PDA

View Full Version : Better Graham crackers?

nitaghei
04-13-2004, 02:05 PM
DS loves, loves, loves graham crackers - as I recently discovered. And then I read the label. YIKES!! Enriched bleached flour, trans fats, corn syrup . . . . I've never bothered reading the label before because I just use them for crust for pie and cheesecake - where being healthy isn't exactly a concern! :)

But I CAN'T feed these to my child. Or can I? He can eat 3 or 4 crackers at a time, for maybe a total of 4 or 5 in a day, and not every day.

I did a quick run to Trader Joe's, but didn't find anything equivalent. Any thoughts or experience with a healthier version of graham crackers? Alternatively, please assure me that it doesn't matter that DS gets a few graham crackers.

TIA

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

suribear
04-13-2004, 02:09 PM
First of all, he's gonna be okay, really :)

I would still look for a healthier alternative if it's something he will eat a lot of. That's my philosophy. For once in a while treats, no biggie, but for something that will become a staple in his diet, maybe find something better.

Trader Joes (here we go again :)) has graham crackers. I've never checked the ingredients, though, so I can't say whether they're any better. I'm sure Whole foods has something.

Kris

egoldber
04-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Sarah LOVES Barbara's Go Go Grahams. They are organic and have no trans fats. Not exactly healthy mind you, but "better". Whole Foods has them, but most groceries around here also have them. I know my Safeway has them.

I personally love that they are small and round, shaped very similar to a Ritz cracker. They fit terrific in a travel snack container, and I send a few to preshool for her "dessert" with lunch.

I also really like that they are in a box with three individually wrapped sleeves. That way when you open one sleeve, the other sleeves stay fresh until you open them. I don't know how many boxes of stale graham crackers I've thrown away over the years, having used a few crackers and then the rest have gone stale!

HTH,

COElizabeth
04-13-2004, 02:56 PM
I found a brand called Mi-Del at Whole Foods, and if you want the most healthful graham cracker, that's probably it. 100% whole wheat flour, honey, unsulfured molasses, no trans fats, etc. BUT, I think they taste gross. DS isn't a big fan, either. If you bite into one not expecting it to taste like a graham cracker, it's better, but I still can't really get into them.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

egoldber
04-13-2004, 03:40 PM
LOL! I tried those once. They WERE gross!

nitaghei
04-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks everyone! It's the trans-fats that really bothered me. There is an extensive history of heart disease on DH's side of the family - so I am trying to avoid trans-fats as much as possible. DH actually had elevated cholestrol last year (modifying his diet and working out took care of that) - and I'm trying to keep the trans-fats out of his diet as well.

Hopefully my Giant store will have the crackers Beth recommended, and I can always check out Safeway.

I might just try to make my own (HA!). I'm pretty sure that the Moosewood cookbook had a recipe. Making this kind of stuff (breads, cakes, cookies, muffins) myself seems to be the best way to deal with the nasty trans-fats - if only I had an extra few hours every day!! :)

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

jennifer13
04-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Here too, we're avoiding all trans-fats. Another vote for Barbara's Go Go Grahams. Here's two tips: in the regular Safeway they are in the health food section. At Whole Foods they are in the COOKIE isle! Of all things! I searched and searched for months. Duh.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03