PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding refresher needed

trumansmom
04-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Okay, with the induction looming tomorrow night, I have more questions that keep popping up! DS and I got off to a really, really rocky start breastfeeding (it took him almost a month to latch on), and I want things to go more smoothly this time.

1) How often should I try to feed the first couple of days? I feel like I didn't do it often enough with Truman.

2) How early should I start pumping in order to establish a stash? I had horrible supply problems with DS, and ended up having to supplement more often than I would have liked. I'm thinking if I had pumped more earlier, it might have helped.

I do have a great LC that I used with DS, and she knows about the induction and will be coming by to visit on Wednesday, but I just wanted to be prepared in the meanwhile.

TIA!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

COElizabeth
04-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Jeanne,

I nursed James pretty much every time he woke up and started fussing. He would not go very long at a time, so often he would cry just a short time later (sometimes less than half an hour). I had read that nursing as often as possible in the early weeks would really help your supply, so that's what I did. I now think that part of why he ate so frequently was because of reflux pain, but in any case, the very frequent nursing seemed to pay off in that I never had any supply problems at all. I also started pumping to relieve engorgement pretty much right after I got home from the hospital, and that was a good time for me to build a stash, because I had a much easier time pumping early on. I hope things go smoothly for you this time!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

mamicka
04-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Oh, tomorrow night... how exciting for you, Jeanne! I would just ditto the above poster. I don't think you can feed too often the first couple days. I also didn't have as much stash as I would have liked. I wish I would have started pumping earlier even though I was never really engorged. I would say - start pumping as soon as you don't feel like the baby is attached 24/7.

Good luck to you! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow night. :)

Allison

nitaghei
04-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Jeanne,
1) Do not go more than 3 hours without nursing - around the clock, for the first few days. You need to nurse a minimum of 8 times, and more - if the baby wants it. DS was pretty much attached to me for the first couple of days when he was awake - until he went back to NICU.

2) I wouldn't worry about pumping for the first 4 weeks or so. Much better for the baby to nurse each time - it helps establish your supply. The best thing for your supply is to let the baby nurse on demand. The more, the better. Also, the pump is harder on you than the baby, so pumping is more comfortable after you're over the initial soreness.

Good luck!!

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

jubilee
04-13-2004, 02:05 AM
Wow your big day is almost here!! I would try to nurse every 3 hours, around the clock for the first week at least. I didn't and Logan ended up jaundiced and on a bili-blanket at home and almost hospitalized- maybe he would have been jaundiced anyway, though. As for pumping, I'd think you'd want to wait until your milk has come in and the baby's gotten all the clorostrum. You and baby will be fine- remember you are a PRO now! :)

suribear
04-13-2004, 05:11 AM
Feed whenever the baby gives signs of being hungry. As they say, watch the baby, not the clock :) I fed anywhere from every 1-3 hours at first, but it was worth it and it doesn't go on like that forever, as you know. If you feel engorged, go ahead and pump to relieve the engorgement. Save that to start your stash, but the best way to increase your supply is to have the baby nurse. Now this is assuming s/he has a good latch. if you have problems, the LCs should be able to help out.

Good Luck!

Kris

quikeye
04-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Just for those who don't know, some of the signs of baby being hungry in the beginning include "rooting (turning the head from side to side with the mouth open as if searching for the nipple), mouthing fingers, clenching fists, and drawing up legs." (The Breastfeeding Book, Sears). For my son, his big hunger cue was pushing his tongue in and out of his mouth, like licking his lips... This was the main cue until about 2 weeks ago when he just started to play with his hands and mouth with some precision :) I found that when I watched him and tried to follow his cues (along with knowing he should be eating about every 2 hours in the first few days), I could get him to eat/drink.

I also had trouble feeding at first because my breast was too engorged/just too swollen for baby to get his mouth around. So, I made myself a "nipple sandwich", using my hand to press my nipple into a flatter shape, making it easier for baby to latch on. (None of the nurses @ the hospital told me this, though they were helpful ds still wasn't getting a good latch-- I read this recommendation on this board & it made a world of difference in making sure we have a good latch and keeping it).

Best of luck!!