PDA

View Full Version : Feeding on the Go - Dr Browns - Traveling

JustMare
03-30-2004, 10:45 PM
I've been very happy so far with Dr. Browns wide-mouth bottles and DS has never had a problem with them either.

My question is, how do I travel or mix powder formula on the go with them?

I'm currently pre-mixing in a large pitcher and filling each 4oz bottle. Then I bring 2 or 3 in a cooler bag. I'd like to venture out :) and mix on the go but is that possible in the Dr Browns without a mess?

Also, for those who mix on the go, how do you do it? My DS screams bloody murder when he wakes from a nap and wants his bottle NOW! I'm afraid I won't be able to mix in time.

Also, we're planning a cruise in Sept when DS will be 7mos, I'm already obssessing how I'm going to organize his stuff and feed him. What to do??

I read that disposable bottles are the easiest to travel with. How hard would it be to get DS to use the Avent disposable bottle while we're out or traveling and use the Dr. Browns at home??

Is this my best solution? Go disposable on the go???

PS he won't take ready to feed formula.

Thanks in advance!

babymama
03-31-2004, 03:41 PM
We love our Dr. Brown bottles too. I haven't mixed on the go yet, but we do occasionally prepare one bottle at a time (my husband's preferred method, I prefer to use our formula pitcher), and I've seen other moms mixing in public. What my husband will do is scoop out the formula powder into the bottle, then he adds bottled water, puts the Dr. Brown tube thingie back in, screws on the nipple, covers the nipple with his finger and shakes. It has never been messy when I've seen him do it. I've also seen moms out and about with bottles that contain just the powder. They add bottled water when ready to serve, shake (or stir with a spoon) and offer it to their babies. If you decide to go with this method, I don't it will take you very long to add the water and shake, so hopefully your son won't have time to fuss.
Good luck!

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

marinkitty
04-01-2004, 11:50 AM
We mix on the go with our Dr. Brown's bottles all the time. I carry a powder formula dispenser (Munchkin from Target) with me and either fill the Dr. Brown's bottle with the right amount of warm tap water before I leave the house and put the travel disk in the cap or bring an empty bottle and a bottle of room temp. water with me. When DD is ready to eat I just dump the powder in, shake, remove the travel disk and she is ready to go. It honestly takes about 10 seconds so there is no lag time with a screaming hungry baby. I find that adding the powder to the water works a lot better for mixing than putting the powder in first. It mixes better and doesn't get clogged in the interior tube.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)