PDA

View Full Version : Which hospital-grade pump to rent?

bharath
03-31-2004, 08:49 PM
DW and I are looking to rent a hospital-grade pump (after hearing about how much better they were than the regular pumps). Any suggestions on which one to go for? I've seen two so far, the Lactina Select and the Symphony Plus.

What are the normal rental rates for the pumps?

Thanks!
Bharath
Proud Dad to Ishika 3/20/04

wagner36
03-31-2004, 09:07 PM
I rent the Lactina Select from a local pharmacy here in Chicago. I was in a bit of an emergency situation when I started renting it (left my pump 500 miles away over the holidays), so I never had time to do any price shopping. My rental is $45 a month, and worth every penny! Not only did I get to stop lugging my PIS home every night, I also started getting a significantly increased output.

If you have a long commute, and think you may be pumping at home as well, you may end up wanting two pumps. But, my commute is on the el here in chicago, so carrying the pump was a big pain! If I drove and parked near by, I would have no problem carrying either the big blue Lactina case or my PIS back and forth every day. Just another thing to think about!

Good luck!

TraciG
03-31-2004, 11:49 PM
I rented the Symphony, it wasn't the plus, didn't hear of that one, it was expensive $ 75 a month !

bharath
04-01-2004, 02:22 AM
>I rented the Symphony, it wasn't the plus, didn't hear of
>that one, it was expensive $ 75 a month !

How was the Symphony? problems?

Thanks,
Bharath

nitaghei
04-01-2004, 11:12 AM
I rented the Lactina, and it was great. The initial rental was $170 for 5 months, and $30 a month after that. (This is in the Washington DC area, BTW). Absolutely worth every penny. I would just leave the pump at work through the week, and just take the horns and bottles back and forth. BTW - the Lactina does fit into the LE Little Tripper bag, so you don't have to haul that plastic case it comes in. My LC center also sold a soft bag with an insulated pocket that could be used for the Lactina for maybe $30? (don't remember exactly). I do drive to work, and have parking across the street from my office, so that helps a lot, too!

But - most women who aren't exclusively pumping do fine with the Ameda PY or the Medela PIS.

edited for typos.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

TraciG
04-01-2004, 12:02 PM
I liked the Symphony, it's nice & small & worked well but the other one seems much cheaper so maybe that one would be better, I just rented the one my LC told me about.

good luck

713abc
04-01-2004, 12:47 PM
I rented the Lactina and liked it. I have heard that the Symphony is a bit quieter, not sure if that is a factor for you or not. The Lactina is not loud, but does make some noise.