PDA

View Full Version : How to leave baby at 3 weeks old...

jd11365
04-09-2004, 09:56 PM
My friend's DH was the gaffer on the new John Travolta movie The Punisher. They are invited to a special showing but need to be gone for about 4.5 hours. She is afraid that pumping will throw her off and isn't even sure her DD will take a bottle of EBM anyway. Do you have any suggestions as to how she might attend sans baby? I didn't really pump, so I can't really help...but want to. I know someone here might have a suggestion...

TIA!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

C99
04-09-2004, 10:06 PM
She's going to need to pump about halfway through the event anyway because even if she isn't worried about supply (which is an issue before 6 weeks or so), her boobs will be about to burst at that point. If she can pump immediately after a feeding for a few days prior to the event, she will have enough milk to supply a bottle for her daughter, unless she just wants to try to give her a bottle of formula. You can definitely pump that early (I established my supply by pumping), but the possible problems w/ a 4-hour break will be engorgement and supply.

Momof3Labs
04-09-2004, 10:08 PM
At 3 weeks old, can she maybe just bring the baby in a pretty sling? At that age, some newborns sleep all the time anyways (plus that boob would be so close by). That would be my first choice.

Otherwise, whoever is sitting for the baby could use a cup, eyedropper or bottle to feed her EBM (though mama should expect to have to duck out and pump once or twice during the evening, depending on how many feedings she is missing). But 3 weeks is kind of early to introduce a bottle, unless nursing has been smooth sailing for them.

houseof3boys
04-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I would see if she could bring the baby in a sling. I'm sure her daughter will sleep most of the time anyway since she is soooo young. Her boobs will be so full if she doesn't pump too and I wouldn't want to mess with her supply! 3 weeks is way too little to give a bottle too IMO.

DebbieJ
04-10-2004, 02:25 PM
While I agree on the baby in a sling idea, my DH works in Hollywood so I know that those screenings are LOUD. I wouldn't want my newborn exposed to that noise. JMHO.

My DH had a cast and crew screening of The Alamo this past week. Instead of worrying about slinging or pumping, I just stayed home. It's easier that way. It's my DH's work gig anyway, not a social event for me.

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

msully9901
04-11-2004, 12:15 AM
I left my now 7 mos DS with his grandparents when he was 3 weeks old to attend a wedding and reception. I knew it would be loud and smokey so I didn't want to bring him along. To prepare for the night out I started pumping during the 2nd week both to introduce a bottle and to build up a bit of a freezer stash. By the day of the wedding, DS had taken about 4 bottles of EBM so I wasn't worried about him going hungry while I was gone and was able to enjoy myself. I brought my pump along and used it twice over the course of the evening. FWIW, I introduced a bottle of EBM at around 2 weeks of age with all 3 of my kids and never had a problem switching back and forth between breast and bottle.

Melanie