PDA

View Full Version : Solids eaters: is my DS ready for spicy food?

deborah_r
04-14-2004, 01:52 AM
Somewhere I thought I read not to give babies spicy food...I'm thinking it was to get them to like the flavor of the food on its own. But now foods that he used to gobble up, he's not that interested in. However, if I saute it up in soy sauce, or tonight I gave him taco-seasoned veggie crumbles that we were eating, and he loves it!

Is it OK to give him this stuff if he likes it? Am I setting him up for some bad habit or another down the line?

Imperia
04-14-2004, 03:37 AM
I might be wrong here, but I think the idea about not giving babies spicy food is rubbish (unless it gives them tummy aches or something). First, babies in utero "taste" whatever you eat through the amniotic fluid. Then, if you BF they taste spices, garlic etc through your milk! SOme nutrionists have speculated it is actually a natural process that allows babies/toddlers to gradually become used to the tastes and spices used in their native culture. I am sure in places like India, Thailand and Mexico where spicy food is the norm babies eat it and are fine! You might wnat to watch heavy use of regular soy sauce though because it is high in sodium, but I don't think a little soy sauce, garlic or seasonings will hurt him in any way.

Imperia

Kimberly H
04-14-2004, 06:21 AM
In the world of China adoption, the children that come from the province of Hunan are known as "spicy" babies - partially from temperment and partially from their love of spicy food. Even my Anhui girl LOVES Mexican and Italian food, the zestier the better. She's 16.5 months old and eats fajitas and salsa!

Like Imperia said, I think if it doesn't hurt their tummies and you start out slow to watch for any side effects, let them eat spicier foods. Kai sounds like he's ready for some spice in his life ;)

lizamann
04-14-2004, 09:23 AM
I think it's fine as long as you watch out, like the others mentioned. My dd had chili the other day and loved it. A 55 year old woman in the restaurant couldn't believe it. She also loves seaweed seasoned with cayenne - but it gave her a rash on her mouth and I was worried about her rubbing it in her eyes. She only eats the plain seaweed now.

lmariana
04-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Gabriel's favorite food is my Coconut Curry Chicken Soup, he loves it! I make a special batch (without honey) just for him. :) When we go out for Mexican, I'll dip a Cheerio in the Salsa, and he gobbles it down. My hubby and I both have a spicy and exotic pallette, so we thought we'd get Gabe adjusted as early as possible.

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

nitaghei
04-14-2004, 10:09 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with spices. I'm fairly sure that they are rarely allergenic, and some actually have good properties. I don't remember off the top of my head - but I think tumeric, for example, has some beneficial properties. There's one spice - I don't know the English name - that acts as a digestive, and according to my mother, makes the baby less gassy when being BF'd. She may be right - DS has never had problems with his tummy, and I've been eating mostly Indian food through my pregnancy and BF'g.

DS has been eating all the Indian food (lots of cayenned and other spices) I cook for several months with relish, and no ill-effects. In fact, he just gobbles it up. IMO, it's a good thing to get your child to eat the same food that you do. I, for one, have no intention of cooking separate meals for him on a long term basis. As soon as he's proficient with a spoon (hopefully in the next couple of weeks), he's getting the same food I eat.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

amp
04-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Actually, my concern was directly the reverse of this. I figured if I didn't get DS used to all the spices and flavorful food we eat, I'd find myself making mac & cheese every single night for him! LOL! So Jake loves our flavored food. He's had things spiced with salt, pepper, garlic (our personal favorite), basil, oregano, etc. He's eats taco meat w/ salsa in it, marinated meat & chicken, meat & pasta w/ various sauces, chili, etc. Suffice it to say, he hates the bland Gerber pasta pick ups and lil entrees!

Imperia
04-14-2004, 02:50 PM
YUM,

that cocnut curry chicken soup sounds heavenly! Is it thai? I love Thai food, sweet and spicy! If you ever feel like sharing your recipe let me know.

Imperia

McQ
04-14-2004, 03:02 PM
I ate very spicy throughout my pregnancy and when I was BFing. We used to joke that I was going to give birth to a chili pepper :)

I gave Declan a jalapeno cream sauce one night. And you should have seen the look on his face ~ pure delight!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

lmariana
04-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Actually, it's African! We ate it at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boma Restaurant and fell in love. Here's the recipe (remember to omit the honey for little ones).

Ingredients:

1 chicken, whole - cut in eight (I use 4 skinless/boneless chicken breasts)
8 ounces onions, diced chunky (about 1 onion)
8 ounces red bell peppers, diced chunky (about one pepper)
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
8 ounces potatoes, diced chunky (about 2 potatoes)
8 ounce diced tomatoes, drained
8 ounces coconut milk (you can also use lowfat coconut milk)
3 tablespoons curry powder, toasted
1 quart chicken stock
5 ounces honey
½ cup cilantro, chopped
To taste cayenne pepper (adjust/add slowly)
To taste salt and pepper
Roux (3 ounces butter and 3 ounces flour)

Method:

Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon curry powder. Sear chicken in the skillet until golden brown and ¾ done. Set aside.

Melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux and set aside.

Heat chicken stock, curry powder, coconut milk and roux. Let simmer until thickened.

Add the vegetables (except the cilantro) and seared chicken. Cook until chicken is done.

Add honey and cayenne pepper. Adjust seasoning. Garnish with cilantro.

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

suribear
04-15-2004, 02:01 AM
Nothing wrong with it as long as they can tolerate it! I eat VERY spicy food and haven't changed my habits for either pregnancy or breastfeeding.

In fact, ds only got into eating solids after we gave him spicy food to eat! DUH. I guess he's used to it :) I would worry more about using too much salt or sugar for flavoring.

Nita, are you talking about fennel?

Kris

nitaghei
04-15-2004, 10:15 AM
No, though fennel is good for digestion,too. The Hindi name of the spice I was referring to is "ajwain" - I'm not sure if there even is an English name. I buy it at the Indian grocery store, and I've never seen it anyplace else. It's used in the seed form, just like fennel, but the flavor and taste are very different. Typically added to vegetables. It sort of looks like caraway seeds, but I'm almost positive it's different.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD