PDA

View Full Version : Medela Pump in Style Traveler vs. Regular pumps

RAD
03-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

I am about to buy a new Medela Pump as my first one from #1 isn't working very well (and as I had gotten it from a friend, it was a relatively old model). I am planning to buy the new Advance model, but I can't decide between the regular briefcase-style one and the traveller. Is the traveller more convenient? Or is is just a style choice?

Thanks!

coffeemug230
03-27-2004, 11:09 PM
I have the regular PIS (not the Advance) in the Traveler bag. The other style bag is HUGE! The packpack one..people at work say "oh that's a cute purse!)

I got PIS on ebay from someone called breastpumps4less and pd about $185 for it new! It was perfect.

RAD
04-01-2004, 08:26 AM
Is there room in the bag for a small container of soap and a cloth? There isn't in the regular style, I am just trying to decide ifitis worth the extra $$ for the backpack style.

Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
04-01-2004, 11:44 AM
What I liked about the Ameda pump is that I could get my own bag to carry it in, saving me money and letting me get one big enough for everything I need to take to work. You aren't restricted to the actual carry case like you are with Medela.

I carry mine in my backpack with my laptop, my purse, my shoes, etc.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

babymama
04-01-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm using the pump-in-style traveler (backpack) now. To answer your question. there is room, albeit limited, for extra items in the top part of the bag.I am able to throw in my cell phone, wallet, BM storage bags, and sometimes baby's bottles (2 - 8 oz. wideneck Dr. Browns in a small tote with 2 freezer packs). This morning I put a muffin (in a sandwich storage bag) and a banana in plus all of the above items - except for the bottles.
I do have to say, though, the backpack is bulky and gets to be almost too much if I'm carrying another (work) bag.

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

wagner36
04-01-2004, 03:05 PM
I think the Traveller is much more convenient. Sometimes I carry it in the backpack, but most times I just take the actual pump with me. That way, if I'm already lugging a bunch of stuff, I can just fit the pump in my bag, without having yet another bag to carry. Since I lug a briefcase, purse, lunch, extra files, computer, etc., home most days, being able to fit the pump in one of my bags was really important to me.

AvasMama
04-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi,
For those of you who said they just take the actual pump part out and toss it in their work bag, do you put it in anything to protect it or is it sturdy enough to put in with everything else? I found a great deal on a new PY without the tote and I was thinking I could just put it in my work bag like you all do.
Thanks,
Robyn

Ava 1-15-04

stillplayswithbarbies
04-01-2004, 09:50 PM
I don't do anything to protect my PY. It just slides in next to my laptop.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

ppshah
04-01-2004, 10:15 PM
I used the PIS traveler for 9 months and loved it. It has some extra space to put wallet keys, cellphone...but not alot. IT's a cute backpack though and the microfiber is soft and easy to clean.

I still use is as a diaper bag. It stays in the car with extras.

hth

skredberry
04-07-2004, 03:54 PM
My baby is due in June and I was hoping my upcoming breastfeeding class would reco a pump. Comments from the other women at work is that the pumps are noisy and other co-workers know you're pumping. Being that our office is expanding rapidly, cubes are now right next to rooms with closed doors that ppl have been using to pump.

I like the idea of being able to put the pump in the bag with my laptop, etc. but was wondering if some of the motor noise has improved. (Some of the pumps the other women have are older as they are on their 2nd and 3rd children.)

Has anyone had any issues with noisy pumps or is this a long resolved issue with the products?

stillplayswithbarbies
04-07-2004, 04:58 PM
I have a Purely Yours. I put it in my desk drawer and close it partway while pumping and you cannot hear it in the office next door.

You can hear it over the phone if I use the speaker phone.

Edited to add:
I have never needed to use it, but I have had the excuse ready "oh there is a copy machine right outside my office and I think someone is copying a whole book!" just in case someone on the phone said "what's that noise?".

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sntm
04-08-2004, 12:30 PM
pis is pretty quiet also. can't hear mine outside my closed office door and I am right next to it. my friend called me the other day and it wasn't until half way through that i could hear hers (pis traveler) and just when the conversation lulled.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

hez
04-08-2004, 05:05 PM
I share a pumping moms' room with 4 other co-workers (yes, we have a schedule!). On occasion one will run late, and I've actually heard the sound of a hand pump in use. So, motor or not, there is some sound associated with a pump. Our room does happen to be next to the copier room, and the walls are fairly thin, so I figure folks will just attribute it to the copier. Otherwise, I'm not embarrassed that I'm pumping, and just tell people I'm headed to the meetings I have with myself :)