PDA

View Full Version : HELP! having trouble using up my freezer stash of EBM

LucyG
03-31-2004, 09:51 PM
I have quite a bit of EBM in the freezer, and I'm afraid I'm not going to use it all before it expires. I'm using milk now that I pumped in early January, and it goes on in age from there. I currently thaw enough to mix cereal for DD each morning, and that's about it. She is 13 months old, and still gets all of her milk from nursing. She loves water in a sippy with snacks and meals. I was sending some ebm in a cup to the sitter's house (when she dropped her one bottle feeding of ebm), but DD wasn't drinking much of it. I hated to waste it, but maybe I should try that again.

Any other good ideas on how to use the freezer stash? In retrospect, I could have stopped pumping at work sooner. But, I wanted to be sure I had enough to last until she was a year old, if I had to stop nursing for some reason. Thanks in advance for your help!

aguinn
03-31-2004, 10:24 PM
wow - way to go on the milk production! you might consider donating it to a milk bank if there is one near you. i don't know anything about doing this, but i heard about it from DS's godmother in atlanta, so i thought i'd put it out there for you.

hth,
amy ;)
proud momma to aidan

stillplayswithbarbies
03-31-2004, 10:49 PM
how old is the oldest milk? It will keep for 6 months if it has been in the coldest part of a good freezer.

You could try making something with it. Here are recipes for ice cream and yogurt and butter made with breastmilk:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/ready-solids-links.html#momfoods

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

LucyG
04-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Amy,

I just PM'd you.

spu
04-01-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm in the same boat as you! My babies are now 20 mos, and if I leave them with my parents to watch them, they really don't even want the ebm. They never took bottles, so in reality, if they want bm, it's because they want me. At this age, they'll just eat something else instead, and have water for thirst, if I'm not around.

But I guess that's a good problem to have! :)

You try it in potatoes, cream of wheat, a cheese sause for pasta, in a smoothie...

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

sntm
04-01-2004, 10:50 AM
you could always send the storage bag and tell the sitter to put just a few ounces in a sippy and use the rest for cereal. if it thaws in the fridge, it's good for 24 hours after it is no longer frozen.

i've made a cheese sauce with breastmilk. jack loved it (so did the cat -ewwww!) anything that takes milk, you could always substitute breastmilk.

we have a deep freeze, so mine should hopefully lasting a while, but i know i have about 250 oz frozen (and still pump 2-3 times a day -- would rather waste a bunch than run out before i wanted to!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03