PDA

View Full Version : Is it appropriate for my 9-week old to use a fast-flow nipple?

Cassandra27
04-10-2004, 02:47 PM
I've been back to work for about a month now, and we're still breastfeeding and I pump during the day at work. DH has suddenly been having a hard time feeding her her last bottle of the morning before he takes her to the nanny. He says she gets upset and doesn't seem to be able to eat from the bottle, and it takes over an hour for her to suck down just 2 ounces. The nanny reported no problems on the first day I asked about it, but then on the second day she said that it was indeed taking a bit longer for her to feed and that maybe we should consider a faster flow nipple. We use Playtex bottles with disposable liners, but they don't make a medium flow nipple in any type other than the orthodontic one. She does somtimes suffer from nipple confusion, so I'd like to not change nipple types.

Is it appropriate to use a fast-flow nipple on a baby so young? Any other ideas on what our problem/solution could really be?

Cassandra
mom to Jenna, born 02/03/04

californiagirl
04-10-2004, 06:34 PM
We had problems with the Playtex disposables and switched to Playtex Vent-air. It's a bit tricky to find the Natural latch nipples for them (Target here has them, but Walgreens doesn't), I think because they're new, but somehow the disposable liners were collapsing in a bad way, and it just didn't work well for DD. The Vent-air have been much faster (still with the slow-flow nipple).

etwahl
04-10-2004, 08:01 PM
I would NOT use a fast-flow nipple if you are breastfeeding. If you do, your dd will learn to prefer the bottle (because it's faster and easier) than she will you. This has caused many a problem in breastfeeding. So if the particular brand you are using isn't working for you, perhaps try suggesting to another brand.

FWIW, we always used Dr. Brown's wide mouth and they are great. A little bit of a pain to clean, BUT they are awesome in that she never got gas from the bottle. the way they work is great at preventing gas.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

heidi_timms
04-10-2004, 08:46 PM
I actually checked with a LC regarding this same issue, so I would check with your local LC if possible. My milk flows very fast out of my breasts. DD used to choke until she got used to it's flow! My LC said to get nipples to match my flow since breastfeeding was strongly established already. I think that you only really need to be careful of offering the faster flowing nipples during the first few weeks or month, *depending* on how breastfeeding is going for you.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Cassandra27
04-11-2004, 12:29 AM
Thanks, ladies. Those are some good thoughts. I certainly will not run out and buy fast flow nipples now. I do have some Vent Aire bottles, so maybe we'll try those and see how it goes.

I'd love to read some more opinions or stories on this issue, and look forward to even more replies. Thanks again!

Cassandra
mom to Jenna, born 02/03/04