PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have it all? Pumping question!

firstbaby
04-05-2004, 03:14 PM
So today is my first day back to work - I've been able to work out a part-time work arrangement that works for me, my family and my company so that I'll be in the office two days a week and therefore need to have pumped bottles for those days. I'm still exclusively BF'ing and what I want to know is what expectations should I have about pumping at work? My DS is taking about 5 oz. per feeding but the first two bottles I've pumped at work today have only been 3.5 oz and almost 3 oz (sorry if this is TMI). I guess I'll be pumping more at home to bring me to the 5 oz he needs per feeding while I'm at work but is this common? To not pump as much in a feeding as I would if I was BF'ing my DS "in person"? I hope I'm asking this right and I make sense. Again, sorry if this is TMI but I really want to keep BF'ing and not give up yet!!!

nitaghei
04-05-2004, 03:29 PM
The pump isn't as efficient as your baby, so it's not surprising if you pump less. However, the good news is that as your body adjusts and responds better to the pump, your output should improve. Also, I found that it's really, really important to stay hydrated to pump. You body always responds to your baby, but not necessarily to the pump. So drinking enough water is really important. With any luck, you should be able to pump enough. Or you might need to do a couple of extra pumping session in the week to catch up. Early morning is usually a good time, when prolactin levels are really high. Some of the best results I had was pumping within an hour or two of coming into work, after I'd drunk at least 8-10 oz of water.

There's absolutely no reason to give up! It will get better. The first day back is the hardest. Once you settle into a routine, you will do just fine.

I work full time, and I pumped for 14 months. DS needed to be supplemented exactly twice - when I had to go on overnight trips, and I had no freezer stash.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

murpheyblue
04-05-2004, 06:23 PM
As a full-time working and pumping mom, I agree that water is essential to pumping success. There are other things you can do to increase your supply. I take Fenugreek which you can buy at Whole Foods or GNC. Also, eating oatmeal can help. If I'm having a low production day,I try to squeeze in an extra pumping session, pumping every 2.5 hours instead of every 3 which usually gives me a greater output. DD goes to bed at 8:00 p.m. so I generally pump again at 9:30 or 10:00 before I go to bed so give her a little extra.

Hang in there!

Ali
Mom to Megan 9-28-03

calebsmama03
04-06-2004, 11:52 AM
I have an arrangement similar to yours - in office 3 days/week. I went back when DS was 13 weeks and am still pumping (so 10+ months here) and I have rarely been able to pump ALL of what I need while at work. That said, DS was exclusively BF till 8 mos (still going) and never supplemented with formula. I always pump in the early AM on the days I'm at home to build a freezer stash and supplement what I pump at work. (If DS sleeps in- RARE!, I pump both sides and if he wakes me up then I pump one side while or after he finishes nursing) While at work I pump on DS's feeding schedule (so about every 3 hours) for 15 min per session, using a double electric (Ameda PY or Medela PIS). I take fenugreek regularly when I see that I need a boost to my pumping output. Also, as others said, be sure to stay hydrated. I bring at least 2 24oz bottles of water with me and drinking both of them is the difference between a 2oz session and a 4 oz session! Althouhg it has been difficult and I often wish I could be a SAHM and never pump, it has been SO worth it, and I don't regret the extra time or effert it has taken one bit.

Good luck!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

msully9901
04-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi there,

I work 3x/wk and my 7 mos DS is exclusively BF'ing. The most important thing for me when pumping is to be completely relaxed. If I'm uptight about something I only pump about half as much as when my mind is clear. I get the best results if I read a magazine or browse thru a message board while I'm pumping as it helps me stay relaxed. Do you have a good freezer stash? If not you could squeeze in a pumping session on your days at home so that you have extra for the days you work.

Melanie

firstbaby
04-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Ladies:

Thank you so much for the advice and words on encouragement. Things went much much better today and it definitely feels like this is more do-able. Thanks to each of you!!!