PDA

View Full Version : do u give an almost 8 month old breakfast as soon as he/she wakes up

TraciG
06-21-2004, 03:53 PM
we have been giving Sydney a bottle then 3 hours later breakfast/bottle ,but by doing this her lunch ends up being around 2:oo or later, after breakfast I wait 3 and a half hours to 4 hours between lunch & dinner, she gets a bottle with lunch & dinner, only first thing in the morning is when she only gets a bottle, I think her schedule needs to change, any suggestions, also I give breakfast as soon as she gets up I would have to give a snack before lunch because it would be to early for lunch, she gets around 7, the latest het first bottle is would be 7:45.

thanks

Momof3Labs
06-21-2004, 04:26 PM
I didn't quite follow your whole thread, but why are you waiting three hours after a bottle for breakfast? At 8 months, solids are for practice only, so I would suggest waiting an hour after her wake-up bottle to give her a solid meal for breakfast. That's what we did - solids about an hour after nursing - until Colin was closer to a year.

murpheyblue
06-21-2004, 04:35 PM
DD (8.5 months) gets up at 6:00 or 6:30 and nurses. She eats breakfast around 8:00 and then goes down for her first nap around 9:00.

jec2
06-21-2004, 06:32 PM
I kind of got lost in your thread too. But, here is what we do:

4-5 a.m. baby wakes for 1st feeding and falls back asleep in our bed
6-7 baby wakes and nurses again; we get up and play for about 1/2 - 1 hour
7-8 baby eats breakfast (fruit & oatmeal usually)
8:30-9-ish 1st nap w/nursing
10-10:30-ish baby wakes and nurses
1-ish baby nurses
3-4 ish baby nurses
5-6 baby eats dinner; bath; story; play
7-ish baby nurses and off to sleep.
midnight baby usually wakes to nurse

There are also lots of little snuggles and nursings throughout the day sometimes.

TraciG
06-21-2004, 11:23 PM
7:15 TO 7:45 6 oz formula ( The time depends on when she wakes up )

10:15 or 3 hours from first bottle - cereal/fruit 6 oz bottle

1:3o to 2:00 lunch, lately some sweet potato then 6 oz bottle

6:00 dinner, lately, chicken with potato , fruit then 6 oz bottle

she has about 24 oz of formula a day plus she eats 3 times, she sometimes doesn't have the whole bottle but usually does the little piggy, I try to stop feeding her too much so she'll have most of the bottle since I think it's still more important the first year ?

jbowman
06-21-2004, 11:32 PM
That's exactly what we do. Ellie nurses first thing in the morning and then she gets a "solid" breakfast 45 minutes to an hour after that.

pritchettzoo
06-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Since she's getting the majority of her nutrients from formula, she should be getting the bottle first. Then the food next--try giving a bottle then waiting 30 mins-1 hr and giving solids. Also, my DD is 9 months and we're still on one solids meal a day plus a snack. I wouldn't be too concerned about getting 3 solid meals in at this point. I don't know how much formula she should be getting, but it definitely should be the cornerstone of her diet instead of solids.

Anna

Rachels
06-22-2004, 07:41 AM
ANna is right. That's a lot of solids for an eight month old. She does not need three solid meals a day at this stage. Think in terms of structuring the day around her bottles, and then let her experiment with foods after she has the bottle. The calories from solids are nowhere near as complete or balanced, and it shouldn't be usurping her formula at this age.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm