PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the Medela PIS and the new Medela PIS advanced?

elizamamma
04-09-2004, 03:12 PM
My SIL is willing to give me her Medela Pump in Style, which I think is about 4 years old. I'm not really bothered that it's used, we're very close. However, I'm hoping to exclusively breastfeed even after returning to work, and if the new Medela Advanced PIS is significantly better than the older one, I'm willing to spring for it.
The baby isn't due until July, but I'm doing the research now.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Liz

octmom
04-09-2004, 03:34 PM
I've never used the original PIS, but I do have the Advanced version and find it works well. I work FT and DS hasn't had formula except for about two ounces in the hospital just after he was born. He was really hungry and my milk had not yet come in. I pump twice a day at work and visit DS at daycare midday to feed him. So far, I've been able to keep up with his demand and he is a BIG boy. Was 10 pounds, 5.5 ounces at birth and weighed 19 lbs 6 ounces on Monday at a little over 5 months.

HTH.

October Mom

DS: Sean, 10/29/03

jerseygirl07067
04-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Hi Liz,

I use the Medela PIS Classic and my friend has the PIS Advanced. One of the differences is that the Advanced version has a "let-down" button which may be helpful. (and may be easier to do while trying to pump and use one hand) You push the button and it automatically adjusts the pumping to high speed, low suction which helps with letdown. I can do that on my classic, but I just have to adjust the two dials instead, doable, but only a tad harder when I'm trying to double pump. Also, the Advanced has a removable motor and travel pack if I remember correctly. You could try out your pump first and then see if you want to spend the extra for those features. Honestly, I love my classic PIS and don't miss what I don't have.
I got my classic PIS at breast-pump.com for $199 and free shipping. (the owner is actually a friend of mine. She is married to one of DH's fraternity brothers from college!) I think the Advanced is more, but because the prices are so much lower than retail stores to begin with, you could always splurge and get the Advanced if you want those extra features.

HTH!
Marcy