PDA

View Full Version : Medela PIS - worth it?

Tina9544
04-14-2004, 06:56 PM
I am a SAHM but will want to pump one bottle a day (once we are established) for DH or for my mom to feed the baby so I can go out or whatever...
I can get a good deal on the Medela Pump In Style - $200 new...
What do you think? Worth it?
With my son I rented a hospital pump but it was huge and totally not portable...I want something more convenient this time.

firstbaby
04-14-2004, 07:14 PM
I think that's a good deal but someone else might know of a better one. FWIW, my pump has been indespensable and I would buy it again tomorrow! I say go for it!

murpheyblue
04-14-2004, 08:34 PM
I would say that if you plan to pump once a day a really good pump is essential and the PIS is a great pump. I'm a FT working mom so I use mine a ton and have no complaints. If you plan to have another child you can use it again.

Ali
Mom to Megan 9-28-03

stillplayswithbarbies
04-14-2004, 08:44 PM
You can get a brand new Ameda Purely Yours for less than that price, especially since you won't need the carry bag etc.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

msully9901
04-15-2004, 12:03 PM
I've used a PIS in the past and while it's a great pump I wouldn't buy it unless you really think you are going to use it every single day. For sheer portability and ease of use I really like the Avent Isis manual pump. IMO, it works just as well as the PIS and is only $50. I'm bf'ing my 3rd now and work 3x/wk and this is the only pump I use :-)

Melanie

kitmama
04-15-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm a WAHM, and I still use my PIS a lot. It's been great! Personally, I would go ahead and get it for that price.

It's very useful not only for the occasional bottle, but for travelling (don't have to pull over to nurse- just pump and then feed baby from the bottle- when someone else is driving, at least), and it's nice to have a good supply frozen for future use, and also later when you start cereals you can use pumped milk when mixing them up. I've used my PIS more than I thought I would!

marinkitty
04-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Well, I pumped every feeding for 5+ months so I obviously used my pump way more than the average person, but I think the PIS is great! It is so fast and as comfortable as "milking" yourself can be, IMHO. I agree with the car ride comment - I've pumped in the wierdest places -- if you have the battery pack or car adaptor you can do it anywhere. Even if I was only pumping once a day or so, I would want to be able to double pump hands free - just much more pleasant and efficient.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

spu
04-15-2004, 08:45 PM
I'm a SAHM too and I'm so glad I got the PIS (traveller). It pumps very well and is portable so I used it in the car while DH drove so we wouldnt have to keep pulling over every hour or two with the twins. Plus I used it to help manage my supply and relieve plugs.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

ivy
04-18-2004, 10:25 PM
I used to use a PIS and I thought I liked it until it injured my areolas. It made my areolas raw and then my skin started to peel. It hurt like hell and til this day (2+ months later) I'm still not healed. I would not use a PIS ever again! Avent ISIS is much better and I can control the suction better.