PDA

View Full Version : When did everyone introduce peanut butter?

cimberdog
06-22-2004, 11:55 AM
My son is 18 months old. He's not had any peanut butter yet, but other kids I know who are younger have been eating it since they were one and have been fine. We've got no history of food allergies in our family. Sam had some allergic reaction to something a few months ago, although we never could figure out what it was. He got hives and we had to give him benadryl. I think it was when he had a chicken pot pie.

I've got to believe he's been exposed to some nuts, based on just commercial food processing.

So, when did you all introduce (or plan to introduce) peanut butter?

stillplayswithbarbies
06-22-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm planning to wait until age 2 at least.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mharling
06-22-2004, 01:38 PM
We plan to wait until 2. In the meantime, we have given him soybean butter as an alternative. It definitely has a soy taste to it (no, duh!), but the consistency and color are very similar to peanut butter. He loves it!

Mary
Lane 4/03

Chelsey333
06-22-2004, 02:06 PM
I think I gave it to my son around 18 mos. The doctor said it was ok to give a small amount then wait to see if ds has a reaction. He was fine and now he is 2 and loves peanut butter and jelly. I was desperate to introduce it bec my son is such a picky eater.

Sarah1
06-22-2004, 03:27 PM
I have a peanut butter story. When Audrey turned a year old, I gave her toast w/peanut butter (not a huge amount, just a light spread), since the nutrition guide my ped's office gave me said you could give PB after a year.

Well, Audrey--who eats anything and everything and has no food allergies (of which I'm aware, anyway!)--threw up pretty violently after having peanut butter, and I could tell her stomach hurt the rest of that day and the beginning of the next day. I felt SO bad. BTW, this is the *only* time she has ever thrown up (knock on wood!), and I know it was the PB that caused it.

At her 15 month checkup, I mentioned this to my ped. She said they advise waiting until the age of 2 (I then pointed out to her that they need to revise their literature, which says peanut butter can be given after a year!). You could always try giving a teeny bit to your DS and see how he does, but I am definitely waiting until Audrey is at least two before I try it again!

Laurelsmom2002
06-22-2004, 03:36 PM
We're waiting until 3 since dh has anaphalactic nut alergies- btw his brother and him are the only ones in the family that do, and nut alergies are not usually outgrown.
If you do start early- be sure its a thin layer- it can be a choking hazard,

deenass
06-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Just want to advise those of you DYING to give your little one peanut butter ... if your child is allergic they will likely NOT grow out of the allergy and it can be DEADLY!

I have 2 friends with children under 2 who both have a severe peanut allergy. One discovered it when she gave her 8 month old peanut butter and she reacted and the other discovered it when her husband touched their son after eating a peanut butter sandwich.

It is much easier to delay introduction then to have to avoid peanuts and all peanut products (including those processed in plants with peanuts) for life.

Try soynut butter ... your child will NOT know the difference.

ginalc
06-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I think you're wise to wait with the peanut butter. You're going to be feeding your little one for many many years. No need to rush! :)

I recently visited a pediatric allergist as my 18 month old has had some serious eczema flare-ups lately and I couldn't find the reason. The allergist suggested waiting to feed peanut butter until DS is 4 years old due to the eczema. DS has no food allergies that we are able to find, but he is sensitive to some sauces and something else environemental. (probably dogs since we recently got a beautiful puppy!) :)

It's funny to consider food at the different age groups. I stand back and brace myself as my soon-to-be 14 year old enters the kitchen. It's hard to keep the fridge stocked with the foods she prefers "this week." Her tastes change but she's ALWAYS hungry! :) :) :)

gina, mom to 3

mharling
06-23-2004, 12:51 PM
GINA!!!!!!! It's so good to see you here. :D

Mary
Lane 4/03

vikivoly
06-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Some of the PPshave advised giving a small amount to see if there is a reaction. I don't recommend that. You can try something several times without incidence, but the next time have a reaction. I'm going to wait until DD is 3 since DH's niece is severely allergic to peanuts and almost died from it at age 1 (she's now in her 20's and still can't eat peanuts/peanut products). DD has had a peanut butter cookie by accident without any problems, but I'm still waiting.

kaitlinsmommy
06-24-2004, 01:45 AM
My ped. recommende waiting until 2 but I just started giving it to dd last week and she is fine. But definitely wait if you are concerned.

ginalc
06-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks, Mary! :)

I've learned SOOOOOOO much from these boards. I love to visit but rarely respond anymore. Glad to see some friendly "faces!" :) :) :)

gina

JElaineB
06-24-2004, 09:12 AM
DS will not be having any nuts until 3 years old. I have not knowingly given him anything that says "may contain peanut traces" or "processed in a facility with peanuts/tree nuts" either, though I know most people are not that cautious. I did find out that that information is not always on the package (a la Annie's Cheddar Bunnies) so I wouldn't be surprised if he has eaten some traces of nuts.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

barbarhow
06-25-2004, 01:31 PM
We tried it at 14 months in the cafeteria of the hospital. He has had it a couple of times since but doesn't really like it. One bite and spits it out....
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

egoldber
06-25-2004, 03:44 PM
My DD has never had peanuts or tree nuts and she will be 3 in August. We have a family history of shellfish and also seasonal allergies. FYI, any type of allergy can be a risk factor for nut allergies. To me, it is just not worth the risk, and we are avoiding them until age 3.

And FYI, there are several classrooms in my DD's preschool that are nut-free rooms, since there are several kids in her school with nut allergies. Nut allergies have become relatively common.

HTH,