PDA

View Full Version : How often to Feed

Bridget
04-07-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm curious to know how often everyone is feeding their babies. My DD is 3 months old and 15lbs. She used to eat every 3 hours with the exception of nightime. Recently she is napping through her normal feeding time in the late morning. The doctor says just feed her when she's hungry, and that this should be obvious. This concerns me however because she isn't eating anymore than normal at her other feedings to be making up for the missed one. Yes she is very big for her age. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks,
Bridget

s_gosney
04-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Bridget-
My DD is 5 mos old and 16 lbs. She eats at least every 3 hours usually, but I know that she can go longer. All I can tell you is that it's normal for babies to not eat as often as they get older. Also, they get more efficient (assuming bf here) over time too, so feeds may not last as long. I think that as long as she's having plenty of wet and poopy diapers and she keeps growing steadily, she's fine. HTH!

AngelaS
04-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Once my girls started sleeping longer before waking up for a feeding, I took that as a sign that they were big enough to go a little longer between feedings and I'd just feed them a bit later. :D

JennyLynn
04-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Hi Bridget,

My DS is also 3 months old. He recently went through a phase where he wouldn't go longer than 2 hours without nursing, but now he goes 2.5 to 3 between feedings during the day and up to 5 hours between feedings at night. It seems that he is getting better at nursing (he takes 10-15 minutes now, not 20-30 like he used to) and his growth is slowing down a bit so he doesn't need as much. Also, I have heard that around 3 months babies' tummies are big enough to hold more food to tide them over longer. If your baby is gaining weight steadily (although not necessarily at the same pace as the early weeks), having plenty of diapers, and seems content, I would say you are doing fine!

Jenny

Bridget
04-13-2004, 07:33 PM
I guess it's just that she is sleeping now for atleast 7 or 8 hours without eating and has cut out a feeding during the day as well! I have started giving her a formula feeding in the middle of the day so that we will both be used to this when I go back to work (part time) and she only drinks about 5-5 1/2 oz. at that feeding. I'm wondering if she's teething because she's drooling and biting alot, although the doctor said no, that it's"oral exploration".

Regards,
Bridget

Mom to Amy Grace 1/9/04