PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with breastmilk?

LucyG
04-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Can you do it? I have a large freezer stash that I need to use up, and was wondering whether or not I could use it (thawed) to make things like muffins for my DD. I know that ebm is good for only 24 hours after thawing, but does this apply when it's been baked into something? Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
04-13-2004, 09:37 PM
You can use it for cooking. I once used some breastmilk in some cookies I was baking. I needed 1/4 cup of milk and I had none in the house, so I expressed some and baked with it. :)

Here are some recipes

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/ready-solids-links.html#momfoods

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

LucyG
04-13-2004, 09:44 PM
ROTFL!!! Karen, that is hilarious (and very enterprising of you, I might add!). So, is there any specific length of time that baked goods made with ebm stay good? If I thaw milk and bake with it, in other words, are the muffins, cookies, etc. good for several days, just as they would be with fresh cow's milk?

houseof3boys
04-13-2004, 11:00 PM
As many times as I have scoured kellymom, I have never seen that page Karen! LOL. :)

Does Jake know he had bm cookies?

stillplayswithbarbies
04-13-2004, 11:42 PM
hmm at the time, he was the nursling, so a better question is does he know I used some of "his" milk to make cookies LOL

(only my husband and I ate the cookies, it's not like they were for a bake sale or something!)

I assume baked goods make with breastmilk have the same "shelf life" as if they were made with cow's milk. The milk cooks in them just the same.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

houseof3boys
04-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Oh, I thought it was Logan's ebm and Jake may have had a cookie or two. I think that is so cool Karen. :0

You are the Martha Stewart of ebm.