PDA

View Full Version : Is there any advantage of using soy milk over cow's milk?

713abc
03-31-2004, 01:51 PM
My DS will be turning a year in two months, so I've been thinking about the upcoming switch from formula to milk.

He has no known allergies, but I have been wondering if there are advantages of using soy milk instead of cow's milk. Any thoughts?

Mom to Max, 05/28/03

signsing
03-31-2004, 03:06 PM
I only know of disadvantages. One can actually overdose on isoflavones. I know that this opinion differs from the norm but soy isn't as good as it seems. Its been linked to cancer and all sorts of behavior problems as well.

Here is a link
http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

I myself used to drink soy but am glad I don't anymore. I don't think many people realize that its not healthy.
I would stick with regular whole milk.
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

Momof3Labs
03-31-2004, 03:45 PM
I can only think of disadvantages. First of all, unless you can find the full fat version, there is less fat than whole milk and you need to make it up another way. Second of all, it is more expensive (at least around here). Third, it is harder to get. We use whole milk Lactaid because Colin is lactose intolerant and it is frustrating that I can't just walk into the gas station or grocery store and grab a gallon of whole milk - I have to go to certain grocery stores to get it, and they are often sold out of what we need.

ppshah
03-31-2004, 04:38 PM
As others have mentioned there are no real advantages. Unless there is a strong family history of allergies I see no reason to go Soy milk. The disadvantages: cost & availability. If you do get soy, make sure it is fortified with calcium and Vit D.

JElaineB
03-31-2004, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't use soy milk unless you don't have any other options, and even then it is not a replacement for whole (cow's) milk. I have never seen a brand of soy milk that even comes close to the amount of fat in whole cow's milk (8 grams fat per cup). I think the highest I have seen is around 3 or so grams of fat per cup. Under age 2 (and for some kids even longer) kids need pretty much all the fat they can get for proper development, including brain development. If they are drinking soy milk they would need to get the fat they are missing from some other souce. But because soy milk is going to fill them up it might be harder to get extra fat calories in them another way.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

lizajane
03-31-2004, 09:15 PM
we use soy milk. silk makes a "kids" version that is enriched. and it has 5g of fat/serving. my ped says it is TOTALLY FINE to use soy instead of dairy. i am not comfortable with dairy. dh and i are both lactose intolerant. i don't know what kind of hormones those cows are given. i don't know what kind of dyes are used to cover up the blood that gets into the milk from the milking process. not to mention that there have been studies linking dairy and ear infections, etc. (don't have references for that, just stuff i have heard about here and there.) we use only soy milk in the house. every ped in my practice says go with what the family does, and none of them have heard anything about "side effects" from soy. my child is a baby person, not a baby cow. there is no reason to make him drink cow's milk.

marinkitty
04-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Liza: Where do you find the kids version of the silk soy? Mia went to the allergist on Tuesday and he confirmed a milk allergy so we have to do soy milk (she didn't react to soy during the testing, so hopefully she won't develop a problem). I want to try her on it this weekend since she is now 12.5 months and still on Nutramigen. I was planning to go to Whole Foods but wonder where you find yours since I definitely want the extra fat for her. Thanks!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

TiaC
04-02-2004, 04:20 PM
I was under the impression soy milk was better. I'm due to have a little girl in July and we will give her both but the milk will definitely be organic (without all the extra hormones you find in factory farmed meats and milk) ...I don't want our daughter hitting puberty at the age of 8yrs old from all the extra hormones. And cow's milk and the mucous it creates, I am told, contributes a great deal to ear infections and other related illnesses.

I'm not for either side 100% but I will cute down on dairy and mix it up with soy and almond milk....as long as our child's diet is good our ped. tells us this is a very good plan.

Here are a few articles... Good luck!

http://www.mercola.com/article/milk/no_milk.htm
http://www.zetatalk.com/food/tfood07o.htm
http://www.mercola.com/2000/oct/22/milk_diabetes.htm

signsing
04-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Interesting that you quote Mercola, he also advises against soy.

I agree with the organic! I grew up on a small family farm and am very grateful. In my house we were always happy that we "knew the cow" which meant we knew what we were eating, no junk in the meat, eggs and milk.
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

lizajane
04-02-2004, 09:14 PM
apparently i was looking at the OJ that said "kids" on it. the silk isn't called kids... it is called "enhanced." sorry about that confusion. ok... i got it at harris teeter. the do not have the enhanced at kroger. (these may be all regional stores that you haven't heard of...)

here is the scoop:

ENHANCED SILK
calories 100
fat 5g
sodium 120mg 5%
potassium 350 mg 10%
carbs 6g 2%
fiber 1 g 4%
sugar 3g
protein 7g
Vitamin:
A 20%
C 35%
D 30%
E 20%
K 15%
B6 30%
B12 50%
calcium 35%
iron 6%
riboflavin 30%
folate 20%
phosphorus 10%
magnesium 10%
zinc 10%

VANILLA SILK (probably the same as plain)
calories 100
fat 3.5g
sodium 95mg 4%
potassium 300mg 8%
carbs 10g 3%
fiber 1 g 4%
sugar 7g
protein 6g
Vitamin:
A 10%
D 30%
B12 50%
calcium 30%
iron 6%
riboflavin 30%
folate 6%
zinc 4%

8TH CONTINENT (not organic)
calories 80
fat 3g
sodium 170mg 4%
potassium 300mg 8%
carbs 8g 3%
sugar 6g
protein 7g
Vitamin:
A 10%
D 25%
B12 15%
calcium 30%
iron 4%
riboflavin 25%

ok, now someone post the stats on the back of whole milk because we don't have any dairy milk in the house.

marinkitty
04-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Liza:

Thank you!!! I was at Jewel today getting soy milk so we can try it with Mia this weekend and I couldn't find any kids one (other than a purple container (silk soy vanilla maybe?) that said fortified for kids on it but only had 3.5g fat per serving, so I knew that wasn't it). Then I spied the Enriched and noticed it had the 5g so I brought it home but was just about to post asking if that was the right stuff or not. So, thanks for the detailed post - now I know I have what you were talking about! And, my regular neighborhood store carries it which is nice -thought I was going to have to go to Whole Foods.

Now, hopefully she will tolerate it, or else I'll be asking about rice milk in a couple of weeks . . .

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

JElaineB
04-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Ok, here are the stats for whole milk, 8 fluid oz. (1 cup) serving:

Calories 150
-----Fat Cal. 70
Total Fat 8 g, 12%
-----Sat. Fat 5 g, 25%
Cholesterol 35 mg, 12%
Sodium 120 mg, %%
Total Carb 11g, 4%