PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend an awesome book on breastfeeding?

jerseygirl07067
04-02-2004, 08:20 PM
I have a friend who plans on breastfeeding and I would like to get her a really good book as a gift. One that is extremely thorough, addresses various barriers/potential problems, and maybe even has some good pictures. And one that isn't dismissive of returning to work, as I've heard that the LLL book is.

She doesn't spend much time online (which is where I got a lot of my own BFing info). I went on Amazon.com, (yes, too lazy to go to the bookstore) and couldn't decide on which one. There are so many out there!

Any good suggestions?

TIA,
Marcy

missliss55
04-02-2004, 08:40 PM
One book that I couldn't have lived without when I started breastfeeding was "The Nursing Mother's Companion".

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

Marisa6826
04-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Another good one is "So That's What They're For!"

-m

JElaineB
04-02-2004, 11:50 PM
I second _The Nursing Mother's Companion_ by Kathleen Huggins. It addresses everything you are looking for, including information on nursing and returning to work. I find her style to be informative, factual, and not dismissive of any situation or problems a nursing mother may encounter.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

jerseygirl07067
04-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Yes, I did hear that one was very good. Thanks. I now remember talking to the LC at our hospital and she actually mentioned one from the American Academy of Pediatrics. I think it was written by a pediatrician who is also a lactation consultant and a registered dietician. I may get that one too, just to check it out.

Thanks,
Marcy

Edited to add that I just realized that the most recent speaker at our mommy and me group was ALSO a pediatrician, lactation consultant, and a registered dietician. She is director of the pediatric residency program at one of our local hospitals. I went and checked the author of the AAP book as I thought there can't be too many people out there with all three credentials . Lo an behold and it was the same person. I now must add that Dr. Meek is awesome. She was a great speaker, is EXTREMELY knowledgable, up to date on everything, and obviously VERY pro-breastfeeding since she wrote a whole book on it. Her baby is 20 months old and I think she said she only recently stopped pumping.

jec2
04-03-2004, 01:11 AM
I have the one by Jack Newman, The Ultimate BF Book of Answers. It was not my favorite and almost went out and bought the LLL one instead. I think the info is fine, but I just didn't like the way it was organized and I also needed something a little more comforting in those first few stressful weeks. I just didn't feel the love with this book.

quikeye
04-03-2004, 11:19 AM
I like the nursing mother's companion as well. I also liked the breastfeeding book by sears, but some may say it is unsupportive of working moms (and it's promotion of attachment parenting turns some people off). It's a hefty resource though, if you can get past the sears' views (if you want to get past them, of course!)

I liked that the nmc recommended the cross hold for nursing nerwborns (something tbb didn't)-- it made getting baby on much easier. I thought it was a major difference btw the 2 (overlooking parenting style issues).

good luck!

(pumping @ keyboard & returning too work soon!)

ericajosh
04-03-2004, 02:35 PM
I agree. "So That's What They're For" has great info and a bit of humor too. I still use this book today (7 mo. into nursing). This is my favorite.

mum1day
04-04-2004, 01:52 PM
nursing mother's companion
nursing mother, working mother

LLL book is not well organized and not my fave.

hth!

Mum to Giuliana

firstbaby
04-04-2004, 03:08 PM
I also really liked the one mentioned from the AAP - it answered a lot of my questions and made me feel much more confident in the first few weeks.

spu
04-04-2004, 04:00 PM
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
The Nursing Mother's Companion

both are compassionate, thoughtful, and truly inspiring and awesome, not to mention they are full of information that will be really helpful!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

Snookie
04-04-2004, 11:34 PM
"The Complete Book of Breastfeeding" (Workman Press) is great. I read it before giving birth, and took it with me to the hospital. It was soooo helpful, and I still use it, 6 mos. into BF my daughter. It covers everything!
-April

C99
04-05-2004, 02:45 PM
A Nursing Mother's Companion is a very good choice for your requirements. It is extremely thorough, addresses various barriers and has good photos. And it isn't dismissive or judgmental like the LLL book is. But So That's What They're For is thorough on the benefits of breastfeeding and is well-researched in that regard, plus it's funny, which makes it easy to read.

murpheyblue
04-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Another vote for The Nursing Mother's Companion. We got it when we took a BFing class and I used it as a resource a lot in the early months.

Ali
Mom to Megan 9-28-03