PDA

View Full Version : starting solids question

s_gosney
04-09-2004, 01:29 AM
Kylee is approaching the 6 month mark, so I'm starting to think about solids. She can sit up by herself, and she is really curious about what I'm eating and drinking now. Thing is, I'm not in any hurry. I'm drowning in school work right now, and keeping the housework done is hard enough without adding extra laundry and extra dishes. Plus, our little apartment is being taken over by baby gear, so I honestly don't even have a spot to put her highchair right now. I'm thinking that I would like to wait until this semester is over and we get moved into a little bigger place which will probably be mid to late may. This would put K at 7 mos. This is okay, right? I'm assuming that there's nothing magical about 6 mos, but I don't want to go to our 6 mo check and the ped freak out on me for not having given her any food yet.
I need to start gathering info too. I'm planning on reading the satter book everyone seems to like and it looks like kelly mom has some info too. Anything else I need to look into? Thanks so much!

jec2
04-09-2004, 01:43 AM
I have very little experience at this so far (considering Finn is the same age as Kylee :))

However, I don't think it's a problem to wait at all. We just started last weekend and actually have only done rice cereal twice. It's been fun so far. Actually Finn didn't really seem to express serious interest, but once the food was in front of him, he's loving it. We got the go ahead at 4 mos. but finally decided we'd do it mostly since it gives DH the opportunity to feed him since Finn isn't too interested in a bottle and I do have to work several hours 2-3 days/week.

jamsmu
04-09-2004, 10:36 PM
I'd do a little research before you wait. I know that somewhere I read that the Academy of Peds. said to begin solids between 4 and 6 months b/c this time period will reduce the chances of getting juvenile diabetes.

Honestly, its messy for the first few weeks, then the mess goes away and its easy. If she's really watching you, drinking you out of formula, reaching for your food, sitting up, etc., I'd think about beginning. If you don't want to use the high chair, you can get one of the travel boosters that straps onto the chair at the table. Friends of ours never got the high chair and have been using this since their DD was 5 months.

mommyj_2
04-10-2004, 01:47 AM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the study that said not to wait past 6 months was somewhat problematic. Does anyone remember the thread where this was discussed? I know it was a few months ago.
I know a lot of moms are waiting, or are just letting their babies get small tastes of food at first, rather than just jumping right in to regular meals (even one/day). I think we started solids when DS was a little over 6 months old, but I know he didn't eat one meal/day regularly until he was at least 7 or 8 months old.
A lot of moms at mothering.com hold off on solids. I'm sure you could find some helpful info there.
Or, if you do want to start solids now but don't want to buy a highchair right away, you can always have someone hold Kylee while you feed her. I got irritated with trying to decide on a highchair (and the thought of buying another item that would only be useful for a while), and never bought a highchair. It's worked out fine so far. DH holds him while I feed him.
HTH!

stillplayswithbarbies
04-10-2004, 11:06 PM
here is an article about delaying solids

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03