PDA

View Full Version : Should I skip a sippy cup and go straight to a straw??

Java
04-03-2004, 02:50 AM
I originally started out looking for a sippy cup that was easier for DS to use than the Avent (DH said even he had a hard time sucking from it). But now I question if I should even mess with a sippy and instead should try a straw cup instead...?

Kael has been playing with the Avent since 3 months old as he refused a bottle - and has only sucked from it a handful of times. We've had better success with a Nuby but he's not really sucking from that - he just has to chew on the spout to get water out (all over the place, making a huge mess) - so he's not really learning how to suck or sip.

Should I (1) continue using the Nuby, (2) stick it out with the Avent (hoping that he'll magically get it eventually) or (3) try a straw cup instead. Are there any pros to getting DS efficient at using a sippy only to wean him off that to a cup later?

stillplayswithbarbies
04-03-2004, 03:28 AM
I went straight to a straw cup, we've never used the sippy.

I also use the Drink Up Cup which is a regular cup with a lid that they push in with their lip. Much easier than a sippy.

And she can drink out of a regular cup, I just don't trust her to hold it herself. I started with a small juice glass (plastic) and just put a swallow at a time in it for her to drink. I held it for her at first and tipped it up but now she can do that herself. I just grab it before she tries to set it down. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

signsing
04-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Try taking the valves out. My son won't drink out of any cup he has to suck. So I have taken all the valves out and he does pretty well. That way its a little better than a straight cup but will spill, just won't gush out all over the place. You can also look for a "trainer cup" they usually don't have valves but are small enough for little kids to use. I have a great 4oz one from Longs.
I don't know if my son has a strong enough suck to pull the juice all the way up a straw. I've never really tried it. He likes a wider mouthed cup so it probably wouldn't work for us.

Here's a picture of the cup I got. I love it since its so small, he doesn't have to tip his head back as far to get the last drops.

Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3995.jpg

pritchettzoo
04-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Karen,

I googled this--made by Playtex? Have you seen them IRL stores or just online? I haven't looked for any before, but they certainly look different from the other cups (just from scanning the selection in the past). Do you know if they make one smaller than 9 oz?

Thanks!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

stillplayswithbarbies
04-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Yes, by Playtex

http://www.playtexbaby.com/images/products/180x180/drinkup_cup.jpg

http://www.playtexbaby.com/cupsandmealtime/products/stage4.asp

I don't think they make a smaller one, and this lid is not interchangeable with their smaller sippy cups like their straw cup lids are.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Java
04-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Well, I went to Target last night and bought a straw cup - just for the heck of it.

And guess what? After gumming the straw for a few mintues, he started sucking and drinking water! At first he sucked too much and gagged, spewing water all over the place (of course) but by this afternoon I can see him sucking up water then letting go of the straw to keep from choking.

Tomorrow I'm going to try with EBM. Hopefully he'll learn to suck a few ounces so I can leave him with Grandma for an afternoon... maybe DH and I can even *gasp* go on a DATE!