PDA

View Full Version : Sterilizing Dr. Brown's Bottles?

greatmeow
03-29-2004, 10:56 AM
What is the most effective way to sterilize the bottles and all the part? Should I boil them, get a sterilizer, etc???

momma_boo
03-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi Lori,

It all depends on what you're comfortable with. But I sterilized my Dr. Brown's bottles once. I threw them all in a pot and boiled them (as per directions on the package) before I used them the first time. Since then, I've only handwashed them with soap and hot water.

babymama
03-29-2004, 06:57 PM
I love my Dr. Brown bottles. Good choice. As for sterilizing, I boil mine (including nipples, plus all the other parts) about once every other week. In between boiling, I throw them in the dishwasher or wash with really, really hot water. From what I've read, the dishwasher is an effective sterilizer.

westchicagomom
03-30-2004, 04:03 AM
Actually, you probably should not be sterilizing them. I just purchased some Dr. Brown's and the directions say that the only thing you should boil is the silicone nipple, everything else should be washed thoroughly w/ soap and water.

In terms of washing them after using, it says "if you use a dishwasher, keep all parts in the top rack only. Do not exceed 140 degrees F (60 C) water temperature" Since boiling is 212/100, I am assuming you shouldn't be subjecting the pieces to sterilization temperatures.

I thought this was weird, but followed the directions since I was afraid of the pieces melting/breaking down in some way.

ghs517
03-30-2004, 05:39 PM
I hand wash and then also use a sterilizer, mostly because: 1. We don't use the dishwasher often enough (DD is exclusively bottle-fed and we'd run out of bottles), and 2. Sometimes the long tube didn't get clean in the dishwasher basket, and I'd have to handwash anyway.

I love the Dr. Brown's, though! Good luck!

murpheyblue
03-30-2004, 05:58 PM
We just put ours in the dishwasher. The bottles go on the top rack with the glasses and all the parts go in a plastic cage that I bought for bottles parts at Target.

Ali
Mom to Megan 9-28-03

ErinP
04-02-2004, 01:48 PM
After you wash them what sterilizer do you use? I used to use Avent and miss the microwave sterilizer and need one for Dr Browns!