PDA

View Full Version : bottles to supplement a young BF infant

loritb
04-02-2004, 07:47 PM
My DS is 3 weeks old and I need to temporarily supplement him with pumped BM and possibly some formula in addition to regular BFing. What bottles and nipples can anyone recommend that will be easiest for him to drink from (I have some Avent bottles, but he spits out more than he swallows with them) and will be least likely to cause nipple confusion?

Thanks, Lori

stillplayswithbarbies
04-02-2004, 09:41 PM
I like the Playtex disposable (wide mouth) bottles with the silicone nipple. I can see that she latches on to that nipple very much like she latches on to my breast.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jakobsmommie
04-02-2004, 09:47 PM
DITTO on the Playtex Nursers - I am planning on using them this second time around with DD.

DS wouldn't take anything else. I did research when I was pregnant with DS and SO MANY people recommended the Avent system. I bought the starter kit, only to find that DS would NOT latch onto the nipple for Avent bottles. He would get frustrated, DH would get frustrated. The other problem I had with Avent is that they LEAKED. My daycare provider is using Avent for her DD right now, and she is complaining that they leak on her too.

I RECOMMEND PLAYTEX - BTW Target has them on 15% sale right now too, the sale has been on since Sunday so I think it ends tomorrow.

HTH,

Sandy

quikeye
04-03-2004, 11:27 AM
I liked playtex as well-- the "natural latch" ? silicone nipples eventually were the ones that works for us (they say something like "promotes breastfeeding" or "makes transition from breast easier" on the package).

If you go with playtex, you may want to consider getting one of their starter kits-- they come with 4 different types of the nipples they make, so you don't have to buy a bunch of different nipples, open them & find out they don't work. Plus, the kits come w. 4 disposable bottles-- we may need more in the future (we're still trying to get ds to take a bottle w/out a fuss), but 4 has been enough for us now.

Also-- walgreens (the one in my area) has all playtex on sale 25% thru today; don't know if target is a better deal, but walgreens is closer for me than target is, so it's better for me :)

Good luck!

quikeye
04-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Just wanted to edit message subject... :)

signsing
04-03-2004, 04:42 PM
This may not be right but have you tried an SNS? (supplimental nurser system? I got one in the hospital and only used it there. It cost me $15 and I bought it from the Mother's resource center. It attaches to the breast to give EBM and/or Formula. I'm pretty sure its made by Medela.

Otherwise I would go with the Playtex. Have you seen the new bm storage playtex has using the drop-ins. Very cool. I'm tempted to buy them even though my son rarely uses a bottle.

Lets see if I can find a picture of the SNS.
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3989.jpg

caleymama
04-03-2004, 04:49 PM
The Gerber silicone Nuk nipples worked great for us when DD was very young. We started with the Avent bottles but switched to the Gerber Nuk. Eventually we went back to Avent, but you might want to try the Gerber. We didn't try any of the Playtex bottles because we didn't want to use disposable liners, so I can't comment on those. I have heard good things about the Medela SNS mentioned by the previous poster.

babymama
04-05-2004, 12:57 PM
I also had problems with leaking on AVENT bottles. I would wholeheartedly recommend the Dr. Brown's. Love them! Didn't know so many BF moms like Playtex. If I had known, I probably would have tried them. We are loyal to Dr. Brown users now, though.

BTW, the SNS was a nightmare for me. I used it in the hospital under the supervision of 2 lactation consultants, and I was still a mess trying to use that thing! You have to tape a long, tiny tube to your breast, then find some place to hang the bottle from (bc the tube is so long, the place has to be pretty high up so that the liquid can flow through). By the time I made it through all the complicated steps involved in setting up the SNS, DS was usually screaming (red faced) crying and too worked up to feed. I remember the whole experience as extremely stressful. I got a pang just seeing the picture. When we got home from the hospital, we successfully established exclusive BFing slowly but surely despite DS's use of bottles in the hospital and occassionally at home during the first month and 1/2.

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

loritb
04-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone, I tried the Playtex w/ the silicone slow nipple and this seems to work well, he goes back and forth from bottle to breast w/ ease.
Lori

Imperia
04-05-2004, 02:06 PM
I used the Medela SNS in the hospital and the first two days at home because DD had severe pathological jaundice and had to be supplmented until my milk came in, but I did not wnat her to have a bottle so young. They are a bit tricky to use at first (getting the tube AND the breast in at the same time, but if you are only going to be supplementing for a short peroid witha young infantand wish to avoid nipple confusion they are a good option. Of course, if you cannot be there or have an issue with your breasts of course is moot.
Just though I would offer my experience up =)

Imperia