PDA

View Full Version : Milk allergy/intolerance?

jd11365
04-11-2004, 03:29 PM
We started whole milk this week. This morning I've noticed a target/bullseye around her anus which I think is supposed to indicate an intolerance to milk. Is this true? What should I do? I started a few weeks earlier than the 1 year suggestion, but come on, what's a few weeks among friends? Should I go back to nursing during the daytime hours, or does it really matter?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Momof3Labs
04-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Here's a link that discusses lactose intolerance and milk allergies:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032100.asp

Has she been fussy or clingy this week? Colin was super clingy and fussy, and had diarrhea and the red ring, and as soon as we stopped milk it went away. He does fine now with lactose free milk!

jd11365
04-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Thanks. And to answer your questions...yes, yes, and yes. Fussy, diarrhea and the red ring... Great. Will she have to drink lactose free milk forever? And what about other dairy? She had been good with cheese and yogurt before we went to milk...but I've been giving her a lot of dairy this week because of cutting down on the BFing. And have you used the drops to add to milk...are they safe for babies? Sorry for all the questions at once...

My mom thinks it's just temporary because she's just not used to it yet. Do you think this could this be true?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Momof3Labs
04-11-2004, 11:16 PM
My ped didn't seem to think that this was temporary, but did suggest that we eventually try to wean him back to regular milk, though she didn't express an opinion on how successful we might be. I haven't tried yet - waiting for the eye teeth to finish coming in! Yogurt and cheese have never bothered Colin, only the milk.

The drops to add to milk are not available in the U.S., so I ordered them from Canada. DH (who is also lactose intolerant) is "testing" them before we use them for Colin, so we'll probably try them later this week! Until now, we've used Lactaid whole milk with no problem.

jd11365
04-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks Lori. I appreciate your suggestions and help! Please let me know how the drops go when/if you try them w/ Colin...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Momof3Labs
04-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I'll do that - and let me know how things go with Kayla.

jd11365
04-12-2004, 11:06 AM
So I spoke to my girlfriends about this too and they told me their children had the same problem when they first introduced whole cow's milk. They suggested I give her less, maybe a cup a day or less, to get her used to it. Both their children improved within a couple of months by getting adjusted. Then I called my ped...of course that means I got the secretary, who is the acting ped when you call with a question...to ask what they recommend. She said to gradually introduce with 2% if there is a reaction like I had because it has less of the protein that is hard for them to digest. She said if Kayla is getting additional fats from yogurt and cheese without problem, the 2% is fine. Anyone else go with 2%? What do you think?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

daisymommy
04-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Joshua is lactose intolerant nad had all the same symptoms as Lori described. In addition to that, he also gets constipated. But with Josh, he can't eat ANY dairy products including cheese or yogurt, which is so hard because he loves them both. But a cup of yogurt and a serving of cheese in a week spells BIG trouble. I fed him macaroni and cheese and he was crying holding his tummy rolling around in bed till nearly 1am. Poor baby, and bad mommy! But drinking Lactaid milk works absolutley great for him. No problems whatsoever.

I try a milk product or small glass of whole milk every now and then to see if his body is producing more lactase enzyme now, and see if he can tolerate it--but at 20 months, sadly NO. It has nothing to do with not being used to it. Either their body produces the lactase enzyme to digest milk or it doesn't.

One thing we have found that works is the Lactaid capsules (meant to be swallowed), because we couldn't find the drops. We only use them if we are feeding him something with cheese in it as an occasional treat. We crush two tablets in a spoon, swirl it in some applesauce, and feed it to him before he eats a dairy food. Yes, drops would be much easier! BTW, the generic/store brand tablets work just as well as the Lactaid brand, and they cost half as much.

There are a few Lactose free cheeses out there, and Whole Foods or Trader Joes makes mac and cheese, pizza, and yogurt that is made with soy and therefor lactose free as well.

Good luck!

McQ
04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Declan has the "bulls-eye" too. And what DH considers diarrhea but I've changed more poopy diapers then he and just thought it was a change in consistency that I wrote off as normal until I read this post. Well I'll be checking his pants tonight, calling the ped tomorrow and reporting back of course.

Love knowing I'm not in this alone. Glad you all are here. Thanks.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

lfp2n
04-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Lori

Do you think that you need the bum bullseye to indicate intolerance? DD has been clingy and whiny lately and we've had these awful night waking episodes in the last week or so, she's awake for 2 or 3 hours in the middle of the night and she just can't get back to sleep even though she's really tired, she'll sleep for a few mintes and wake up again. I started thinking something was up with the milk, I've already stopped pumping so now I had to switch to formula for the afternoon bottle today to see if that helped.

Lucy and DD (3/27/03)

Momof3Labs
04-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Jamie, how much whole milk (ounces) was Kayla drinking per day when this started? Colin was only drinking 2-3 ounces per day when this first started (he was still primarily breastfed), so I suspected that it wouldn't be resolved by going more gradually.

2% won't help if Kayla is indeed lactose intolerant - it just has a lower fat content, but still has plenty of lactose to irritate her tummy.

An easy way to tell would be to pull her off of all milk (it can take up to 2 weeks to clear her system, but we noticed a difference within a day) and then try her on some Lactaid milk for a few days. It's only a few dollars for a half-gallon, so a pretty cheap experiment. Then try adding regular milk in gradually and see how it goes.

Unfortunately, there is no medical test for lactose intolerance, it is just a process of elimination thing.

Momof3Labs
04-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Lucy, when did you introduce milk and how much is she drinking? I don't know if you *need* the red bum or not. It could be that she is teething (molars and eye teeth are particularly wicked) or that her tummy just isn't used to the milk and she needs a more gradual introduction. Have you tried Motrin? If Motrin helps get her through the night, then it is probably the teeth.

lfp2n
04-12-2004, 04:45 PM
I introduced milk about 2 weeks ago. She only has 4 teeth so it could be that, I do give Motrin but it doesn't help with the sleeping problem. She also seems to have had a reaction to the MMR and chicken pox vaccine, a fever and a few red spots in the last couple of days. I'm really not sure whats up she is just generally miserable and not herself.

Lucy

ETA she was drinking about 5oz a day last week I've used formula the last couple of days though.

jra
04-12-2004, 09:38 PM
If you do need to use lactose free milk long term, definitely try ordering the drops from Canada. We've been using them for a little over a year with ds (he's 2.5) and they work great. Lactaid is way too overpriced.

Jennifer

Momof3Labs
04-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Lucy, it sounds like it is probably something other than the milk, although you could try cutting out the milk and reintroducing it when she has less going on in her little body.

jd11365
04-12-2004, 11:41 PM
She was drinking maybe 4 oz for just 3 days. I pulled her off milk since yesterday, and her bum has cleared up w/ good 'ol Triple Paste and warm baths... I think I'm going to try the milk again to assure that it was really the milk that caused the problem in the first place. If it happens again than I will definitely know and will go to Lactaid as you suggested to see if that makes the difference. Like you said, I guess this is a process of elimination thing. Poor thing...experimenting w/ her little tummy. I'll let you know how it goes. You are such a gem for answering all of these questions!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

McQ
04-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Jamie ~ I talked with my ped this morning and she said that she doubts Declan's bulls-eye is milk intolerance. She just thinks it's irritated from the change in consistency of his poops and adjusting to the milk. That she doubts it's an intolerance because he'd been on Enfamil Lipil which is cow milk based. She said just to give him warm baths, air dry the area with a blow dryer (right!) and to treat with desitin. If that doesn't clear, lotramin because it could be fungal, and if that doesn't clear it, then to bring him in.

Glad Kayla's tushy is doing better. And I have to ask ~ what's the Triple Paste?

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

jd11365
04-13-2004, 04:31 PM
>air dry thearea with a blow dryer (right!)

I can't stop laughing at that one...or picturing it in my head!

Triple Paste is a fabulous diaper rash creme...for the rough ones...more potent than regular Desitin/A&D. I learned about it here of course! I had my pharmacy order it. It clears diaper rash up in a day...really. It's fantastic! It comes in a little 2 oz jar, but you don't use it for everyday. I put it on anytime I see any redness. http://www.epinions.com/content_103208423044

HTH! And thanks for the info. from your ped...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

stillplayswithbarbies
04-13-2004, 05:18 PM
You can get it at Target, you have to ask for it in the pharmacy.

It's the best stuff!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

daisymommy
04-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Allsion,
FYI...Joshua was on cows milk based formula too, adn was doing just fine. It wasn't till we switched over to regular cows milk that all the problems started. Weird, I know, but true.

jra
04-13-2004, 08:57 PM
My son was also on cows milk based formula and was doing fine. But he too had a problem when we switched over to regular cows milk.

Jennifer