PDA

View Full Version : When can you feed chocolate?

amp
04-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Okay, I know I could probably easily look this up, but I'm here now and I know lots of you track when you can introduce stuff. So when can Jake try chocolate. I've been diligent about not giving it to him yet, but I saw some mention giving chocolate in birthday cakes, so I wondered about it in our case. TIA!

McQ
04-13-2004, 01:53 PM
When should you do it? I don't know. I not one of the ones who is always up on that stuff.

When did I do it? About a week before his first birthday I was enjoying a ghirardelli chocolate square and he crawled over and I gave him a small bite. Then another, then another. But it really wasn't that much.

And his birthday cake was chocolate too but he barely eat any of that. Nor did he really get messy in his cake.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

JenaW
04-13-2004, 01:57 PM
I am not the best one to ask either...but my son is only a few weeks only than yours, and he has had chocolate recently. Probably not the best thing for him, but he has gone on a baby food strike and wants whatever we are eating. I was eating a choc ice cream sandwich and gave him a tiny piece. He loved it and kept begging for more. YIKES! Pretty much the only things Carter HASN'T eaten yet are cows milk (I'm still nursing), egg white, hot dogs, and peanut butter. I can't think of much else he hasn't tried and wanted more of. We have no food allergies in our family and I guess I am pretty laid back.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03

Momof3Labs
04-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Colin has had a small amount of chocolate. Chocolate has a laxative effect, so I would keep it in moderation!

egoldber
04-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Sarah had some around her first birthday at a (another child's) first brithday party. And then her first birthday cake was chocolate. Since then she's had some chocolate here and there, again mainly at parties since we don't keep it at home (to prevent ME being tempted, LOL!). I gave her a Hershey's Kiss recently and you should have seen her face, LOL! Total bliss! :)

COElizabeth
04-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Oh, I feel so bad!!! On Easter James ate both blueberries and a fair number of chocolate mini Whopper eggs (from the Easter basket he got at Grandma's). The diaper that night was a mess! I knew at the time that the berries and candy weren't the best choice for a babe trying to go his first day in a week without diarrhea, but he was enjoying them so much I let it go, and I didn't know about the laxative effect of chocolate. Oh well, I guess it was still worth it to him. :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

jubilee
04-16-2004, 02:27 AM
I also gave Logan chocolate cake for his birthday...which he loved! He's my son alright! :) But I don't plan to give him anymore chocolate for a long time. I haven't given Logan cookies yet either. He thinks yogurt is the ultimate treat, so I will keep it that way for a while more.