PDA

View Full Version : Bread Recipes?

stillplayswithbarbies
04-13-2004, 04:25 PM
All the talk about bread makes me want to make my own, so I know what is in it. Does anyone have a healthy bread recipe that can be made in a bread machine?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

caleymama
04-14-2004, 09:45 AM
We make probably 90% of our bread using our bread machine. I occasionally buy English Muffins, bagels, or sandwich rolls. We also use the bread machine for italian/french bread, dinner rolls, focaccia, kuchen, pretzels, and pizza dough. I made hamburger buns once that actually turned out pretty good! We have homemade pizza approx. once a week with bread machine dough. The two cookbooks we use are:

"The Bread Machine Book" by Marjie Lambert
"The Complete Guide to Bread Machine Baking" by Better Homes and Gardens
We also use recipes from the bread machine owner's manual, and our regular BH&G cookbook has a couple.

I don't know how the recipes we use would stack up against the kind of bread discussed in the other thread, but I feel good knowing exactly what goes into the bread we eat and we just enjoy making it. DH keeps sourdough starter that he made in the fridge so that it's always ready to use.

Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread (1 1/2 lb. loaf)
From "The Bread Machine Book"

1/2 cup very hot water
3/4 cup rolled oats (not quick oatmeal)
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. wheat germ
2 2/3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 tsp. yeast

Put oats in bread pan. Pour very hot or boiling water over the oats and stir. Let sit at least 15 minutes. Put remaining ingredients in bread pan in order suggested by your bread machine instructions. Set for white bread, medium crust.
* Just a note - we use the powdered buttermilk that's available in the baking section at the grocery store. We add the water with the wet ingredients and the powder with the dry ingredients.

Multi-Grain Bread (1 1/2 lb. loaf)
From "The Bread Machine Book"

1/4 cup water
6 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. wheat germ
6 Tbsp. oat bran
1 1/4 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. yeast

Put ingredients in bread pan in order suggested by your bread machine instructions. Set for whole wheat bread, medium crust. Press start.

These are just two examples, but there are many more that we like. Anything in particular that you like? I'd be happy to post more, but I'm not totally sure what you're looking for.

cinrein
04-14-2004, 10:06 AM
This is a recipe from my brand new South Beach diet cookbook. I haven't tried it. I've had good results making bread recipes in the bread machine even when the recipe wasn't written for that. Just add the ingredients in the order suggested by the manufacturer of your bread machine.

If I were making this for Anna, I would omit the walnuts and use regular sugar or honey for the sugar substitute.

Whole Wheat Loaf

From The South Beach Diet Cookbook

1 ½ cups water (at room temp.)
2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar substitute
3-3 ½ cups whole wheat bread flour
2 tablespoons gluten flour
½ cups walnuts, chopped
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons quick rise yeast

In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, combine the water, oil, sugar substitute, whole wheat bread flour, gluten flour, walnuts, salt, and yeast to form a rough dough. Let the dough stand for 15 to 20 minutes.

Place the dough on a lightly floured board and knead for about 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.

Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise in a warm spot for about an hour, until it has doubled.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Turn the dough onto a board and shape in into an oblong loaf. Coat an 8 ½” X 4 ½” bread pan with cooking spray. Place the dough in the pan. Bake the bread for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven and turn the bread out onto a cooling rack.

Makes 16 slices.

Nutritional Info: Per slice: 130 calories, 5 g fat, ½ g saturated fat, 4 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

stillplayswithbarbies
04-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Those recipes sound delicious.

I was looking through my cookbooks last night and found some that I can probably modify, but they all call for some regular white flour too.

What kind of oil can I use that would be the healthiest? Canola oil? Olive oil?

And for sweetener, I assume honey is better than sugar? (Logan is over a year old so she can have honey now)

I think I'll go to the health food store and see what they have in the flour section. Maybe there is some stone ground wheat flour.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

caleymama
04-14-2004, 11:33 AM
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/start/ahome/main.html
This site has some other bread recipes and they also have an online catalog with all kinds of bread making ingredients and products. We have used and liked King Arthur products but I haven't ordered directly from them.

We've also used a variety of Bob's Red Mill products:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/

Bits and pieces taken from "The Bread Machine Book:"

Flour:
Most recipes call for the addition of some bread flour because it has a higher gluten content and will produce a better bread. Whole wheat flour alone rises more slowly, rises less, and can also have a slightly bitter taste. Bread flour has a higher gluten content than all-purpose flour and bread made with bread flour will rise significantly higher than bread made with all-purpose flour.

Sweeteners:
In small quantities - 1 or 2 tablespoons - sugar, brown sugar, honey, and molasses can be substituted for each other in equal amounts. Sugar and brown sugar can always be substituted for each other. Tablespoon for tablespoon, most honeys are slightly sweeter than sugar. If the recipe calls for more than 2 tablespoons of sweetener, substitute 2 parts honey for 3 parts sugar (e.g., 2 T of honey for 3 T of sugar). Molasses is not as sweet as sugar. When substituting more than 2 tablespoons, use 4 parts molasses for 3 parts sugar. Maple syrup can be substituted in equal quantities. Liquid forms of sugar should be counted toward the total liquid content of the ingredients. If the substitution involves substituting a dry form for a liquid form, or vice versa, you will need to adjust the ingredients accordingly.

Fats:
Butter, margarine, vegetable oil, shortening, and lard can be used interchangeably. In small quantities there will be no noticable difference. If you are substituting more than one tablespoon of a solid fat for a liquid fat or vice versa, the amount of the other liquid in the dough will have to be adjusted.
* I think we've used olive oil or canola oil without a problem when the recipe calls for oil

Rachels
04-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Look at www.kingarthurflour.com. There are a zillion recipes there, and they're soooooooo delicious! ETA: LOL. I didn't see the above post!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

alkagift
04-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Karen,
I know why you'd want to cut the white flour out, but in all honesty the bread does have a better consistency with a bit more gluten that's available in white flour--especially if you're using a bread machine. Having said that, the all wheat recipe I have says to add 1/4 oil and 1/4 dried milk--perhaps that's the difference!

I think canola works, olive would impart a taste that I wouldn't care for, but it depends on what you use the bread for--I put jam on it! The recipe I use also says that molasses or maple syrup is an alternative to honey. I use molasses for the iron.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

egoldber
04-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Canola and olive oil are both unsaturated, so either is fine. I usually use canola for bread, since it has less of its own flavor. You can also buy gluten separately and add it to whole wheat flour to give it some extra rise.

Here's a recipe from "Electric Bread'. Its an older book, from 1991, that we got when we got our bread machine.

100% Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/2 cups + 2 T water
3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 T dry milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 T butter
1 1/2 T gluten
1 T molasses
1 T active dry yeast

WARNING: I recall this recipe needing LOTS of tweaking. The proportion of liquids and solids changes depending on how "wet" your flour is, local humidity, etc.

When I make bread in the bread machine, I usually let it do all the dough and the first couple rises. Just before the last rise, I toake out the dough and let it do the final rise in a loaf pan and I bake it in the oven. That way the machine does all the real work and I get a pretty loaf. :) But my machine is the old-fashioned kind that makes the vertical loaves, and I honestly hate that!

FYI, my Safeway carries King Arthur Flour, but perhaps not the whole wheat kind. And I'm almost positive that Whole Foods has whole wheat bread flour. Be sure to check the bulk food section too.

And if you really get into making whole what bread, I HIGHLY recommend "The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book". These people are SERIOS about their whoel grain bread, LOL! :)