PDA

View Full Version : She wont nurse in the afternoons!

SeekerMage
06-22-2004, 03:17 AM
Help! Lil'bit has been fighting her afternoon and sometimes evening nursing sessions. Plase dont tell me she is wanting to wean! She is fine in the mornings and usually before bed but lately her lunchtime and dinner time feedings are a fight sometimes without her nursing at all. Im worried about my supply because Im unable to pump at these times and when I do pump I havent gotten much more then an ounce. Any suggestions? Im hoping its just because the past few days we have been out of the house and at either my moms or babysitting so she is distracted and sometimes over tired and really hungry (not a good combo).

(Also I have cut back her solids meals to maybe two a day down from the three plus she was getting. She seems to have gained some weight back -thanks for this suggestion of more milk vs more food as per ped.....but now Im wondering if she is fighting because she really wants the food? Is this possible...she does like her solids afterall. Sigh....please someone have some suggestions!) Thanks!

Imperia
06-22-2004, 04:42 AM
It might be a nursing strike, most babies won't self wean before 1 1/2-2 years old. Have you checked out the kellymom website?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

she has very good advice for your situation.

HTH

Imperia

Rachels
06-22-2004, 07:37 AM
I agree that she's much to young to be self-weaning. Check out that Kellymom link. The other thing I wonder about is teething. I know that when Abigail is teething, she's often more uncomfortable later in the day, so that might explain her refusal then as opposed to other times. You might try some Motrin or a homeopathic teething remedy a little while before you nurse and see if that helps.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm