PDA

View Full Version : What brand of crackers?

kaitlinsmommy
04-08-2004, 11:50 AM
DD eats goldfish crackers every day & I would really like her eating healthier crackers. I have read about 100% whole grain crackers but am not sure which ones are good. Any suggestions? TIA!

p.s. any health snack suggestions are appreciated too. I feel like we're in a rut & nothing is very healthy.

slknight
04-08-2004, 12:15 PM
DS loves the TLC crackers made by Kashi. You should be able to find them in the whole-foods/organic section of your grocery store. They make a couple different flavors. The cheese ones are kind of like Goldfish. I think they are a little plain, but Alex loves them. I really like the 7-grain ones they make. They are all natural and have no trans fat in them. Alex would eat crackers all day if I would let him.

zuzu
04-08-2004, 02:01 PM
If you want to stick with something to similar to the goldfish crackers, Annie's now makes cheddar bunnies. We haven't tried them, and I haven't examined the label, but I am pretty sure they are trans-fat free. Healthy Times brand (I think that's the brand) has some crackers and whole grain cereal-type snacks. If you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (or other similar store) nearby, you should be able to find some good alternatives. I also second the TLC crackers recommendation.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

amp
04-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Not that they will be healthier, but Goldfish is coming out with a trans fat free cracker. Taste testers found them to be a bit crunchier than the regular, but still fairly tasty.

sadie427
04-08-2004, 03:02 PM
If you're near a trader joe's, try the "mini stone wheat" crackers. Sammy seems to like them, and I think they're pretty tasty myself--i'd certainly serve them with cheese at a party. They're pretty healthy--no hydrogenated oils.

JElaineB
04-08-2004, 06:11 PM
I have some of the Annie's Cheddar Bunnies someone mentioned. DS hasn't tried them yet but they seem like they will be exactly the same as Goldfish, just in a bunny shape. They have no hydrogenated oils, no artificial flavors, and are made with organic wheat flour. You might also look for "Our Family Farm" brand crackers. They also make cookies too. I have a box of their Field Friends Baked Wheat Crackers. They are in farm animal shapes and are cute. They aren't a whole lot bigger than goldfish. DS even makes his "horsie" noise when he eats the horse (or the cow - he can't tell the difference)! They have no hydrogenated oils, artifical colors, flavors or preservatives and are made with organic whole wheat flour. The profits from this brand goes to children's charities. I bought both of these crackers at my local natural foods co-op. They normally cost at least twice as much as goldfish, though. They seem to have one type of "kiddie cracker" on sale a month, so that is the one I buy! Much cheaper that way! I should go in and see what they have this month.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Marisa6826
04-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Sophie LOOOOVES Annie's Cheddar Bunnies.

She starts hollering when she sees the purple box in the grocery store!!!

And I don't feel as guilty giving them to her since they're organic ;)

-m