PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need ways to disguise iron drops!

Lucia
03-30-2004, 10:53 PM
My son is anemic and we have been giving him iron drops for the past two months. At first it took me awhile to find a way to give them to him....they are horrible tasting. I finally stumbled upon a solution...mixing them with blueberries (in a jar) and serving with morning oatmeal. This was working great...he ate this combo consistently for the last two months, but lately he won't do it! The other benefit of mixing the iron with blueberries is the high level of vitamin C in blueberries which helps with iron absorption.

So does anyone else out there give their kiddos iron drops and if so how do you do it? Any suggestions about iron-rich foods would also be great!

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

COElizabeth
03-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Lucia,

I recently discovered Schiff multivitamin liquid supplement at Whole Foods. It has 100% of the iron allowance for kids under 4 and is peach flavored. It doesn't smell or taste as bad as the PolyViSol drops I tried previously. My son sips the liquid right out of a measuring spoon and begs for more!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

JElaineB
03-31-2004, 01:08 AM
Oohh...I'm going to have to look for this, Elizabeth. Thanks for the tip! The PolyViSol w/iron is too yucky, I can't make myself force it upon DS, even just once in a while.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02