PDA

View Full Version : How awful is it to give chocolate milk to 1 yr old?

jubilee
04-13-2004, 02:30 AM
He won't drink whole white milk from a sippy- should I try to make it with Quik or Ovaltine? Would it intice him to drink it?

emmiem
04-13-2004, 09:09 AM
I use ovaltine. I don't put in as much as they say on the jar. At least, my DD will drink milk now.
Michele

shishamo
04-13-2004, 09:54 AM
I used chocolate soy milk (and vanilla soy milk as well) mixed in with regular milk to entice my kids to start drinking more milk, and once they are used to it, just decrease the ratio until it's all milk.
Also, try different cups, maybe? -we like straw cups much better. You can also start with regular cups to get used to the taste of milk?

C99
04-13-2004, 10:01 AM
I've given Nate chocolate or "hot" chocolate before. He drinks whole white milk now, but generally does better with it when it's warm.

Momof3Labs
04-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Colin had a hard time with milk for a while, too, and what worked was adding a splash of orange juice to his milk glass. It kind of tasted like a creamsicle. Once he was used to drinking that, we added less and less until finally his cup was all milk.

I felt better exposing him to OJ than to chocolate, for some reason.

jubilee
04-14-2004, 02:37 AM
Well, I gave DS milk mixed with a slight amount of ovaltine (malt flavor) and he loved it!! He gulped down 3 oz... which is huge to him. I also might try the orange juice idea. And if he goes back to not drinking milk, I'll give the soy milk a try too! Thanks everyone,

Rachels
04-14-2004, 11:40 AM
I'm late to this discussion, but FWIW, the nutritionist we saw recommended chocolate milk when Abby wouldn't drink regular. She said-- and our ped agreed-- that the benefits of the fat and calcium outweigh the detriments. I still don't give her much, but she does have a little.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

caleymama
04-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Not an issue for us because DD will drink regular milk, but I've heard the same thing that Rachel posted. As part of a healthy diet, a little chocolate milk isn't a bad thing.

pritchettzoo
04-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Quik also has a vanilla flavor (strawberry too, but not sure about the allergic concerns with that one). A friend had success using the flavored syrups made for coffee.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)