PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing a Breast pump - Bad idea?

Chrisr
03-31-2004, 11:57 AM
New poster here and I need some advice. I'm 5 weeks from the birth of my second child (first one was 11 years ago!) and have the opportunity to borrow a Medela (I think - haven't seen it yet) automatic breast pump. At first I was very excited about this because I know I'll need one for when I go back to work. But after reading up on it (La Leche League website and elsewhere)I'm reading that breast pumps are manufactured as "one user" items. Since the pump itself cannot be sterilized there is the potential for spreading germs and disease. I want to find out more about this because I certainly don't want to seem ungrateful or hurt anyone's feelings by turning down this wonderful offer.

I know in the Baby Bargains book I have I read that more information was needed on this subject and since people RENT breast pumps all the time it makes me wonder. Any thoughts or feedback on this?

Thanks so much!

lisaE
03-31-2004, 12:04 PM
My LC told me that the pumps for indvidual sale are designed for one user. The ones that are "commercial grade" (rentable) are designed for more than one. That's because the actual pump mechanism and tubing and everything is changed out for each person who rents it.

That being said, I know several people who have borrowed them and had no problem whatsoever.

wagner36
03-31-2004, 12:31 PM
It really depends on the pump. The Medela Pump in Style (which is probably the one you're being offered?) is considered a single-user pump by the FDA. Technically, milk could back up in the tubes and get into the motor. This has never happened to me, but it happens frequently to a friend of mine. There are risks that are associated with a used pump.

Some pumps, like the Ameda Purely Yours, which is very similar to the PIS, are approved for multiple users. If no milk can back up into the motor, then the pumps are safe for more than one user (you can always buy new tubes, flanges, etc.)

The rental pumps are approved by the FDA for multiple users - they have a piston which prevents any milk from getting inside. I use a rental pump (Medela Lactina) at work (and a PIS at home), and I really like the Lactina.

I may be a bit overcautious on this subject, but the thought of using someone else's pump gives me the jeebs. Maybe I would do it for occasional use (and if it were my sister, etc.) who was lending me the pump, but for use at work, I would probably get a new one.

Good luck!

kaitlinsmommy
03-31-2004, 12:33 PM
I borrowed one and would do it again. I got all new "parts" for it (tubes, etc.) and felt that it was fine. But I guess it's a personal decision.

babymama
03-31-2004, 12:48 PM
I am currently borrowing a Medela Pump in Style from a good friend. Before using the borrowed pump, I asked 2 lactation consultants about the risks of borrowing a pump. The first LC taught a bfing session as part of my childbirth prep class. The second LC was one of the LCs I saw while still in the maternity ward. Here's the feedback I got...

The first LC asked me how well I knew the woman (very well - no health problems to worry about). She asked me how long ago my friend had used it (it had been about 10 months). She said that she thought it was fine because the risk of any bacteria getting into the pump itself is minimal, and even then, if anything were growing in there when it was in use - it was most likely dead by the time I got it, or would surely be dead by the time I was to use the pump. She told me that I should sterilize all the parts of the pump that are detachable (bottles, funnel looking pieces, tubes, etc.). I boiled them all and felt fine using them.

The second LC told me that she really thought the one-user warnings were a racket by the company to sell more pumps. She had the same advice about sterilizing the parts/pieces that I would use to pump.

I know that there is probably some level of risk, but I have accepted that risk and am comfortable with it mostly because I'm not worried about my baby catching anything from my friend. Don't know if there is any truth to the 1st LC's theory about bacteria dying after the pump has been dormant. I've been using a borrowed pump for about 5 months now and everything seems to be going just fine.
Hope this helps!

stillplayswithbarbies
03-31-2004, 01:56 PM
You have to decide if you are comfortable with the concept of sharing a pump as far as contamination goes. One thing to as is whether the person ever had thrush, since thrush is hard to kill. (although I assume it would die out if the pump has not been used in awhile, I don't know if it dies or goes dormant though)

But you also want to consider the fact that the pumps are only meant to last through one baby. (yes some people have theirs through several kids and they are fine, but others have a pump die before they are done with one baby). So if the pump breaks, are you going to buy her a new one? If you use it for a year and then return it and she starts using it for the next baby and it gives out right away, are you going to buy her a new one? For this reason, I would never borrow a pump. I might accept a gift of a used Ameda Purely Yours (but not a Medela due to it not being a closed system) from someone I know, and I would buy all new parts except the motor, but I would not borrow it since I know I could not return it in the same condition, it would be possibly worn out.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03