PDA

View Full Version : If DHA is better, then why buy regular formula?

littleme2
03-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi, I just started supplementing with formula. I still BF but I give about 2 oz. of formula a day - I actually make enough for the day but I put the 2 oz. of BM in cereal instead.

I bought Good Start Supreme with DHA and I noticed that there are so many formulas without the DHA. If DHA is proven to be better in the formula, why would anyone buy the regular kind?

The reason I'm asking this is because I would love to switch over to generic - Target brand, but it's kind of like buying generic coke versus the real Coke.

Thanks.

DD 8/15/03

JElaineB
03-29-2004, 01:34 PM
I believe the generic brands have "with lipid" formulations too, if you want to buy generic.

But to answer you question, as to why someone might buy regular formula instead of DHA/ARA formula:

1) I don't think it is 100% proven that DHA/ARA formula is better. As far as I know some studies have shown it boosts brain development in preemies, but afaik there have been no conclusive studies in full-term babies.

2) DHA/ARA formula is more expensive for a questionable benefit.

3) Some babies are allergic to it or do not tolerate it (my son got a bright red allergy ring around his anus when we tried it)

4) Taste, babies will drink just about anything but I thought the DHA/ARA I tried (Enfamil LIPIL) tasted metallicy. I didn't particularly want my son drinking something I wouldn't drink myself (since he appeared to be allergic anyway it was a moot point).

Note that I have no problems with anyone using DHA/ARA formula - just wanted to give you some ideas as to why someone might not use it!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Vajrastorm
03-29-2004, 01:42 PM
I don't use formula so perhaps I'm wrong on this, but it was my understanding there was no proof that DHA formula is better, nor any real testing?

Imperia
03-29-2004, 03:15 PM
I don't think they know with formula, but there have been studies on DHA/RHA in breastmilk, so I think they are possibly assuming it is better, kwim? There have been a huge number of studies recently about the benefist of Omega 3s for health issues including depression and heart related illness.

I don't think a baby can be allergic to DHA/ARA exactly. They are essential fatty acids and we need them in our diet. There are three types of essential Omega 3s: ALA, DHA and APA. APA and ALA can be found in plants and our body can covert them to DHA, but the conversion process isn't as effcient. The baby could definately be allergic to whatever material they make the DHA out of to add to the (usually fish oil!) If your baby has a reaction to a formula with DHA I would watch out for egg and fish allergies.

Imperia

amp
03-29-2004, 03:48 PM
I agree that the research I looked at is not conclusive about DHA/ARA in formula, but in our case, since our ped recommended it, and it seems like DHA/ARA in breastmilk in preemies did help with things like mental and visual acuity, we just wanted to stick with the lipid formula anyway. I did a little research and in the end I figured, it can't hurt, and there might be a great benefit.

We've been using the lipid formulas since Jake was born. We started on Enfamil Lipil, but when he was about 7 mths old, we switched to generic. We use Target Healthy Baby and Walmart Parent's Choice (both made by Wyeth) interchangeably. DS didn't even bat an eye at the change. They both have the Lipil formulations. Usually both stores are only about a penny or two different in cost from one another, but this weekend we bought the Walmart brand for $14+ rather than $16+.

vikivoly
03-29-2004, 04:57 PM
The studies I've read (and please don't ask me to quote them for you b/c I have no recollection where I read it) show that there is a benefit for preemies who are given DHA formula, but no significant difference in full-term babies yet.

JenCA
03-29-2004, 05:42 PM
The reason we do not use formula with DHA/ARA is because IMO, there has not been significant research to prove that formula with these additives is substansially more beneficial than "regular" formula for full-term infants. For me, it has nothing to do with money--if I truly believed formula with DHA/ARA was better for my daughter, I would buy it.

lmariana
03-30-2004, 10:02 AM
Try asking your pediatrician about a comparable generic brand. Mine suggested Walmart or Costco's generic brand formula. It's made by Similac and is identical to The Similac Advance that we use!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003