PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the bottle or how to keep my sanity

DebbieJ
04-05-2004, 07:43 PM
I've been home for four months now with my little one and I must get out! A pedicure, an overdue teeth cleaning, a massage....can a woman dream?

I do not have a full supply due to a previous breast surgery. We have been supplementing at the breast with a Lact-Aid (www.lact-aid.com). This is a fine arrangement and one that I enjoy. I love providing all my son's nourishment at the breat, but getting out for any long period of time has proved problematic. It's just not as easy to NIP with bags and tubes, you know?

So DH and I have decided to introduce the bottle so that I can get out every once in a while. I have a college alumni event coming up on the 17th and I'd really like to go without my ds.

I'm entering into the realm of bottlefeeding cautiously because I don't want it to jeopardize my already limited supply. Some questions:
1. If I'm out for the night and miss a feeding, should I pump when I come home? I have an Advent Isis that does a pretty good job.
2. Right now ds really only falls asleep both for naps and bedtime at the breast. How is my DH going to get him to sleep?
3. If we do this only occassionally, will my ds develop nipple preference?

I want to be sane and I want to keep my supply up. Right now I provide about 50% mama's milk and I want to keep it that way!

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

~ deb :):)

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

COElizabeth
04-05-2004, 09:12 PM
I would pump when you miss a feeding since you are concerned about your supply. You'll probably want to for comfort, anyway. If you do it only once in a while, your DS probably won't develop a preference for the bottle. As for the baby not going to sleep until you get back, I wouldn't worry too much if it's an occasional thing. He may nurse when you get home and you might not need to pump. It all gets a lot easier when they are a bit older and can be filled up on solids when you have your occasional outing, so don't despair!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

deborah_r
04-06-2004, 01:30 AM
I agree with Elizabeth. Also, your DH will find a way to get him to sleep. And if you don't get out and leave him to figure it out, he won't. It might be hard at first for both of them, but soon your baby will learn that Daddy time is special in it's own way and will learn how Daddy does things.