PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get toddlers to eat veggies?

daisymommy
04-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Joshua is the stereo-typical toddler who doesn't like to eat vegetables. Thankfully he will eat fruit (probably because it's sweet), but unfortunately he will only eat ceratin kinds of fresh fruits--he mostly likes them still pureed. I know, I know. Throw the tomatoes at the bad mommy! But I keep trying to get him to eat fresh fruits diced up, cooked diced veggies, etc, and he won't have any of it. So, rather than risk a malnutritioned child, I give him a bowl of pureed fruit, which he will eat himself with a spoon. But veggies? Forget it!
Are there any clever ways to disguise vegetables so that a toddler will eat them? And I doubt Veggie-Booty puffs count ;)

Torey
04-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Can you puree some veggies and mix them in with the fruit? I mix pureed kale and bananas together and feed them to DD. She seems to like it (although she wouldn't eat kale by itself). :)

Momof3Labs
04-13-2004, 09:32 PM
We're not having much success with veggies here, either, but Colin did pig out on corn bread (with whole kernels of corn in it) the other night. Though he wouldn't eat the same bread last night. I plan to try zucchini bread and carrot muffins (gotta find a recipe first) soon, too, as I suspect that he will eat those with little complaint.

cinrein
04-14-2004, 10:11 AM
I was going to try carrot muffins too out of desperation. I found a promising recipe on epicurious.com---it's called Carrot Muffins-LOL! I was going to follow the suggestions in the comments section on reducing oil and sugar and omitting the nuts and coconut, and also make mini ones. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

nitaghei
04-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Amy,

Will he eat eggs and cheese? If so - quiche is the best way to get veggies in - chopped spinach, mushrooms, broccoli. Also a frittata - eggs, potatoes and other veggies.

Neel actually is good about veggies - but doesn't eat fruit anymore. But he did eat blueberry muffins. I'm going to try banana bread next.

Also, do you season the veggies in any way? Neel likes them with butter and a tiny bit of salt. And, of course, Indian style - the spicier, the better.

Another big hit is sweet potato (steamed or baked) - cut into cubes and sauteed with butter and a bit of brown sugar. My extremely picky nephew just wolfed this down.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

nitaghei
04-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Lori,

I have a great recipe for carrot bread (I make mini loaves) that can be whipped up in the food processor. Will try to post tomorrow!

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

cmyk
04-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Amy,

I'm in the same boat! I've grated raw carrots very fine and mixed it into peanut butter for DD. Pancakes are a hit around here. Here's a good recipe for pumpkin pancakes:

PUMPKIN SOUR CREAM PANCAKES
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk or buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream, light is okay
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla

1. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in medium-size bowl.

2. Combine remaining ingredients in small bowl. Slowly whisk liquids into dry ingredients.

3. Butter griddle. Ladle approximately 1/3 cup of batter per pancake onto pan and cook over medium heat until bubbles appear in top. Turn over and cook for a few minutes on the other side. Do not overcook (they should be moist).

SERVES 2-3; MAKES SIX TO SEVEN 5-INCH PANCAKES OR TWELVE 3-INCH PANCAKES

I like this recipe for carrot muffins from Cooking Light. I reduce the sugar. I also like to add some wheat germ (and some of the drained pinapple juice to compensate for the wheat germ). I once substituted some pureed peaches I had on hand for the apple butter and they were just as moist and they didn't have a peachy taste.

MORNING GLORY MUFFINS
Ingredients
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded carrot
1 cup shredded Rome or other cooking apple
3/4 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
Cooking spray

Directions
Preheat oven to 350º.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl.

Stir in carrot and next 5 ingredients (carrot through pineapple); make a well in center of mixture. Combine oil and next 4 ingredients (oil through egg whites); stir with a whisk. Add oil mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Spoon the batter into muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350º for 25 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; cool on a wire rack.

Nutrition Facts (per Serving):
165 calories
27.9 g carbohydrates
18 mg cholesterol
5.2 g fat
174 mg sodium
2.6 g protein
21 g calcium
1.1 g iron
1.2 g fiber

Good luck!
Shelley