PDA

View Full Version : Foods for 10 Month old

jk3
03-29-2004, 04:32 AM
Just curious what others are feeding their babies. I always feel like fedding is a daily science experiment. Since I know that my DH is getting most of his nutrients from formula I'm not concerned from a nutritional standpoint but I want to make sure I'm on the right page.

Currently he eats mostly pureed fruits, veggies, some meats and lots of baby cereal-rice + oatmeal. He started eating Cheerios and some canned pears chopped into small pieces. I'm not really sure what other finger foods he can eat since he only has 2 teeth.

Thanks!

lizajane
03-29-2004, 11:46 AM
you can make fruit and veggies really soft by steaming them. you maintain the nutrients while making them mushy. then you don't have to worry so much about the two teeth issue!

here are some things that schuyler eats/has been eating for the past two months or so:
(favorites first)

blueberries (cut in half or use tiny organic wild blueberries)
broccoli
cheddar cheese
annie's organic mac and cheese
cheerios
hard boiled egg yolk (now eats whites, too) cut up so he can pick it up
tofu (firm tofu cuts into chunks, but mushes easily for mr. two teeth)
raisins (i try to cut them or at least stab them for digestive purposes)
grapes (peeled and cut up)
peaches
pears
apples
bananas
cantaloupe
mango
pineapple (canned or fresh)
sweet potatoes
yukon gold potatoes (steam, slice, and toast for fun "fries!")
squash
zucchini
peas (may need to cut in half if too big/choking concern)
green beans
carrots
asparagus
celery
spinach (mixed with other stuff because too strong flavor alone)
brown rice
whole wheat pasta

lag555
03-29-2004, 11:53 AM
You probably should speak to your pediatrician to get a more authoritative answer, but my daughter is almost nine months old and she had been eating pureed fruits and vegetables, as well as the infant cereals. Then we started giving her yogurt (we only give her plain, unsweetened and no flavors) and finger foods such as pretzels and bread sticks. My doctor told us we can now start giving her ground up chicken or meat, and eggs (first the yolk and then the white a few days later). She can also have small pieces of hard cheese and a frozen bagel to gnaw on. He said to avoid fish, berries, chocolate, and nuts, because these are all highly allergenic foods. He also said to avoid whole milk until she is one. (I don't really understand why she can have yogurt but not milk, but that's what he said.)

I hope that is helpful. Good luck!

jennifer13
03-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Has your Ped given the ok to other dairy products? that opens up many doors as mentioned above. Norah loves cheese and yogurt. The organic string cheese is very soft (even if you're not concerned about the organic part, the regular Kraft kind, for some reason, is not as soft).

Jennifer
Mom to Norah, 5/23/03

mharling
03-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Liza -
How do you make the 'fries'? I have some yukon gold potatoes that I need to get used.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

amp
03-29-2004, 03:56 PM
My DS, at 10 mths today, is eating mostly finger foods. He doesn't prefer, and often refuses pureed food that we try to feed him. He has 6 teeth, but he only had 2 when we started feeding some finger foods. He eats a lot of things, but very few of them are pureed. Here is a partial list of things I can think of (all of which are diced or sliced as necessary....

Pureed fruit or veggies
diced fruit or veggies (we use gerber diced or buy canned dole or the ones in the plastic single serving containers)
shredded cheese
waffles and pancakes
toast or bread
pizza
sliced and diced grapes and strawberries
cheese or chicken and cheese quesadillas
chicken, beef & pork
soft tortillas
pasta & various sauces
breakfast cereal bars
potatoes (mashed, baked, hash browns, fries, etc)

To be honest, Jake eats bits of almost everything we eat, and we are not terribly conservative on the spices. We don't give him anything to hot spicy, but he has had things w/ pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, etc with no problem! He eats marinated & seasoned foods more readily than the bland gerber foods we tried!

Jen in Chicago
03-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Jude's dinners consist of a mix of the following:
Green beans- canned cut up in 1/3's)
Steamed or boiled carrots- next time I am going to try the canned ones
Diced Mango
Plain whole milk yogurt sweetened with with pureed fruit
Cheerios
Cereal- rice, mixed, oatmeal or barley
diced bananas
cheese- shredded, diced or string
Unsweetened applesauce
Ground beef
Diced chicken
Turkey lunch meat
pancakes on occassion
blueberries and/or strawberries on occassion
plain pasta- a FAVORITE
pasta with sauce- fun to throw
diced potatoes- white or sweet
zuchinni
squash
toast- need to try again, was not a fan of it

At daycare he will eat the jars of stuff (they supply), but at home he rarely will eat from a spoon. It is becoming a game of me putting food on his tray and seeing what he will eat. He still end up with a lot on and around him.

Ped said to stay away from eggs, nuts, honey and fish.

drsweetie
03-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Along these lines, there's something I've been meaning to ask for a while. I keep seeing warnings about introducing wheat until late, yet people are giving their kids Cheerios and toast. When can I start giving Laura these things?

mharling
03-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Do you or your dh have a family history of allergies? If so, you would probably want to continue to wait.

That being said, Lane started Cheerios around 8 months and whole wheat toast around 9 months.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
03-30-2004, 06:29 PM
I get the "cheerios" from Trader Joes, they don't have wheat.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Jen in Chicago
03-31-2004, 10:13 AM
We don't have any family allergies. Our Ped gave us the heads up to give him anything but eggs, fish and nuts at his 6 mo. appt. No problems to date! At his 9 mo. appt I think she was disappointed that his diet is not more finger foods.

deborah_r
04-01-2004, 06:40 PM
There were quite a few references to Mac & Cheese. Would this have milk in it, and is that OK for a baby who isn't having milk yet?

I'm thinking when I make the Kraft Mac & Cheese (guilty pleasure) I add milk and I wouldn't exactly say it gets cooked, but it is added to the hot noodles. I was under the impression he could have things with milk in them if it was cooked, but not sure if that qualifies as cooking.

Oh great, now I'm craving mac & cheese. Where's that blue box??? :) What am I, like 5 years old?

houseof3boys
04-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Ironically, I made the Annies Mac n cheese that everyone raves about and added yogurt to it (it said it on the box but I was ready to add water like Liza had mentioned somewhere). I tasted it and it was a little too plain yogurty tart (IYKWIM) for me but Ryan had some. I added some butter to it but it was still not the best flavor for me to enjoy. Of course he only ate like 5 tiny shells of it so now it's in the fridge for me to give him for the next few days. :)

Jen in Chicago
04-08-2004, 03:13 PM
With DH traveling this week I decided Jude and I should dine together. This week we have eatten:
(2 nights) Turkey Burgers with cheese- I diced his up
Mixed veggies (frozen mix)
diced mango or applesauce

shredded pork (with a little BBQ sauce)
green beans
sticky rice (sushi rice)
applesauce

I have learned that he will let me feed him IF it is off of my fork and plate.

Tonight- Spaghetti and a bath (He'll eat in his diaper)