PDA

View Full Version : ? on BRAT diet - length to stay on it?

hjdong
04-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Hi all - I hope you can help. Jamie had some diarrhea on Thurs., so we started the BRAT diet. We started him back on his normal diet after 24 hours of no diarrhea and then gave him milk 48 hrs. afterward. About twelve hours later, he had diarrhea again. My DH called the ped., who said to stay on the BRAT diet longer, but he didn't ask how long. Oops. So, I would like to know how long you think to stay on the diet and then how long to wait to introduce milk. I'm concerned that it may be lactose intolerance (thanks for posting the Dr. Sears site) but I want to make sure I wait long enough to reintroduce the milk to be sure.

Thanks in advance,

amp
04-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer to this one either. When we had to do this, due to vomiting and diarrhea, we also tried reintroducing a regular diet, only to find that the symptoms reoccured. So the next time we just tried for several more days (in our case, maybe another 4 days?) and that time it was ok. I'd just say try another day or 2 longer than what you did before. If he's feeling better otherwise, then my guess would be that his innards and digestion and colon would be back on track again soon too. If he's still feeling cruddy, I'd keep up the BRAT at least until he seems improved. Just use your gut, or call your ped again. It's probably just a trial and error thing anyway. Good luck!

hjdong
04-15-2004, 01:35 PM
Poor James woke up this morning constipated. He's miserable. So, I called the Dr.'s again and they said, "Well, it's because you've been on the BRAT diet," which, HELLO, they told me to go back to! They told me to take him back off. I'm of course, concerned he'll have diarrhea again but I can't really keep him constipated either. Anyone else have a kid bounce back and forth? Or this time, is he really ready to be returned to his normal diet?

marinkitty
04-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Holly,

This happened to us a few months ago. Our ped. said BRAT diet for 4 days (she had been REALLY sick - vomiting and diarreha - visit to the ER for an IV b/c dehydrated) and she got stopped up after 2 days (small wonder with all those bananas). We stuck mainly with the BRAT diet, but eased up on the bananas (did more applesauce instead) and added a little prunes in (not too much tho). Our dr. also said carrots are fine do add to the BRAT diet. She was fine after that. Oh - and our version of the BRAT diet was oatmeal instead of rice b/c DD doesn't eat rice cereal. Maybe oatmeal would be less constipating but still gentle enough on his digestive system.

HTH,

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)