PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Browns or Avent bottles?

ErinP
04-03-2004, 01:28 AM
Since I couldn't breastfeed with baby #1 I used Avent bottles and now that baby #2 is due in less than 4 weeks I need to make a decision on which bottles to use because it looks like I won't be able to breastfeed this baby either. Here's what I liked about Avent

Wide mouth made for easy cleaning.

Small 4 oz bottles for the first months, 9oz bottles for a few more months, and great disposable system.

The microwave sterilizer was the best! In the first few weeks when the baby eats constantly it was great to was the bottles and then just pop them in the microwave for a few minutes. If not for this my dishwasher would have been running constantly and I don't think I have the patience to sterilize the old fashion stovetop way!!

Unfortunately, my husband sterilized a digital pacifier thermometer with all my 4 oz bottles and they had to be thrown away (not a big deal-my daughter was just starting to eat more so we used the 9oz)

So, now I need to buy newborn bottles and I'm really thinking about the Dr. Browns brand. My daughter was colicky and Avent didn't seem to work and these weren't around yet. I've read sooo many great reviews and was wondering if it's worth it to switch. How hard are they to clean and sterilize? They don't make disposable right? Do you think they would fit in the Avent microwave steamer? Thanks!

kjack145
04-03-2004, 10:03 AM
I wasn't able to breastfeed, either.

I'm a new mom (our girl is 4.5 mo) and we went with Dr. Brown's on the advice of a friend. We had tried the Playtex, but the nipples allowed formula to either flow too fast or too slow. There was never a happy medium.

We never had a problem with Dr. Brown and also never had a problem with colic.

My friend's daughter had colic and she swears these bottles saved the family!

Kathy

AdoptChina
04-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Ive used both bottles. My son was colicky and the Dr Brown bottles didnt help at all, but lots of other people have really liked them. They do have more parts to clean, but that isnt too bad. We ended up switching to the Evenflo bottle with the ultra wide nipple