PDA

View Full Version : What was your baby's first solid?

todzwife
04-13-2004, 05:26 PM
And when did you give it?
I started Dallin on the usual rice cereal, but he got clogged up pretty fast. So I started putting a little prune juice in it, and all seems well so far. :) He had his first "official" helping right on his 6 month "birthday". I was going to try to wait, but he's stealing all my food from me, so I was sure he was ready. :)He likes tastes of anything I happen to give him. He even does well with small bits of bread. And shhh don't tell, but he REALLY likes ice cream, LOL of course I only let him taste it, but he would have eaten it all had I let him!

pritchettzoo
04-13-2004, 07:12 PM
We started with avocado, also on her 6 month birthday (complete with a candle since we're cheeseballs!). Then sweet potato, applesauce, banana, green beans, prunes, and oatmeal. We're off to Whole Foods to find her next eating adventure!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

papal
04-13-2004, 07:23 PM
In the last two weeks we have tried:
Applesauce - found some in Trader Joes that was just apples and well water.. nothing else added.
Mashed bananas - so far this seems to be the favourite
Mashed sweet potatoes - this comes second
Mashed pears - peeled, cut and cooked for 5 mins.
Gerber Rice Cereal - she hated this
Earth's Best Oatmeal - she tolerates this
Mashed Rice and Lentils - don't ask... my mom wanted me to give this to her..long elaborate process to make this.
Mashed cooked peas - she did not like this one bit

I think that is it so far..i have kept a diary but i cannot find it right now.

ETA: Forgot applesauce.. i was trying to go in alphabetical order..applesauce, bananas etc... but somehow i ran out of ideas at C, since carrots are not allowed.

todzwife
04-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Why no carrots?

papal
04-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Something about nitrates in them.. i just read about it briefly in this forum.. i think it was suggested to delay them till a year.

todzwife
04-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I read that too, but I thought it was if you make your own...I bought a few jars ( I think 3) of the gerber organic carrots...should I not give them to him? They were further down my "list" anyway. :)

papal
04-13-2004, 07:43 PM
I think you can give the jarred ones....just not the ones you make on your own. Hope someone else can confirm this for you.

houseof3boys
04-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Ryan started almost at 6.5 months with barley cereal and his first "official" solid was avocado.

sadie427
04-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Satter's book says homemade carrots are ok but should be limited to a few tablespoons at a serving. Young babies (usually under 6 mo) have low stomach acidity, so eating foods high in nitrates (like some carrots, beets and spinach) can cause a disease called methemoglobinemia, which involves breathing problems. She said this should not be a problem after 6 months, but just to be sure she said limit these vegetables to a few tbs and to avoid carrot juice. I do give homemade carrots, but started after 6 months. People say that the jarred ones are screened for nitrates, although I've never seen that in writing.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-13-2004, 09:38 PM
we started with banana at almost 8 months.

I didn't do cereal until around 10 and a half months.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

amp
04-14-2004, 10:31 AM
We started with rice cereal, then oat and then I think bananas or applesuace was next.

babymama
04-14-2004, 03:04 PM
I tried rice cereal first (over 3 days), but DS didn't like it. He was about 4 1/2 months then. I waited about 2 weeks (then tried mashed banana - which he loves. The second solid I tried was avocado, but he didn't take to it as well. With the banana he opens his mouth really wide, tilts his head back and gets so tense he shakes because he's so excited about it! It's very funny. Last night he ate a whole banana. I'm planning on trying a pureed apple recipe from wholesomebabyfood.com this week. We've also let him suck on a piece of rice cracker (Crunch Masters brand, available at Costco - no wheat added!) and given him a few grains of jasmine rice. We also let him suck on/bite a piece of cantalope. DS is teething and he seemed to like biting on the cold cantalope chunk, maybe it relieved some teething pain? I read later (to my horror!) that melon is a high allergen food to be avoided for the first year. Looking forward to trying pears and sweet potatoes.

Good luck with your baby's solid food experience!

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

murpheyblue
04-14-2004, 05:07 PM
We had the same problem with rice cereal so we switched to oatmeal which has been wonderful. DD's first other food was sweet potatoe. Funny, she loves her veggies: sweet potatoes, green beans, peas and especially carrots (didn't know they were bad - thanks ladies!). Apples and pears she's ok with but she really doesn't like bananas. I can't really blame her because I don't like them either but I thought all babies like bananas. :) Oh well.

Ali
Mom to Megan 9-29-03