PDA

View Full Version : Blocked duct or something else? Ouch!

ecmay
06-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Help! I have a hard, painful lump the size of an easter egg in one breast! I'm guessing it's a blocked duct, but I was under the impression that a blocked duct appeared as a much smaller hard spot, like a marble or a pea. I still exclusively breastfeed my 4-month old, but nursing is not helping. Haven't called doctor yet because didn't realize it was getting worse and worse until after doctor's office closed. Advice??? Thank you!!!

hez
06-21-2004, 11:10 PM
If it is a plugged duct, nurse, nurse, nurse. Every time you can get the baby on that breast, nurse! Massaging the area during nursing sessions helped us, too. My DH had to massage the area once because it was too tender for me to do it.

Try this link for more info on plugged ducts (and their cousin: mastitis): http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html There are lots of great ideas here for resolving plugs.

Thinking of you-- I haven't had a plug in a long time, thank goodness, but I do remember how painful it was.

ETA One of my plugs was larger than a pea, but no experience with one as large as you're describing.

ecmay
06-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Thank you Heather! Helpful website.

My DS is down for the night (therefore not available to nurse), but I'm going to try to pump and massage. Not sure why the lump is so big, especially because it materialized in less than a day. Keeping my fingers crossed to avoid mastitis.

Elizabeth
Mom to Charlie, 2/16/04

Rachels
06-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Nurse and rest, nurse and rest! You should also start taking lecithin NOW. Take 1200 mg three times a day. It will help the plug resolve. Ouch! Nurse! Rest! Lecithin!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

Chelsey333
06-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Call the doctor as soon as you can. I had one, and it is so painful. I heard (sounds crazy) that putting a cabbage leaf on your breast helps, not sure why though! Also a warm wash cloth might help or a hot shower. And then just keep nursing. But I know that does not relieve it too much, so hopefully your doctor can give you a prescription. Someone mentioned rest, my lactation consultant said the usual reason women get an infection is bec of lack of rest.

Laurelsmom2002
06-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Yep second the wet warmth- we put a wet (with water) newborn diaper in microwave (be careful it can get very hot) and used that- to hold against the plugged area, position the babies nose so it points toward the duct, that will increase the suck at that area, I also found sitting in a chair- on a cushion w/ dd sitting on arm of chair got her in just the right posisiton to get the duct free. And then nurse like crazy.
I have heard that cabbage leafs will help w/ engorgement, but I've also heard they help dry one up when they arn't bf, so use caution w/ how much you have them on
HTH

jec2
06-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Rachel, what is the lecithin and what exactly does it do? I keep getting plug ducts, it seems like i get them one after another.

chlobo
06-22-2004, 08:08 PM
I found that the hot shower with massage in the shower, followed by pumping (if baby is not avialable)and more massage really helped me clear it up.

It is probably a build up of milk behind the duct that is making it so large.

Rachels
06-22-2004, 10:01 PM
You can get lecithin in capsule form at most drugstores. It's a natural phospholipid-- generally good for the circulatory system, made up of mostly B vitamins. It works wonders for healing or preventing plugs. You can take the dose I recommended to get rid of them, and take it just once or twice a day after that to help keep them away. It's good stuff.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

JMS
06-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Warmth has really helped relieve my blocked ducts in the past. This may sounds a little odd, but I use those hand warmer things that you put in your ski gloves in the winter. They get pretty warm (if too hot, I'd wrap in a paper towel or napkin) and are small enough that I'd just tuck one into my bra, and are not wet (I tried the warm wet diapers too..).
The only problem is that it may be hard to find them in stores since it's now June :(

HTH