PDA

View Full Version : Nasty cold while BF--what can I take?

lmintzer
04-15-2004, 12:19 PM
I know I'll get some quicker answers here than I would spending the day on the phone trying to get in touch with my doctor . . .

Jack shared a nasty toddler virus with me, and I am miserable. My head is stuffed up that I have pain in my left eye socket from sinus pressure. I don't think it's a sinus infection because I don't have a fever--just some really bad congestion.

I've used the nasal spray for the last 2 days, but I think I'm maxed out on it for a while (don't want to get rebound congestion). So now I'm wondering what I can take while BF. Joshua is almost 5 months and is exclusively fed breast milk (mostly nurses, gets whatever little bit of pumped milk he'll take when I'm at work). He's not on any solids or formula, so he'll (in some quantity) whatever I take without anything to "buffer" it, so to speak.

I've heard Sudafed is bad for milk supply, and that's the last thing I need. But I'm just so miserable. I'm at work, and my head is just throbbing.

Also, what pain relief meds are okay? Tylenol? Advil?

Thanks,
Lisa

nitaghei
04-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Tylenol is definitely okay. My guess in Advil is fine - because it's Ibuprofen - and they gave that to me for post-partum pain relief in the form of Motrin. I did take Sudafed, and I noticed a drop in my pumping output - but it wasn't much, and definitely temporary. I found that half the recommended dose of Sudafed was enough to make me function at least.

Hope you feel better soon. And
www.askdrsears.com

has good information, too.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

signsing
04-15-2004, 11:17 PM
We have a Mother's Resource Center here at my hospital and they have been excellent. I have taken sudafed at their rec. By now I think your milk supply is established so it should be okay. In the beginning its better not to take anything.
Try plain saline too. I buy a saline nasal spray, there isn't any meds in it so its fine to take it. Also I like to get the medicated baby bath and take a bath before bed. Its got vicks and when you sit in the bath it clears your sinuses, Its made for babies but it works for adults too. I use it before bed when I have a cold and it always makes a difference.
Tylenol and Ibuprofen are ok.
Hope you feel better soon.
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

new_mommy25
04-16-2004, 07:08 PM
I suffer from severe sinus headaches and take Sinutab all the time which is Sudafed and tylenol. I've never noticed a drop in my supply but I also do not pump.