PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin C

stillplayswithbarbies
04-04-2004, 10:25 PM
When I told the ped I was not giving the poly-vi-sol vitamins, he suggested that I need to be sure she gets citrus fruits or juices, or Juicy Juice brand so that she gets Vitamin C. I wasn't planning on letting her drink much juice, so I guess I can give her oranges.

How do you give oranges to your one year olds? Do you remove the white membrane, or just let them eat the orange, peeled and sectioned? Does the membrane digest? Do canned mandarin oranges have the same vitamin C as fresh oranges?

I don't want to give poly-vi-sol brand, are there other vitamin brands that have vitamin C that are available over-the-counter? Maybe now that she is probably going to start taking less breastmilk, it is time for vitamins, just to tide her over when she starts being a picky toddler.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

COElizabeth
04-04-2004, 10:36 PM
James loves oranges and nectarines. I give him peeled sections. I usually get most of the pith off, but he doesn't seem to mind a little bit. He also likes canned fruit in juice, and that usually has Vitamin C in it, too.

As for vitamins, I recently found a multivitamin liquid (including iron) for toddlers made by Schiff. It is peach flavored and smells much better than the Poly-Vi-Sol, and James takes it much better. In fact, he cries for more! I got it at Whole Foods.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Torey
04-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Well, I have peeled the membrane off the section and given my DD oranges that way. Sometimes she eats them, sometimes she doesn't.

I would imagine that nearly every vitamin available over the counter would contain Vitamin C as it is one of the safest vitamins and can't hurt you even if you overdose on it. I think the Gerber drops I saw at the store yesterday had Vit. C in them.

Also, you can find other things that have vitamin C in them besides just citrus. The Earth's Best Organic Applesauce I bought the other day has vitamin C in it. I think you can get vitamin C from other plant/fruit sources as well.

Momof3Labs
04-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Colin loves canned mandarin oranges and OJ, but the acid gives him diarrhea and a red rash on his bum, so keep an eye out for that and try not to overdo citrus until you know whether Logan is sensitive to it.

Vajrastorm
04-05-2004, 12:24 AM
How about skittles?

- kidding! - :P

lisams
04-05-2004, 01:00 AM
I just checked and 4 oz of mandarin oranges has 100% vit. C (these are the little plastic snack cups). On the bag my oranges came in it says that 1 mediom sized orange has 130% vit.c I think strawberries and tomatoes are also good sources of vitamin C. For the oranges I just cut off the rinds and then cut it into little pieces. The mandarins are easier, just cut in half (they seem a little easier to mush too).

HTH!
Lisa

westchicagomom
04-05-2004, 01:12 AM
I looked into vitamins other than Poly Vi early on after our ped told us I needed to give DD supplemental iron because breastmilk was low in iron. Fortunately they were so disgusting I did my own research and discovered she was wrong (same w/ the rice in the bottle and starting solids at 4 months - and she's fresh out of school!!!) so I discontinued using most vitamins except for the Tri-Vi for the C and D.

I did find some other more natural vitamin brands early on however:
- Country Life Maxi Baby Care w/ just a little iron but 2x as much C as Poly-Vi; raspberry flavored; from Whole Foods; really thick and chalky; kind of disgusting too!
- Childlife Multi-Vitamin and Mineral Natural Orange-Mango Flavor; no iron; lots of C; purchased from VitaNet or some other internet shop; not disgusting!
- Just saw in the grocery store yesterday that Twin Labs has finally come back out w/ their reformulated version of infant vitamin drops w/ added DHA; no iron.

I did a lot of searching and there just aren't that many "natural" drop vitamin choices. If you can give her something other than drops, then you will have more of a selection.