in public, but if you feed your baby a bottle, you have to find a way to pump at around the same time, so I don't think that exclusively pumping gets you completely around the problem that you present. I never thought I would nurse in public, so started with dressing rooms and the backseat of the car, and finally graduated to restaurants, airports, airplanes, etc.

>Which pump is the easiest to use...and is pumping more or
>less painful than having the baby feed? Which is less
>painful...manual or pump? Basically, my question is which
>pump will encourage me to keep up with BFing the longest...and
>dont care how much it costs b/c it will be cheaper than
>formula no matter what!

If you are exclusively pumping, you really need to rent the best double electric pump you can find. Everything else will make it harder to maintain your supply.

>I havent been able to find answers to these questions in a
>book. They just recommend a manual for stay-at-home moms, and
>an electric for going to work....giving me the feeling that a
>stay-at-home mom is going to have to struggle just because she
>has time to spare???? This feels a bit offensive.

Nothing offensive about it - SAHMs usually pump less and don't want to spend as much money, so a manual pump is a great way to go. Working moms need a strong pump to maintain their supply for 40+ hours a week, and a double pump to get the job done quickly. A double electric serves their purpose.

One thought that comes to my mind is whether or not exclusively pumping would work for you really depends on your baby's temperament. Colin was feisty (though not colicky) for his first three months and refused to be set down, except at nighttime. I don't know how I would have had the time or energy to feed him a bottle and then pump after every feeding - that's a LOT of time spent cleaning bottles and pump parts, pumping and making up bottles.

I'd suggest that you consult a lactation consultant and lay out your priorities in order, then she can help you decide how best to meet your goals. While bf'ing was VERY hard for the first week, it has been the best thing that I've done - we're still nursing occasionally at 18 months. And it was substantially easier (and cheaper) than any other form of feeding once we got through the first few weeks (and that first growth spurt)!

ETA: For me, pumping hurt more than nursing. Pumps are hard on the nipples, too, though I will admit that they don't grow teeth!!

Judegirl
03-27-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry, but the idea that pumping necessarily results in a low supply is a myth that keeps popping up all over this board.

There are a LOT of women who exclusively pump and have enough milk to donate, let alone maintain their own supply and a freezer stash. Pumping does not necessarily mean supply problems. (See above links for more info, if you're interested. And I can send several more, if you'd like!)

It's true that women who nurse AND pump often have an easier time getting milk when they're nursing than when they're pumping. But women who have never nursed at all often have no trouble pumping out plenty of milk.

If you talk to women who EP, along with women who do both, you'll find that many women have no supply problems at all. Further, there are lots of tips and tricks out there to increase your supply through pumping if you're doing both and having more trouble with pumping.

Best,
Jude

Momof3Labs
03-27-2004, 09:43 PM
I never said that EP'ing necessarily results in a low supply, but it is definitely more of a battle than supply is while nursing directly. I've read many, many posts from women (and known a few personally) who tried to EP and have a hard time pumping enough times a day to get the quantity needed to feed their babies. Yes, there are plenty of women who EP and produce enough for their babies and then some, but I don't think that it is safe to assume that it is a given that if you are only pumping, then you will have plenty for both baby and the freezer.

I am a working mom who travels a fair amount for business, so I both nursed and pumped for a year - and now continue to nurse only.

I wish you the best of luck!

stillplayswithbarbies
03-28-2004, 01:13 AM
>
>After hearing stories about the difficulty and pain of Bfing,
>and the number of feedings per day, I feel that I would prefer
>to pump and keep a freezer stash, so that I do not feel
>"trapped" inside, as I will not BF in public.
>

Pumping will not help with the "trapped" feeling as you will have to pump as often as baby eats. I'd much rather nurse in public than pump in public.

>Which pump is the easiest to use...and is pumping more or
>less painful than having the baby feed?

pumping is more painful than having the baby nurse. I have had to pump for three days twice while on business trips and it just plain hurts after awhile and I am glad to get home and give my nipples a break.

> Which is less
>painful...manual or pump?

the manual pump is less painful on my nipples, but my hand starts to hurt after awhile.

>Basically, my question is which
>pump will encourage me to keep up with BFing the longest...and
>dont care how much it costs b/c it will be cheaper than
>formula no matter what!

Talk to a lactation consultant and see what they suggest. I would think you will need a hospital grade pump to keep your supply up.

>
>I havent been able to find answers to these questions in a
>book. They just recommend a manual for stay-at-home moms, and
>an electric for going to work....giving me the feeling that a
>stay-at-home mom is going to have to struggle just because she
>has time to spare???? This feels a bit offensive.
>

I don't think there are any books about exclusively pumping. It's very hard work, it's probably the hardest way to feed a baby. The yahoo group pumpmoms is a good resource, read the archives there.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

signsing
03-28-2004, 02:56 AM
Nursing is easier and less painful. My son was born 4 weeks premature and I needed to pump to help establish my supply. Lactation Consultants were a godsend! I suggest getting to know them the sooner the better!
My son is now 9 mos and nursed approx 4-5 times a day. Sometimes more when he is teething (for comfort). I read somewhere that it is a good idea to have 6 bottles pumped in case you get sick or any kind of emergency. I've never really had that but I always thought it was a good idea.
Medela is said to be the best quality pump. The better the quality the better it will be at getting milk out of you. Nothing is as good as your baby, that's the way its designed.
The first 6 weeks are the toughest, then all of a sudden you realize that its not so bad.
also I want to reiterate that when you give a bottle, you need to pump. Your breasts will produce what you give out. So if your baby takes in 4 oz, your body will create 4 oz for the next feeding. If your baby takes a bottle, you need to pump to stimulate your breasts to reproduce that milk, otherwise your body will decrease the supply.
I'll also ditto on the bf in public. There are always places to go to have some privacy. Dressing rooms, department store bathrooms, quiet corner booths of a restaurant, and there is always your car.

My sugestion is to invest in a sling, practice using it at home and then bring it with you when you go out so you can be discreet. Most people are clueless that you are feeding the baby.

I was nursing my son in a sling today and someone told me that I should lift his head up it was slumping. I smiled and explained that he was nursing not sleeping. It was really cute.

HTH
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

wagner36
03-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Jude,
I've been a member of the Yahoo Pumpmoms group, which I believe you referenced above, for over a year (although I don't post much anymore, since pumping is now going so smoothly for us, but I read the digests religiously), and without a strict dedication to pumping schedules and a hospital grade grade pump, most women who EP have (at least occasional) supply problems. The problem may not be persistant, but a pump doesn't know when your baby goes through a growth spurt, and even when you use different methods to increase your milk supply, it still takes time before your body responds to increased pumping, galactogogues, etc.

I actually feel like the quality of information on the pumpmoms site has decreased over the last few months. There are a lot more OT posts and less quality information, IMO, but I still think it is a great resource, especially if you go back and look at the older posts.

Women who are producing enough to donate, etc., generally have OSS (over-supply syndrome) to some extent. There are a few moms like that on the pumpmoms board. OSS has many of its own problems - including a high ratio of foremilk to hindmilk (not the best for baby) and usually an over-active letdown. I had some OSS problems in the beginning, but they have leveled out over time, thank god.

I do not EP. I nurse my son when I am at home, but I work ridiculously long hours, so sometimes many days go by when I am doing nothing but an early morning feeding, if anything. But, the fact is that I, like most other moms who pump exclusively or almost exclusively, am constantly battling supply issues. I have yet to give my son formula (an accomplishment I am very proud of), but I work very hard in order to do so. I pump often, with a Medela Lactina (this is my 3rd pump, as EPing can also lead to increased pump resistance issues), take all kinds of herbal supplements (fenugreek, blessed thistle, mother's milk tea), drink tons of water, pump before bed, pump in the morning, etc., and when my son goes through a growth spurt, I have to be extra diligent and wake up in the middle of the night (sometimes twice) in order to increase my supply accordingly. So, yes, there are all kinds of tricks and tips to increase your supply (and some methods of pumping, like compression, etc., that can yield a bit more milk), but they aren't a piece of cake to implement.

Whether or not a woman decides to breastfeed or EP is her own decision - and both are incredibly commendable, strong decisions. In my opinion, just getting breastmilk to the baby is incredible - how you do it is your own choice. But, it is my experience, through research of my own and talking to LCs, etc., that the majority (not all, just the majority) of women who EP do so due to breastfeeding problems in the beginning, whether they be latch problems, baby in NICU, etc. And once the baby has gotten used to a bottle, reacquanting him or her to the breast is very difficult (and as you will see in the pumpmoms digests, the parentsplace EPing board and on kellymom.com website, a common issue with EPers is how to get the baby back to the breast).

This isn't an attack on anyone who decides to EP. It is absolutely the right choice for some women. I pump for 80-100% of my son's feedings. I just don't want anyone to think that it is as easy as breastfeeding, because it truly isn't. Any women who decides to EP, whether it be because of work, travel (and that's fun, let me tell you - keeping milk cold on airplanes, etc., or going on a 6 hour drive and having to keep milk frozen, thereby stopping to replace ice constantly - ugh!), health problems, or just personal choice, is providing the best possible nutrition for her baby. But, factually, it is more difficult, expensive and time-consuming (sterilizing alone takes forever) then nursing.

I feel pretty strongly about this - I think more women probably give up and stop EPing than those that give up and stop nursing, so whichever route a woman take, I think she needs to be committed and have full, complete and unbiased information before she starts, and I just didn't feel like your post was providing that, so I felt like I must respond.

wagner36
03-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Jude,
Sorry to post again, but I just read that you'll be using a PIS. I would highly recommend using a hospital grade pump. I have both a PIS and a Medela Lactina, and I never would have made it as far as I have without the hospital grade pump. It has been wonderful for my supply. I would at least look into where you could rent one (I get one from my local store), so if you notice your output decreasing or not keeping up with your baby's needs, you can get one quickly and with no hassle. There's nothing worse than not having enough milk for the next feeding, and doing everything you can to get more, while coping with the emotional issues of now having enough milk to feed your child. It's really no fun.
Good luck!

lizajane
03-28-2004, 09:32 PM
everyone else has said lots of great stuff that i would have said myself. but i wanted to offer one more voice!

nursing can definitely be hard at first. it was very very very hard for me in the first 6 weeks. very hard. would i do it all over again?? IN A MINUTE. IN A SECOND. YES YES YES. i am nursing a 12 month old. i am SO HAPPY IT IS SILLY!!! i will be weaning soon so that i can go for number 2, and it makes me sad! i nurse in public all the time. even though i don't much care if anyone sees me nursing, and even though i don't even really care if anyone sees my boob, i honestly don't think anyone who isn't WITH me even knows that i am nursing. once you do it, you will realize that it is EASY and DISCREET. your shirt covers you, the baby's face covers you, the baby's body covers you... i don't even use nursing tops, i just wear regular shirts and pull them up. his body covers my tummy. so easy.
i would encourage you to keep an open mind.

that said, i understand that you may be A LOT more modest than me! so for pumping... remember you do have to pump if baby doesn't nurse. so you will have to hide in a dressing room, bathroom, etc. to pump if you don't nurse. which, i think, is WAY more annoying than just nursing. because while you can nurse in public, i would NEVER pump in public!!!

i use a avent isis as a SAHM. i think it is pretty comfortable, very effective, MUCH MUCH MUCH quieter than an electric and easy to clean and reassemble.

as for the time concerns, PLEASE don't base your decision on the first 2 months. baby will nurse A LOT and will have time consuming growth spurts. but SUDDENLY baby will nurse very quickly and much less frequently. many moms have to prepare the bottle for dad, clean the bottle afterwards and then go pump while dad is giving the bottle. BIG pain. MUCH more time consuming and stressful than sitting in a cozy chair and relaxing while baby nurses.

i am not saying don't pump/feed. but offering an honest opinion from someone who started out with lots of trouble and is finishing up happy as a clam!!

nitaghei
03-29-2004, 11:13 AM
I have very little to add, because you've got great advice already.
BUT here are my points

1) Logistically, pumping is an extra step, and therefore, is extra work. You have to set, pump, and clean, and still feed the baby. A new born takes just as long with a bottle as on the breast. In effect, you do 2 feedings. And you really have NO time at all to do anything else - unless you are willing to let someone else always feed your baby. For me, feeding my baby was the best part of being a new mom, and bonding with my baby.

2) IME, pumping was much more painful than BF'g. I pumped exclusively for 8 weeks (8-9 times a day), and I cried with pain every time I pumped. And I had a Lactina. But, once DS started nursing, the soreness went away, even though I was still pumping 3 times a day.

3) As the baby gets older, BF'g is much faster than pumping. By the time DS was 6 months old, he would be done in 10 minutes or less.

4) This doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. Just pump a few times a week to build a stash, and use this to get some down time. Let DH give a bottle once in a while, or take a bottle of EBM when you go out if you are uncomfortable about NIP.

5) NIP really isn't that hard. I am extermely modest, and the thought of exposing my breast makes me uncomfortable even now. But I do NIP, because it's easy to do without exposing yourself. What I've found works best is layers: a sweater set or a shirt over a tank top or t-shirt. I also wear Elita bras, which make it very easy to cover up if DS pops off. Also, if DH pops off, it takes a split second to cover up with my cardigan or shirt. You can also learn to nurse in a ring sling, which offers a lot of cover, and it really does look like the baby's sleeping. And I've pumped in rest-rooms. Trust me, NIP is a whole lot easier than pumping in a gross rest-room. Like you, I swore I'd never NIP. All I can say is, try to keep an open mind.

Oops - just read your edit. And yes, absolutely, you can take a bottle along - see points 4 and 5 above.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Imperia
03-29-2004, 12:21 PM
I wanted to start by saying how wonderful it is you are committed to getting breast milk to your baby however you choose to do it, that is wonderful.

I also wanted to add a couple of things, but everyone here has given you great advice so far.

my DD is 9 weeks and has been exclusively BF (except for when they tried to give her a bottle in the nursery because of jaundice, but I will get to that). I feel nursing actually frees you much more than bottle feeding could. You don't have to set anything up, clean it, sterilize, drag accessories around etc. I am pretty shy and I never thought I would NIP (and I haven't really, but I nurse in my car with a sling ALL the time.) My DD and I go out in public most days and have since she was a few weeks old; I do not feel trapped at all by BFing, in fact it's sort of liberating because I know I will have food for her if she needs it no matter what and I won't have to rush home to get her some! DD has fairly set nursing times now (she set her own schedule at about 4 weeks or so) and I just follow that...for example I know that she will generally nurse between noon and 12:30 every day and then the next time will be between 4:00 and 4:30, so I go out at that time and do my errands, visit people etc. And if by chance she gets hungry before Iget home, I can nurse her with a sling in the car and no one has any idea what I doing.

It is sort of hard to be the only one who can feed DD, but then again on the other hand, I am sort of glad because of teh bond it creates. YOu don't have to stop nursing, in most cases if you are sick, in fact it's probably better to nurse so that the baby gets your immunity factors and doesn't get sick herself. After you have nursing down it's not that difficult to do even when lying down or SLEEPING at the same time. I know lots of moms who co-sleep and their babies just nurse while the mother is basically asleep, you can't do that with a bottle.

I also wanted to add that I thought I would HATE breastfeeding (but I was comitted to giving my DD breast milk), but after a few days I realized how much I loved it and how much it meant to me to feel SO connected with my child. When she is BFing she makes the sweetest sounds and looks at you with these huge beautiful eyes and this loving expression. It's amazing, trust me. Even though I had some pain in the beginning (and still do from time to time due to a cirulatory problem I have) I NEVER wanted to stop. The hormones which are released during BFing also tend to relax you and make you feel good. It's hard to explain until you have tried it, so keep in mind you may really love BFing, and you may even want to BF longer than 6 months.

Pumping is a funny thing, I don't have much experience with it, but it's still sort of odd. I am one of the women who has a TON of milk and a fast let down (I leak, my DD has to gulp to keep up with the milk coming out and sometimes she even chokes on it!) and I used an Avent Isis a couple of times when I felt a bit engorged and thought I would save up some milk. Well, it took quite awhile to get 3 ounces, plus my hand felt like it was going to fall off after awhile lol. Just because youhave plenty of milk, it does not always mean the pump will be able to extract it, and it certainly won't be as effcient as a baby at getting it out no matter how powerful adn expensive it is. I HIGHLY Reccomend you rent a hospital pump if you want to EP. As for pain, it didn't hurt per se, but it felt really weird sort of like a pulling, stretching feeling. I wouldn't say it hurt, but it wasn't pleasant either. And this was an Avent Isis, not an electric, the Isis is supposed to be more gentle.

And lastly, I wanted to add it can sometimes be a trail with a newborn to get it to accept a bottle. As I said they tried to give my DD a bottle in the hospital because she was very ill with jaundice and she wouldn't nurse. The nurses tried to give her a bottle and she refused it time and again even though she was hungry. She is 9 weeks old and even though I haven't worked at it she really doesn't seem to like artifical nipples (pacifers, bottles etc). I would say get a couple of different types of bottles at least, to try because not all babies will take (or like) the same ones.

Good luck! EPing is a lot of work and I commend you.

Imperia