PDA

View Full Version : did I wean right? and is this enough milk?

Xariklia
06-21-2004, 12:53 PM
DD is 11.5 mos and i haven't BF her for 2 days. It's a little sad, for me that is, she had no problem with the transition. I was down to nursing twice a day, and just recently once, and so I didn't offer at all the other day, and she didn't even care. If she doesn't see the boob, she won't go for it. What I'm concerned with is how much milk she gets now. She was never really interested in formula so the Ped said it was ok to use whole milk, and she drinks that, but not alot. I'm lucky if I can get 12 oz. of milk in her a day. is that too little? i feed her yogurt and cheese to try to make up for the calcium. But I was just interested in knowing if anyone elses baby drinks that little milk at this age. DD weighs about 17 lbs. she's a peanut. but eats 3 meals a day without a problem. I can't get over how sad I am that I'm no longer breastfeeding. It's almost as if I wanted DD to tug at me in need of it. But I guess i'm lucky cause I've heard how difficult weaning can be. I should be thankful that she weaned herself, in a way. thanks for listening.

Momof3Labs
06-21-2004, 02:44 PM
You might want to try to bump her up to 3 meals plus two snacks per day. One of the meals/snacks can be a bottle or sippy of formula or milk, but toddlers need the more frequent meals to keep their small tummies full.

Will she drink water or any other liquids? Is she wetting enough diapers? If so, you are probably fine, and will find that she will increase her whole milk intake with time. Or maybe not, but it sounds like you are doing the right thing (yogurt and cheese, etc).

heidi_timms
06-21-2004, 04:49 PM
This is common for the transition period I've heard (from these boards). My DD took about 2 weeks to really start drinking whole milk in larger amounts. At mealtimes, she would take like 1-2 sips when we first began. She still doesn't drink as much as she did when she was under 1 year and BF, but she is a good eater. It felt like she wasn't getting anything to drink when we first transitioned. I just fed her lots of fruits and cheese so she got enough fluids and dairy.

I started right with sippies during the day and with the advice here, I took out the spillproof valves so the milk just pours out. Our ped didn't want her to go to any bottles since in her opinion, DD would be taking a step back instead of forward since she was BF before. She still drinks the milk without the valve at almost 14 months and we do a bottle still in the morning and at night. We plan to take away those bottles pretty soon, but I don't want to do too much too soon.