PDA

View Full Version : Ok, how badly did I screw up?

alkagift
03-31-2004, 05:09 PM
I need the real scoop on wheat allergies. I called the Peds today to ask about timing for giving 10-month old DS eggs. She said that yolks were fine now but not to give (here's her list) wheat products, nuts, egg whites, citrus, strawberries, kiwi and seafood until 12 months. Period. Whoops. I already give DS wheat stuff--toast, pasta, cereal, everything! How bad is this? My gut is that it's no big deal, but now I'm wondering since she was so *absolute* about everything! I was a bit chicken to tell her, "I've been giving my DS wheat products for the last month!"

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

deborah_r
03-31-2004, 05:39 PM
Allison,

I have seen so many different restrictions for these things. I think you will be OK. Usually they say 12 months for whole eggs, but I've heard of peds telling people to go ahead at 9 months, if there is no history of allergy to eggs.

I just recently asked a question here about this, because I was wondering what you are wondering now. If we've given it already and they've shown no reaction at this time, are we in the clear, or could the early introduction be causing a problem that just has not manifested yet? I'm not sure if anyone really knows. It seems like this allergy stuff is still a lot of guess work!

I think if you read through this website's list:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm

and then read through Child of Mine (Satter) and Super Baby Food, you will see totally different age restrictions for different items. So who is right? Who knows? :)

JElaineB
03-31-2004, 06:33 PM
We started DS on wheat around 8 months. If you have been giving your son wheat for a month and he hasn't had any problems with it you shouldn't worry. I agree with your doc on the other foods, though I am waiting until probably age 3 for nuts and as long or longer for shellfish (regular fish we gave at 1 year).

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

pritchettzoo
03-31-2004, 10:30 PM
I've really enjoyed www.kellymom.com (I believe Rachels usually recommends it). The site seems to draw from multiple, respected sources. Here's a page on food introduction, and wheat is in the 9-12 mos category: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/first-foods.html

And I believe most recommendations are to avoid nuts until 2-3 years, so I think her (nurse? ped?) list may be outdated anyhow...

Go with your gut! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

sntm
04-01-2004, 10:42 AM
most people do -- it's hard to avoid wheat (it's in Cheerios, even.)

i wouldn't worry about it too much. and since he has already had it more than once, you can continue.

if you haven't had the other foods, i'd continue to avoid them (but I err on the cautious side.) in truth, the kiwi rec is a new one for me and i researched this pretty heavily.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
04-01-2004, 11:42 AM
I assumed kiwis are the same as strawberries since they are basically from the same family. But I didn't figure that out until she had already had some babyfood with kiwi in it.

I wish the babyfood manufacturers would pay attention to the allergy charts and leave stuff like strawberries and corn out of the jars of mixed stuff.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03