PDA

View Full Version : Any advice re: breastfeeding on airplane?

gcampbell72
04-06-2004, 01:16 AM
I am planning to fly cross-country with my 5 1/2 month old son on Wednesday. He and I flew back east over the holidays and it went very smoothly. We had our own row and he nursed most of the flight. This time we are on a full flight and, of course, he is quite a bit bigger (i.e. takes up more room nursing on my lap). I have paid for a seat for him, so I will have him in a carseat by the window. That means that I will be in the middle seat. Although I am pretty good at nursing discreetly, I just can not imagine nursing him with a carseat squishing me to one side and a stranger sitting on my other side. Does anyone have any advice or words of encouragement?

Thanks!

Cathy
mom to Owen, 10/17/03

Rachels
04-06-2004, 09:24 AM
I nurse Abby on airplanes pretty often. It's not as comfortable doing it with a stranger on your arm as doing it when you have a row to yourself, but I've found that it's not terrible, either. Wear a loose top that will drape comfortably, and position the baby's head next to the stranger so that he doesn't kick the person sitting there. I haven't had anyone ever even comment, except for one grandmother who said wistfully that she missed nursing her babies. :) Really, it went just fine. Also, I've found that the older Abigail gets, the less she needs to nurse on the plane. She is MUCH easier to entertain in her carseat, and she tends to mainly nurse when she wants to go to sleep. Pack toys, snacks, and books, and hang in there! It's easier than you think it will be.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

dogmom
04-06-2004, 09:40 AM
I did the same set up, me in the middle, seat by window. DS was only 4 months old, but he is long and did not fit in my seat only. Legs stuck out into the next seat no matter how hard I tried. The plane was packed on the way down. Some nice 19 y.o. old student was next to me. He seemed perfectly fine with it, even though I kept apologizing. He would avert his eyes when I BF, even though you hardly saw anything with the drape and everything. On the way up the older business men said "no problem" when I apologized ahead of time, his wife and him always traveled with their kids when they were younger. It turned out the flight wasn't as full and he was able to move to another row. I definately felt introducing myself to my seat mate and apologizing in advance for any errant kicks definately decreased my anxiety. I think just acknowledging that most people wouldn't choose to travel next to an infant and thanking them for their patience diffuses a lot of tension.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

Jen in Chicago
04-06-2004, 09:48 AM
You can do it! I nursed between 2 strangers when I got on a standby flight. You make feeding your child a priority. The funny thing is later in the flight I was talking to the men I was next to. They were BIG police officiers coming to town for a convention. They both had children, and asked me later if I was nursing. I was glad they asked and did not notice my nursing earlier. I was proud of myself.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-06-2004, 10:35 AM
I keep Logan in her carseat and just lean over and nurse her. She has to stretch a turn her head to reach, and I have to lean as far forward as I can, but it works.

The older she gets, the easier she is to distract with cheerios. :) I make sure we nurse before we board, or as other people are boarding, and I don't strap her in until we start to pull away from the gate. (or if the flight attendent tells me to, although so far none of them have said anything about the baby being strapped in as they do their seatbelt checks before we pull away from the gate)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mharling
04-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Nursing on the side closest to the stranger is very discreet because your arm and the baby's head 'block the view'. I nursed ds on a plane when he was 6 months old and the guy in the seat next to us was none the wiser.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

spu
04-06-2004, 09:02 PM
aside from setting a wonderful example by nursing, just think of how happy and quiet all these babies are who are nursing while on an airplane... and all those other babies who are sadly screaming or doped up with benadryl. I"m glad to hear so many success stories!

Hope your trip goes well!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html