PDA

View Full Version : What can possibly happen next?

smallestangel
03-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Hi

Thanks for the responses in my previous post. I appreciate the help! I'm sure you're about to get sick of me posting again but in the past 24hrs we've had ANOTHER development.

I do believe it's thrush! *sigh* I had chalked up the nipple pain and decreased supply on my left breast as results of a bad latch. Well, overnight and all of today my nipple pain started to turn into an intense burning, stinging pain instead of a mild soreness (it's the worst during nursing but continues afterwards and it KILLS whenever anything even touches my nipple) and my poor little guy is so gassy and cranky after feeding and he has a bright red rash on his bottom. I did some reading online, and it sounds like thrush. AND the breast is starting to feel warm and hard to the touch, I can only imagine what that can mean....

I just called the ped and he's calling a script in for us of Nystantin. I hope it works. I've been taking the acidophollus(sp?) the whole time now since I was on antibiotics during delivery. I had thought we had dodged the bullet. I'm so discouraged right now. I was so hoping to bf for a year but it breaks my heart to see Jacob in distress and know it's my fault (I know it's not really *my* fault but it IS my milk making him sick). I was in such pain from the engorgement and now this, and it's only been two weeks! I really do dread each nursing session now. Breastfeeding is supposed to be the best thing for us but it's really making us both miserable right now.

Finding a LC in my area has not been easy. I've searched the websites and contacted people. Most no longer practice and the one I encountered at the hospital was not the greatest to say the least. I did talk to someone from LLL and she helped me with the engorgement. She too said that finding a LC in this area is VERY hard (I wonder why??? We haven't lived here long so I don't have the scoop on this place.) She was nice enough to come to my home and so I'm hesitant to call her again. It's not like she's a LC, she's not getting paid for her help, and so I feel like I'd be taking advantage of her kindness.

Wow this post has gotten long, thanks for letting me vent. The good thing is that I froze all that expressed milk when I was engorged. I'm thinking about giving him that for now to see if it eases his gas and it would also give my poor nipple a break.

Amanda
Jacob born 3/11/04 :)

calebsmama03
03-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Oh Honey, you poor thing! I wish I lived closer - I'd come help you! Please don't hesitate to cal your LLL leader again. That's is what they're there for! No, they aren't paid, but this is what they sign on for and if there is no LC in your area the LLL is such a great resource (BTW - I am training to be a LLL leader, so I know they really don't mind!). I do hope it gets better for you both.

ETA - I'm wondering how you know your baby is gassy? What measures have you tried to help with this? I appologize in advance if anything I'm about to say is stuff you already know but am just wanting to be sure the bases are covered.

If you are certain your baby has gas I would try eliminating things from your diet in an effort to help figure out what's causing it. Obvious culprits are things that cause gas in adults (beans, broccoli, etc.) but for babies dairy and soy can be leading causes of gas. Can you try to cut out such foods for a week or so and see if it helps? Your diet will be pretty boring, but if it does help you can slowly start adding things back in to see what caused the gas for your DS. Here is some info on gas in BF babies
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

and about sensitivities in BF babies
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/food-sensitivity.html

That site is a wonderful resource in general - go to the home page and type in a search for "gas" and you'll get tons of help. There is also info on thrush on the site
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush-resources.html

Hang in there. BFing gets so much easier with time. For me it was like a switch was flipped at 7 weeks - it no longer hurt and I looked forward to each nursing, and we're still going strong at a year! Please don't think your milk is making your baby sick! His little tummy is just not used to have to digest on its own yet. Imagine how much harder it would have to work with formula that wasn't designed to meet his specific needs. With a little patience and some trial and error you will make it through this!
Hugs and good luck!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

COElizabeth
03-27-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm sorry!!! I hope the medication clears it up for you both quickly. And Lynne is right - I am sure it is the woman's pleasure to help you, so don't hesitate to call her again. Also, make sure you follow the recs on cleaning linens, pump parts, etc. so you don't reinfect yourselves. Hang in there!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

sadie427
03-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Is there a good midwife practice in your area? Sounds like you didn't deliver with one, but you might be able to see one anyway. It was my midwives that actually helped with my thrush--the ped presecribed Nystatin which didn't work for us. It may for you, but some thrush is resistant to Nystatin, and you would need oral Diflucan for you (and just the same Nystatin suspension for the baby, the whole time you are being treated.) It does sound like thrush.

And you really should call the LLL leader again, I'm sure she wants to do whatever she can to keep you breastfeeding. It really is worth it, it's just the first few weeks that are hard for most people. Good luck!

smallestangel
03-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

Lynne, I'm thinking Jacob's gassy because after a feeding he starts to just wail and draws his knees up into his chest. Also, his little belly will feel hard. This wasn't a problem before and that's why I think it's related to the thrush. He was up all night last night.

Thanks for the links. I really appreciate all the help I can get!

Amanda

houseof3boys
03-27-2004, 06:14 PM
It sounds like thrush to me! I'm so sorry, I know how painful it can be since I had it three times. Please try to continue to breastfeed (I know it hurts) and make sure that you both get treated. You need something like difflucan to clear this up (I had such a persistent case that the last time I was on a 3 week course). Do a vinegar rinse on your nipples and boil everything that the baby and your breasts have touched. Keep taking the acidophilus and maybe start Jacob on some too. Cut down on your sugar intake too!

If you dont' get treated too, you will both just keep passing it back and forth.

Here is a great link to read more about it and to read about other treatments for it..

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush-resources.html

I hope you both get to feeling better soon. It will all be worth it Amanda and I'm sorry that you are going through this. :)

caleymama
03-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Amanda,

First of all - I'm sorry things have gotten off to such a rocky start and I hope you and your DS are feeling a little better. I had a two week period at the beginning where I had a really sore spot on one nipple and I dreaded each nursing session - and I didn't have thrush or anything.

Second of all - I delivered my DD in SE Virginia and I just dug out the card of the LC that we met with in the hospital. I'm no longer in that area or I'd do whatever I could to help. I'll send you a PM with her name and phone number. Hopefully she's still in business!

Sending that Private Message right now ... (ETA: It's been sent!)

signsing
03-28-2004, 03:06 AM
Definitely sounds like thrush.
Remember if you do break down and give him a bottle you need to pump! I really wouldn't rec that anyway.
Have you taken any tylenol for your soreness? Maybe it might help.
I would also rec putting the baby in a cloth diaper without a cover to help air out his bottom.
Also have you tried massage? Massaage his tummy to help relieve the intestinal pain. It can become a nice routine for you and a good bonding time. Find some baby oil or a soothing lotion to use.
Check your diet too. Cut back on sugar and maybe add some yogurt with active cultures. Stoneyfield farms is the best for that. I personally love their Banilla.
Lastly its not your fault. I understand your guilt though. My son was sensitive to dairy in my diet for the first 3 months. Figuring that out was aweful. I felt horrible knowing that my milk was causing him problems. However now things are wonderful. He's 9 mos now and nursing well.
Good luck.
Try to get some pampering for the both of you! Try to relax and don't forget to enjoy your beautiful baby!

Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

sntm
03-29-2004, 03:12 PM
amanda,
we had a lot of problems at the outset, so i completely empathize with your frustration/guilt/need for support.
don't have much time to post now, but please email/PM me if you need someone to talk to.
i swear, when you can overcome all of these difficulties, it is so worth it. when i cry while nursing now, it is out of joy and wonder and thankfulness and the sight of that little guy blissed out -- it's one of the best things i have done in my life.
email/pm me anytime!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

smallestangel
03-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone!

When I got off the computer, I called my OB too, since I really was (and still am) in a lot of pain. He prescribed two weeks of Diflucan for me. Hopefully that will really work to knock it out of us. Meanwhile, I'm washing everything in hot water (I'm being so paranoid that I think I'm washing stuff that's already clean!,lol) and doing a vinegar rinse on my nipples.

Amanda

houseof3boys
03-30-2004, 01:28 PM
I hope it gets better soon Amanda! Take the difflucan and also put some lotrimin af cream on your nipples.

It will get better soon enough and keep taking your acidophilus.

You're doing a great job by hanging in there. :)