PDA

View Full Version : Reflux questions

s_gosney
04-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Kylee was diagnosed with reflux at her 1 mo appt. We gave her zantac, and her fussiness subsided quite a bit. Around 3 mos, I stopped giving it to her. I'm not very good at remembering medicines in general (this is why we have kylee in the first place...:)), so I forgot to give it to her for a day or two and she never got fussy like she had been, so I just never gave it to her anymore. Since then, she hasn't had hiccups like she used to and she hasn't been overly fussy, but she does have a cough that won't go away and I can sometimes hear what I think is her refluxing (a gurgly noise in her throat). Sometimes she spits up 5 times in one day, somedays not at all. Last week I took her to the ped because she'd been acting funny, fussing when I would lay her down, so I thought she might have an ear infection. Ped says no ear infection, try the zantac again. My question is should I do this? She's started arching her back again and she hasn't really been sleeping well at night lately. It's so hard to tell what's going on though. There's been a bad diarreah (sp?) bug going around her daycare, so I know she's had some abdominal discomfort from that. I just don't know what to do. I hate to give her meds if she doesn't need it, but I also don't want her to be in pain if there's something I can do about it. Also, I've gotten rid of dairy in my diet. Is there anything else I should try to cut? Sorry this got so long. Thanks for the help!

HelenD
04-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Put her back on the Zantac.

It won't hurt her, and you'll know within a week if it's the reflux (which it sounds exactly like) or something else. If the Zantac works, you know not to go off for awhile (I'm asking about trying to go off at the 6 month appointment). If it doesn't, you can go back to your Pediatrian with the Reflux elimated as a cause.

But honestly, the symptoms you describe are SO much like my DD's and her reflux, I'd get her on the Zantac ASAP.

JMHO.

Helen

peanut4us
04-09-2004, 08:49 AM
If she's arching her back and not wanting to be on her back, give her the medicine. It's a very safe medicine for babies. Don't make her go through that pain unnecessarily. You can always try it for 4 or 5 days and see if she seems better. If so, keep on. If not, stop. But you do need to give it several days.

MY DD is STILL on freaking reflux medicine, but my ped said that usually they outgrow it between 6-12 monhts.

jbowman
04-09-2004, 10:32 PM
My daughter has reflux and we've been giving her Prevacid everyday since the end of January. The way we remember to give it to her is by incorporating the administration of the medicine into our bedtime routine. This has worked well for us. HTH!

jamsmu
04-09-2004, 10:32 PM
I give DS zantac when he needs it. This began around 5 months. If he's arching and tossing himself around (which he hasn't done for a while) then I'll grab the Zantac. Otherwise (and he still vomits up to 5 times/day (though sometimes never) I skip it. I know its safe for him to have it... but figure why bother if he's fine?