PDA

View Full Version : Any BFing Toddlers who don't get any other milk?

etwahl
04-14-2004, 05:55 PM
just curious. dd is 13 months and currently only receiving breast milk. i've given her a couple tastes of rice milk (because we have that in the house) and she was "okay" with it, but not overly thrilled. she's still nurses like crazy. just curious if others plan to only give breast milk until they stop. my current goal is 2 years.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

lisams
04-14-2004, 06:05 PM
*raising my hand*!! DD is 17 months and has had maybe 3 sips of milk. She didn't really like it and there is no reason for me to press the issue right now. She nurses about 4 times a day and eats plenty of dairy (cheese, yogurt, butter, cottage cheese, pudding). I think my goal is 2 years but then again I initially said my goal was 6 months :) so we'll see.

Lisa

COElizabeth
04-14-2004, 07:21 PM
It wasn't my plan, but it was James'! We just weaned, at 18 months, and I haven't gotten him to drink any kind of milk (plain, chocolate, orange, strawberry, instant breakfast, etc.) either before or afterwards. My ped is unconcerned as long as he gets 3 daily servings of dairy or other calcium-fortified food. He's just gotten over rotavirus and isn't meeting that right now, but I'm going to try to up his intake in the next few days.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

LucyG
04-14-2004, 08:08 PM
My DD is almost 14 months old, and has only had breast milk. I will probably introduce whole milk in the next month or so, just so that she can get used to it. I am not planning to wean anytime soon, but, based on what I've read about toddlers and how they develop very strong habits (and cling to them!), I want to introduce her to whole milk sooner rather than later. I still expect that most of her milk will be breast milk, but I have a feeling that getting her to try and accept a little whole milk will be easier at 15 months than at two years. I'm thinking I might offer the whole milk in a cup once a day, maybe with a snack, and then nurse for the rest of her milk.

Momof3Labs
04-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Tammy, don't expect her to like milk right away - it can take days, weeks or months for her to accept milk. So even if you plan to stick with breast milk until you stop nursing, I'd suggest introducing milk a month or two before weaning.

It took Colin about 3 months to take to milk (after we discovered his lactose intolerance).

etwahl
04-15-2004, 08:21 AM
that's actually good to know!

i did read something the other day that was interesting to me. humans are the only group that drink milk after 2 years of age. and we're the only ones that suffer from osteoporosis. but yet i know that since i don't want her drinking juice really, she'll need some other beverage besides water when she hits 2.

i don't drink milk at all. i am lactose intolerant, and i hate the taste. i used to drink chocolate soy but cut it out when i went on the elimination diet. then i switched to rice milk (which i'm not fond of the taste, but have grown okay with it) but only use it in cereal.

i have a feeling since evan and i don't drink milk, she might not be a big milk drinker either. but i am glad you said it takes a while. when the babysitter (my good friend) was here for 2 hours on saturday, and she fed her 8 month old a bottle of formula, apparently lauren was wanting some of course. instead she gave her the glass or rice milk i had put together for her, and lauren drank quite a bit of it. so that was a start!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

nitaghei
04-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Tammy,

DS started on cow's milk at 14 months, and that was mostly because I wanted to drop my pumping session. Until then, the only other liquid he'd had was water.

It did take 4 weeks for him to actually drink the milk. I started with mixing EBM and milk, and then gradually reducing the amount of EBM until it was all milk. Now he drinks one 6 oz sippy of milk a day, and he's still nursing 3x.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

suribear
04-15-2004, 01:32 PM
DS is 13 months and I'm planning to continue nursing and *maybe* give organic cow's milk as a backup in case he asks for milk and I'm not around (rather than pumping). However, thus far dh just feeds him solids when I'm not around, so it hasn't been an issue.

Kris

gour0
04-16-2004, 11:21 PM
What about Vitamin D? Do you give drops?

suribear
04-17-2004, 03:30 AM
I don't give Vit. D drops. We spend a lot of time outside so he gets *plenty* of sun exposure.

Kris

COElizabeth
04-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Stacey,

When I remember, and especially if his diet has been really poor that day, I give a multivitamin liquid supplement by Schiff. It's peach flavored, and James loves it. It does have the recommended daily amount of vitamin D. I do not worry too much about him getting it daily, because now that the weather is warmer, he is outside and has more skin exposed. We live a mile high in a very sunny climate, so there is ample UV exposure if he is outside for a few minutes. In the winter time I will try to be more careful about making sure he gets the vitamins every day.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04