PDA

View Full Version : Ped. said I might want to start solids at 5 mo. Does this make sense?

chlobo
04-09-2004, 08:02 PM
I was at the ped. today. My DD has a rash and also this week has started night waking after sleeping consistently for 10-12 hrs/night for at least a month.

Anyhow, she has only gained 10oz in the past month. She's 5 1/2 months old and 11 lbs 14oz. At her last appt. she was in the 10% percentile. So the ped. said that b/c of the small weight gain & the night waking it might mean that she's ready for solids.

Does this make sense? I thought that the solids they eat at first are just for practice. If this is the case, then I don't see how they will help with weight gain as she'll still be getting most of her calories from the breastmilk.

Also, she's already shown a sensitivity to something I'm eating. We're not sure yet if its dairy or eggs or what so I'm reluctant to start solids that may help an allergy along.

What do folks think?

JElaineB
04-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Your daughter *may* be ready for solids, but the reasons your ped is giving don't seem like the reasons you would use to decide if you should start solids. To me, the signs you should use include the baby showing interest in your food, losing the tongue thrust reflex, accepting foods from a spoon. There is one other sign, that they have gained a certain amount of weight (doubled their birth weight? - I'm not sure.) I started solids with my son when he showed these signs, which did happen to be just past 5 months old. We did not have any allergy issues to contend with though. I did not find starting solids changed his night waking or feeding habits at all. You are right, the first solids are for practice, and to get used to eating something other than liquid (breast milk or formula). A few spoonfuls of cereal or fruit a day, which is what they will eat at first, won't have a major impact on how hungry they are at night. Plus I thought cereal is less calorie-dense than breast milk? (I'm sure someone will post with that info). Given the possible allergy problem it seems prudent to wait at least until you figure that out. If your daughter is showing signs and *you* think it is time to start, at least start with something that is probably not causing an allergic reaction or intolerance, like rice for cereal or pears for fruit.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

houseof3boys
04-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Solids are just for practice since it is your breastmilk that is her main source of nutrition. Is she showing signs that she is ready? Just because she is in the 10th percentile is not a reason to start solids. Ryan is and has been in the 10th percentile for a while and that is just the way he is.

I also had to use Lactose free milk since he was showing a reaction (throwing up and lots of spit up) when I had regular milk. Try it and see if it makes a difference with his rash.

Have you read http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html on solids yet? The night waking can certainly be from teething at her age too! It is extremely common, so just be on the lookout for other signs. Congratulations on her sleeping 10-12 hours a night too....you are a lucky mommy!

Trust your instinct, not your peds advice since you know your baby and your ped gave poor advice on "why" to start solids!!!

Best of luck to you. :)

chlobo
04-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Well the sleeping party is over. Ever since last Saturday she's now been waking every two hours with some kind of discomfort.

msarna
04-12-2004, 10:14 AM
My DD started rice cereal at 4 months at the recommendation of her peditrician. She was breastfed exculsively until that point. She is five months old now and she loves rice cereal, odd I know. She also loves eating from a spoon. We are starting to introduce some vegetables now.

At 4 months she was 25" long and 14lbs! She was born 6lbs! She is in the 75 percentile for both height and weight.

I think each parent should do what is right for the child. In addition, I think if you do not agree with your peditrician on certain subjects, you should find a new doctor.

I am very comfortable with my childs doctor and we agree on almost everything! If my doctor didn't share my same views and feelings I would have found a different one.