PDA

View Full Version : faster letdown?

SeekerMage
04-12-2004, 01:07 AM
other then relaxation breathing and such....any suggestions on getting a faster letdown for an impatient baby?

I think my supply has been down and her not wanting to wait for let down and then not wanting to stick around to get a lot of the good stuff isnt helping....crazy baby....please dont wean already~! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Imperia
04-12-2004, 05:26 AM
A couple of things you can try:

taking a hot shower, or using hot compresses right before nursing

if you have a pump you can try pumping for a couple of minutes until your breasts let down. You could also try hand expressing, but pumping might be faster.

to help your supply the best thing to do is let her suck at the breast as much as she wants (for food or comfort). If she uses a pacifer you might want to let her nurse a little instead. Some people also reccomend fenugreek and/or oatmeal (not instant) or mother's milk tea. I have never used those things but I know people here have and can tell youmore about them if need be.

Good luck!

Imperia

DebbieJ
04-12-2004, 12:16 PM
You might want to try some breast compression.

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/15.html

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

tarahsolazy
04-12-2004, 03:04 PM
I second the breast compression. My guy likes his food fast and NOW! When he starts to slow down on his gulping, I start to compress, and he starts up again. This cuts down on the fussy nursing, which I hate. Fuss, fuss, suck, suck... etc.

hez
04-12-2004, 03:16 PM
LOL-- when I think about it, DS does his OWN breast compression! He's started squeezing me during his meals :)

Momof3Labs
04-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Another vote for breast compression!

lynettefrancois
04-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Ok, but I've been compressing for a month solid doing a cross-cradle, and my arms are going to fall off! :) She won't eat unless I'm compressing. It seems to be getting worse. I had VERY fast let down and flow before, I guess it slowed down a lot. I read something about that happening in the fourth month or so. But now what? Should I try the fenugreek? And where do I get some? Any ideas appreciated (by me and my arms!)...

SeekerMage
04-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestion for the breast compression....it seems to be helping a little....alteast it got her interested in nursing for longer then three minutes and she started to snooze a little (after fussing and screaming for fifteen minutes) and its been a long time since she has done that! Hopefully it will keep working! Thanks for all the help...you gals are the best!

jerseygirl07067
04-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Funny you mention that. I had such fast let down in the beginning that DD would get squirted. And I'm talking squirted by a few streams at once ! (okay TMI) DH liked to joke about it too. Now things have normalized (at almost four months like you mentioned in your post) and now I think DD has been used to the faster flow. If milk comes out too slowly she'll slow down and get a bit sleepy, but if I compress, it solves the problem, and she continues to eat very quickly and efficiently. (I found myself starting to do a little breast compression without even realizing that it IS something in the books, etc.)

Marcy

spunkybaby
04-17-2004, 07:49 PM
>Should I try the fenugreek? And where do I get some?

I bought fenugreek at GNC, but found it to be much cheaper at Whole Foods Market ($14 for a bottle of 100 capsules at GNC vs. $8 or $9 at Whole Foods). I wish I'd checked Whole Foods first!

New mom to spunky baby

spunkybaby
04-17-2004, 07:51 PM
> Should I try the fenugreek? And where do I get some?

I bought fenugreek at GNC and then later found it at Whole Foods Market. It was cheaper at Whole Foods ($14 for a bottle of 100 capsules at GNC vs. $8 or $9 at Whole Foods). Wish I'd checked Whole Foods first!

ETA: Oops--didn't think my original message had posted. Sorry for the duplication!

New mom to spunky baby

proggoddess
04-17-2004, 07:56 PM
I just posted about getting more milk when pumping. I'm drinking the mother's milk tea, 1 cup a day. I've only done it 2 days, but this afternoon when I tried pumping, my "slow" side was much faster than the "fast" side, even in the morning. Don't know if it's solely the tea, but it's encouraging to get some results.

calebsmama03
04-18-2004, 04:49 PM
This website has some suggestions for herbal supplements that can help with letdown, as well as some others for increasing supply.
http://www.drjaygordon.com/bf/galact.htm
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

lynettefrancois
04-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!